The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What's wrong with my g? HELP!

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

What's wrong with my g? HELP!

Just got my timing belt changed, and im sort of worried. When i started the car up it started vibrating like crazy! I took it out for a ride on the highway and it gets worse when i accelerate! I think maybe it might be the engine mounts, they might have been tightened because they have to be removed when the change is done. Maybe?
    I hate it though because I value my ride quality and it is seriously sucking right now. I also got an aftermarket cam gear put on, could that be what is making it vibrate?, maybe the extra weight? I really need some help on this one. I dont know what to do. :cry:
    7G SOHC 5SPD

Take it back to wherever you got the Tbelt done and make them redo the work, chances are they had the balance shafts 180* backwards when they put the new belt on.

When you take it back you should get a balance shaft removal done! Im in the process of doing one! Actually getting the parts right now.

I would definitly take it back because the same thing happen to my G, and after I took it to another place...

They said it was a tooth off and the bottem balanceshaft belt was not aligned corectly with the cam.... I got crazy vibration around 3000rpm and beyond....

Oh shit! i never thought of that. Can that damage my car if i keep driving it? How long can i push it? I have too see my girl in queens 2morrow so i wont have enough time! Can i fix this problem without replacing the balance shaft?
    7G SOHC 5SPD

As long as it's just the balance shafts not being aligned right you will be ok just gotta suck up the vibration, but if they messed up the timing I wouldn't risk it. Tough choice to make man.

Proto
    The hell with balance shafts. Deleted them on the 64 now on the 63t.

I just got back from the shop where i had the change done. They say the vibration is the natural vibration of the car and that i shoudn't worry about it. But i insisted that i know my car and this vibration isnt natural. Well, he took it for a ride and still sed there was no problem. I asked that they show me the balance shaft and they hoisted the car up and showed it to me while the car was running. I have to say, the belt didnt look out of wack or anything, and the balancer wasn't wobbling like i thought it would. Everything seemed ok! He also sed that maybe its because everythings not broken in yet, so we decided to give it a week and see what happens. So now i have a couple of questions

Is this a common occurence on our G's when the timing belt is changed?
    If i get rid of the balance shaft, will i still have this annoying vibration?
    Am i risking future unforseen damage to the engine by removing the balance shaft?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I want my old G back... :(
    7G SOHC 5SPD

your balance shaft is just liek the vibrator mechanism in yoru cell phone.

its a shaft with an offset weight on it.
    when the shaft spins, it creates vibrations.

the balance shaft system on the 4g** motors works by having two oppositely spinning shafts,
    spinning simultaneously.

this eliminates engine vibrations.

if one of those shafts,(namely) the rear balance shaft(under the oil pump sprocket) is backwards,
    then you will get excessive vibration.

this is easy to do, since you can have the timing marks lined up,
    but the rear balance shaft be 180* out of phase.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thanks stunr, I probably should have been more specific in my post but that is exactly what I was trying to say. The shop messed up the work and they need to fix the problem. If they keep jerking you around like this then take it somewhere else and don't go back ... or be a man and do the work yourself :P