The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I'm wanting to improve my mpg!! HELP!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 50
    Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant
    spark plugs
    Hey guys...any tutorial for V6 engine?? I've done my alternator, oil change, brake pads/rotors, but never done changing spark plugs before...sad isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by jhendra83
    Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant
    spark plugs
    Hey guys...any tutorial for V6 engine?? I've done my alternator, oil change, brake pads/rotors, but never done changing spark plugs before...sad isn't it
    You'll have to remove the intake plenum to replace the plugs on the V6. There's a tutorial buried in the garage section. As long as you have the plenum off, change the spark plug wires at the same time. You should be able to pick up a set of NGK Platinum plugs and NGK wires for around $70. I just replaced mine last week. go to www.sparkplugs.com. They're a major NGK reseller
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

i gotta quick question, well as all you guys already know, the standard size being 195/65r15 (i wouldnt be surprised if most of you guys forgot that because your on 17-20's lol but when my dad bought the galant it needed tires off the back (looked like racing slicks) so we went to the nearest tire shop and picked some up, butttt they were 195/60r15, would that affect my gas milage, or speedo reading? (i know its not a big difference but i was just curious since im going to need tires soon and i like that it kinda lowers the galant lol)

TGC Regular
    Don't make complete stops. Try slowing down as much as you can without stopping as you approach the red lights/stop signs. Then when it's time to go, go easy on the throttle.
    Don't drive like a maniac but not like a grandma either. Just 1 step above driving like a grandma.
    Don't have anything on the roof.. or don't be towing anything, not like the G is reccommended to do so anyway.
    Lose as much weight to the car as you can, if possible drive solo.
    Use the gas most recommended (or most appropriate for the engine).

I believe there has been some threads about saving your gas mileage.. there might be some more info in the other, older, threads. Might help
    'o4 Acura TL: Dynamic ;; AEM | P2R | Falken

Sound.Vision.Soul // Drive.Drift.Dream

silverlightning
    tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure :smt002

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    Better MPG? Lose weight..

Drive around with all the windows rolled up....less wind resistance
    myth busters tried that, to use only ac or only windows down, the difference in the MPG was so small that it didnt matter. like .00001 or something stupid

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Go with a 5W-30, 10W-30 is not bennoficial at all unless you live in the Sahara desert. I hate it when people go with 10W-30 cause they think its "thicker". Its only thicker on start up, when your engine needs thinner oil, when they are at operating temp they are the same weight.

Inflate your tires, even going higher than recommended isnt a bad thing, it will ride a little rougher, but it reduces rolling resistance. I usually run 42 psi in the front and 45 in the back.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I started puttin it 91octane and my mpg went up, car runs smoother also. And its a 4banger! Works great tho.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Re: I'm wanting to improve my mpg!! HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by sinx

i'm gonna replace my starter, since it's choking at the beginning of the day but after aawhile it get better then the next day it chokes in the morning again..
    How can you be sure that it's ur starter's problem? Have you got it tested?

Bro, my car has cold start problem too. When ever I start the engine in the morning no matter summer or winter, white smoke, if i am correct, comes off the exhaust pipe, and it smells badly. The start sounds not right,too. It sounds like metal slide against metals, and it cranks very lazy and slow. You call it "choking". I am afraid that at some cold morning my will not make it and choke to death.
    Sham it Mitsu, my mom's 97' accord cranks happily w/ 145k mikes on the motor, whenever cold and warm.

As many 4G64 does, my engine has the "clat clat clat clat " noise, when warmed up to the RPM under 1000. It can also be heard idling at stop lights, and I am thinkin to use rislone or Marvel Mystery oil on the next oil change.

I guess the problem of cold start could that the engine is lack of lubricate, therefor it dry starts at the next cold morning, which all the oil drops are in the oil pan. So, if it is a dry start I am going to use oil stabilizers like "lucas". I don't have any experience with those stabilizers. Here I am asking for help too.
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self tranny fluid changed
    Self oil change
    Next protject: Timing belt change

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    well all i can say is that lucas stuff works and works bad ass every now an then i put some octaine booster from lucas and my car feels likes it a whole other car plus i get like 30 mpg on hyway with my heavy foot lolol

If anyone else posts that premium gas or octane booster makes your car faster or gives better mileage i'm going to kill someone. :smt075

The ONLY thing higher octane will do is either allow you to advance timing more without seeing knock or raise boost pressures without seeing knock or some combination of the two in order to make more power. Under no circumstances does premium gas or octane booster do anything to increase performance/mileage.

Kthnxbye

222whp/250wtq

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    then how come when i drive to fresno from lax with 91 octain and no octaince booster when i get there im on e and when i go over to fresno again this time with ocatin booster and a full tank of gas i get there with more than half the tank to spare i think it makes a diffrence

having the proper tire pressure, clean air filter, and driving like a grandma would give you that MPG u want!! maintenance will make your g run and work smooth!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2
    then how come when i drive to fresno from lax with 91 octain and no octaince booster when i get there im on e and when i go over to fresno again this time with ocatin booster and a full tank of gas i get there with more than half the tank to spare i think it makes a diffrence
    I4 or V6? If its the 4g64 then there is something wrong with your engine but if you have the 6g72 I believe they are supposed to be run on premium fuel anyway.

222whp/250wtq

HYBRID MOTOR SWAP!!!!! lol..j/k... :mrgreen:
    My car has mood swings..

hello, newbie here from the philippines.

noticed that our engine here is different for the US market. my 8th gen G comes with a 6A13 engine with a rating of only 163hp at the crank. :(

fuel consumption is on an average is around 7 kilometers to a liter. currently im trying to control my right foot and avoiding the RPM to reach more than 2500 RPM.

are there any after market drop in filter avialable for my engine?

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    u might want to change the timing belt and water pump if you don't know that they have allready been changed... if your timing belt slips or breaks, your car will be a great big paper weight.

X10!!!

If you want to know THE ABSOLUTE BEST POSSIBLE WAY to increase gas mileage, disreguard changing your timing belt. Cause after your car breaks down you'll be walking everywhere, and in turn save a ton on gas.

Seriously, if your car has 130,000 on it and you dont have any service records, you need to get that timing belt replaced ASAP. It should have been done twice by now.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior View Post
    I4 or V6? If its the 4g64 then there is something wrong with your engine but if you have the 6g72 I believe they are supposed to be run on premium fuel anyway.
    Yeah I decided to try and use 89 octane this tank of gas and I burned through a quart of oil and my car is knocking really bad. I don't think I am ever going to do that again. The oil thing may not have been the gas' fault though. It has always had an oil problem but I thought I fixed it when I did my plugs and valve cover gaskets which were leaking...

Are there any other common places for our cars to leak oil? I guess the best thing for me to do is put it up on the rack one day and clean every place on the motor I can see and then wait a couple of weeks and then pick it up on the rack again and look for a leak.

slip stream anyone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast