The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What Spark Plugs are best?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30
    Bad Galant

What Spark Plugs are best?

I was wondering what kind of Spark Plugs to buy for my 1999 ES V6? I want to buy a set of Magnacore spark plug wires but not sure what brand of plugs to buy for the best performance? My Galant has 74,000 miles. :?

check this post...Black2k1GTZ is running a group buy on the magancore wires....you might still be able to get in on this...
    I'm looking to get iridium plugs to use with my magnacore wires....my car is an 01 with 29,500 miles on it

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5176
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

the factory ngk's are the best. dont mess with all that aftermarket crap, because its all marketing nonsense.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>the factory ngk's are the best. Â*dont mess with all that aftermarket crap, because its all marketing nonsense.</div>

whatcha mean the factory ngk ones....

arent iridium supposed to be really good

2001 Galant ES

I run bosch platinum +4's and have been happy with them. Have yet to try any iridiums.

I'm also running the bosch platinum 4's for 12,000 miles so far with no problems. Just to save money, make sure you change your wires and plugs together. You're gonna have to remove the intake plenum, so you may as well do everything while you're under there.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

I played the name game and got some Denso Iridiums I don't have any other plugs to compair them to except for the factories. didn't realy notice much though. I don't see how you can see a difference from just plugs but I got the magnecor wires also.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

the bosch platinums are actually about the cheapest plugs ever made.
    the NGK platinums are of such a much higher quality, its not even funny.

seriously, NGK has the best plugs, hands down. Second place is denso.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I got the Denso plugs and the Zex plugs.. I got a couple sets of them, im thinking about getting some of the NGK's plugs just to compare..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Bad Galant
    What other good Spark Plug Wires are out there that are thicker than the Magnacore 8.5 wire set? Looking for a 9 or 10 mm.

Magnecor also makes race wires that are 10mm, but they'll never fit in your wire looms. Why would you want to go thicker than 8.5mm anyways?

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

i agree with manybrew - the stock plugs are the best - there is no visable power gains or any outcomes, except for lasting longer of the aftermarker plugs on stock 4 in line or v-6 car. At least nothing I've seen of.
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>i agree with manybrew - the stock plugs are the best - there is no visable power gains or any outcomes, except for lasting longer of the aftermarker plugs on stock 4 in line or v-6 car. At least nothing I've seen of.</div>

yep.. there is a total misconception that somehow a platinum or "splitfire" spark plug somehow increases performance. well, thats TOTALLY false.
    the ONLY reason to use platinum or iridium plugs is to extend the service life of the plugs. thats why they install them on the v6's.. cause it takes 3 hours to change the damn things! the 4 cylinders have no such issues, hence the reason for standard spark plugs.
    the ONLY way a person will get a performance increase by replacing a spark plug is if the original plug is failing or worn to the point of causing misfires.
    thats it.

J. T. Z.
    I have the Bosch Platinum +4's and have had no problems with them. I wouldn't waste the money on the iridiums. $4 a piece for the Bosch as opposed to $11 a piece for the Denso.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    yep.. there is a total misconception that somehow a platinum or "splitfire" spark plug somehow increases performance. well, thats TOTALLY false.
    the ONLY reason to use platinum or iridium plugs is to extend the service life of the plugs. thats why they install them on the v6's.. cause it takes 3 hours to change the damn things! the 4 cylinders have no such issues, hence the reason for standard spark plugs.
    the ONLY way a person will get a performance increase by replacing a spark plug is if the original plug is failing or worn to the point of causing misfires.
    thats it.
    My dealership says there's no need to change the factory spark plugs until 60K (for the V6's). Is that right Manybrews?

Senior TGC Member
    Yep...well under normal conditions anyway. If you look under your hood you'll see the pretty sticker that says 60k for the platinum plugs. Like Manybrews said, it's hell getting under and back there, they don't like changing them much
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by GalantLsGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    thats it.
    My dealership says there's no need to change the factory spark plugs until 60K (for the V6's). Is that right Manybrews?
    yeah, thats correct... in reality, i would bet 100000 miles is more accurate. when i take those NGK platinums out of the car at 60 k, they look brand new. Frankly, this is the one area i would ignore mitsus recommendations a bit and wait until 100k to change both the plugs and wires if youre looking to save a buck or two.

Awesome! Thanks!

How about the cap & rotor? (I hope I said that right) When does that need to be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by GalantLsGuy
    Awesome! Thanks!

How about the cap & rotor? (I hope I said that right) When does that need to be changed?
    only when failed, unless you like to be safe.
    i havent replaced one YET on a 99 or newer galant.

when I get my magnecore wires should I even both replacing the plugs in my car...I got 29,900 miles...
    and if I should what type of plugs should I get

2001 Galant ES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast