The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Post your Brake setup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    Experienced TGC Member

Post your Brake setup!

Im tired of searching. Ive got nice wheels, but rusty brakes. My car is grindin'. And i aint talking about the song by the Clipse. My brakes are grinding horribly. At this point, i want to replace all 4 rotors and calipers. Ive priced BREMBO, and ive priced BAER. But those cant be the only two setups out there. So i wanna find out what setups you guys have. Hopefully i can find a decent setup by taking some suggestions from you guys.

*My one big concern is, what do i do in the winter? I really want a decent looking set of brakes. However, it seems that once i go with Slotted or Cross Drilled rotors, i cant switch back over to my steel wheels in the winter. Most of those performance brake setups require a 17inch wheel for proper clearance of the caliper. :?

Rotora and SSBC also makes big brake kits for the 3G. You might be able to make work some 2G FWD kits as well. Or if you want a custom setup, you can have them make you one. You can also get the Powerslot Plus BBK and use it with 2pot Mitsu calipers.

The reason why people like the Brembo or Baer setups is that they are simply the best bang for the buck.

My front:
    BAER BBK (330mm crossdrilled/slotted rotors, PBR 2pot calipers, PBR pads, Goodridge SS lines)
    Rear:
    Powerslot Plus BBK (292mm slotted rotors), Rotora/Axxis Ultimate pads

Experienced TGC Member
    PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Pads is what im running

the only bbk kit that will fit under 16" wheels is the powerslot kit. made for the 3g rs/gs. the rotor is about an inch bigger than the factory v6 rotors but then you would still need to get the rs/gs calipers.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    the only bbk kit that will fit under 16" wheels is the powerslot kit. made for the 3g rs/gs. the rotor is about an inch bigger than the factory v6 rotors but then you would still need to get the rs/gs calipers.
    Thank you! Ima try and order them tonite. Im soo sick of being embarassed by that dam grinding noise! :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Stock.
    beat me to it lol

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Experienced TGC Member
    You might be able to make work some 2G FWD kits as well.
    The 2g aftermarket big brakes wont work because the bolt holes are closer together where the caliper brakets bolt up. Trust me on this....roman and I tried to make it work but the caliper brackets wont line up by about 1/2 inch.

Bear also makes a kit to fit 16" rims. You just have to call them and ask for them. They do it for the 2g guys so might do it for the 3g as well.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Experienced TGC Member
    Bear also makes a kit to fit 16" rims. You just have to call them and ask for them. They do it for the 2g guys so might do it for the 3g as well.
    Ima look into that too

Censee
    im running front and rear Evolution Brembo calipers... with brembo cross drilled rotors up front, stock rotors at the back and stoptech steelbraided lines...with hawk pads... they feel great.... i believe that wilwood makes a 4 pot big brake kit ,their calipers are smaller than the brembos, so u might wanna contact them to see if that works for u.... i believe they have to special order them too... but i think getting ureself some used brembos from the evo will be ure best bet,,,if ucan find them cheap they are well worth it....

I currently have brembo discs on my 8G V6/VR4, with the standard (V6) mitsu dual piston calipers and GoodRidge stainless hoses and Ferodo brake pads.

This will be swapped in a couple of months for mitsu GT3000 4-piston calipers, new Brembo's, new GoodRidge stainless hoses and again new Ferodo brake pads.

Couple of pics from the stuff now waiting to be installed:

damn i want those 3000gt vr4 calipers so bad... nice setup

im using 99 gsx front and rear calipers with slotted rotors and some autozone no dust pads lol

i wanna get the front and rear power slot kit if i cant find a way to fit the vr4 calipers
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

POWERSLOT rotors front & rear
    1999 V6 calipers (dual piston front)
    GOODRIGDE ss lines all 4 corners
    AKEBONO SP cermaic pads

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok so lwt mw get this straight...

99 Eclipse GSX Calipers are compatible with the 99-03 Galant?
    Evo calipers are also compatible with the Galant? Ive heard about this before, but i didnt bother to pay attention to what year worked.

Brembo Calipers are compatible, just keep in mind that you need wheels with an offset that will clear them
    00 Eclispe GT dual piston front calipers are compatible as well. You just need the proper brackets for them
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

the 2G GSX calipers are the same calipers on the 1999 v6 (ESV6, LS, GTZ). mitsu went to a single piston caliper on both i4 and v6 in 2000.

the EVO 8-9 calipers are bolt on but u will also need the EVO 8-9 rotors and at the minimum 17" wheels w/ a low offset in order to clear the calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    the 2G GSX calipers are the same calipers on the 1999 v6 (ESV6, LS, GTZ). mitsu went to a single piston caliper on both i4 and v6 in 2000.

the EVO 8-9 calipers are bolt on but u will also need the EVO 8-9 rotors and at the minimum 17" wheels w/ a low offset in order to clear the calipers.
    so basically the calipers for 2000 and on 8G's are the same? For example a brake pad made for 03 I4 can be used for an 01 V6?

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax

Not just the proper offset but proper spoke design. Not all 17s will fit.

Anyone who plans to do this your best bet is to get OE EVO wheels since they are a guaranteed fit.

95-99 gsx calipers are the same as the 2000 v6 calipers the are both dual caliper... you dont need to change the caliper bracket or the backing plate or the oil lines just swap out the caliper, pads and rotors thats it
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    R1 Concepts front cross drilled & slotted rotors & TE Motorsports Ceramix pads.
    Stock drums out back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast