The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to prevent a crank walk

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

How to prevent a crank walk

Is there a way or a kit that can prevent a crank walk?
    7G 4G63 SOHC want to be a 4g63T

No
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

Proto
    Buy a 6 bolt.

doesnt always help^^

if its gonna happen, just kiss you block goodbye and wait for it like i did
    i went ahaid ang got another motor b/c i could tell it was about to go

Experienced TGC Member
    The way it was explained to me is that..... Crankwalk occurs when you have a heavy ass clutch and the car has been setting up over night and there is no oil in the bearings and when you push the clutch in to start the car the bearings are dry and it takes atleast 30 seconds after the car is started to lubricate them. Therefore.... to DECREASE and not ELIMINATE your chance of crankwalk is to disengage your clutch saftey switch, start the car and let it idle for atleast 30 sec before you slap it in drive and haul ass. Below is the discussion DOHCStunr and i had on galantforums.net (HIS EXPLINATION)

crankwalk is caused by oil starvation to the thrust main bearing.
    on 6bolt motors the thrust bearing has a more direct oil supply.

but the key is in this,
    on 6 bolt motors the oil squirters are fed from their own dedicated oil galley.
    on 7 bolt motors the oil squirters are fed by the exact same galley that the mains bearings use.
    7 bolt oil squirters were basically a check valve. just like a speed bleeder there is a ball and spring in there.
    what hepeens is over time the oil squirters on a 7 bolt motor get stuck open.
    this causes a loss in oil pressure to the main bearings.
    now, because there i slots of oil available, and because the loss in pressure isn't too much, none of the standard main bearigns are greatly effected by this...
    but the thrust bearing is not directly oiled. so when the squirters near it become stuck open,
    the thrust bearing doesn't get the oil it needs.

so now this bearing as you can see is already in danger.
    now lets think about when the thrust bearing gets its worst duty..
    when you start the motor cold, the thrust bearing is dry, so there is a period where there is nothign more than metal on metal with that bearing... since it is not directly oiled it takes a second or two to get any oil to it... this of cousrse will be even longer when you have failed oil squirters.

since you have to press the clutch in to start the car...
    you are putting ALL the pressure from the pressure plate pushing back against the thrust bearing.

now factor in a heavy clutch liek an act 2600,
    and you can jsut see how this is a recipe for killing a motor.

magnus builds 7 bolt motors with no oil squirters,
    and they've had ZERO crankwalks since for themselves or any of their customers.

good news for you is that unless you have a 1994 GS 2.4dohc motor, your 7 bolt won't have any squirters.

so you won't ahve to worry.

now,
    if you did have oil squirters,
    and you wanted to prevent crankwalk,

you just bypass the clutch saftey switch so you don't have to have the clutch in to start the motor.
    and you will pretty much not have to deal with it.