The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G 6A12 mods [opinion pls]

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

7G 6A12 mods [opinion pls]

g'day all,

got a 1993 7G with a 6A12 engine.
    at the mo the only mods are K&N pod,tower bars front+rear, 17" mags+wheels.
    thinking of moving on to get the best out of the stock engine.
    the mods i have avaliable here are:

RPW's quote...
    all aussie $
    []larger throttle intake $400
    []extractors + flex $700
    [] 2.5 catback $450
    [] cold intake mod k&n pod $500

now the question. would doing any or all of these mods make the difference to the stock engine? or am i just wasting me $2400 AUD.
    any other worthwhile mod suggestions to add perhaps?

thanks in advance guys/gals.
    :D

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    well i would go to clubvr4.com as they are more aware of your engine spec and can tell you in depth the best way to build your motor and whats available etc, considering your engine is turbo a 3 in catback would be preferable with an upgraded downpipe as far as exhuast work, the throttle would make the gas pedal a bit more responsive but wont yeild any real gains in hp and should be saved for a future mod, a new intake mani custom built would be reccomended and could add a few ponies, as far as the cai a lot of turbo owners from what i have heard actually feel thier turboed engine a bit more laggy from that mod and for that price with the horsepower if any you would get is a bit pricey and can be spent in other areas to yeild more gains, a few other good mods to think about would be better stopping power (brake setup) for the exra horses you would aquire as well as a good engine management system so you can tune the mods you currently or will soon have and get the most potential with them, or take it to a tuning place if you have little knowlege and they can do it for you

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    well i would go to clubvr4.com as they are more aware of your engine spec and can tell you in depth the best way to build your motor and whats available etc, considering your engine is turbo a 3 in catback would be preferable with an upgraded downpipe as far as exhuast work, the throttle would make the gas pedal a bit more responsive but wont yeild any real gains in hp and should be saved for a future mod, a new intake mani custom built would be reccomended and could add a few ponies, as far as the cai a lot of turbo owners from what i have heard actually feel thier turboed engine a bit more laggy from that mod and for that price with the horsepower if any you would get is a bit pricey and can be spent in other areas to yeild more gains, a few other good mods to think about would be better stopping power (brake setup) for the exra horses you would aquire as well as a good engine management system so you can tune the mods you currently or will soon have and get the most potential with them, or take it to a tuning place if you have little knowlege and they can do it for you
    thanks for the input fatal.sorry i forgot to clearly mention that me 7G is a non turbo 6A12 version.

i wouldn't waste your money on that stuff.
    if you want performance i think you should turbo it.
    but then again i don't know that much.

honestly, work from the inside out, if you are willing to spend that much money, build the block and the head. after that a turbo would complete your setup.

there are people on this board that know a little about the 6a12, but i shouldn't be that hard to find parts since it's the same as the FTO right?

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    honestly, work from the inside out, if you are willing to spend that much money, build the block and the head. after that a turbo would complete your setup.

there are people on this board that know a little about the 6a12, but i shouldn't be that hard to find parts since it's the same as the FTO right?
    thanks for the advice kolio. i've decided to go for the shortshifter,extractor and cat back 2.5" for the meantime. front cuts with them 6A12 turbos are hard to find here in perth. booked the car on wednesday hopefully by friday i'll be able to post some good news..in that a slight improvement in acceleration and top end speed.
    Non mivec FTOs use the 6A12 similar to the 7Gs here.
    thats the extractors that will be used and slightly modified to fit the galant.

nice keep us posted on your progress.

ohh and you will love the shortshifter, i know i love mine! :D

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

well the Galant is back.
    shortshifter in.
    new exhaust system in.
    2.5" mandrel bents from the downpipe to muffler. so new cat and new resonator too.
    the only slight disappointment was the no go on the extractors. turned out the 6a12 FTO extractors/headers were not compatible with the 6a12 galants.
    seems to pick up better at higher gear. say from 5 dropping to 4..the pick up seems to be better.

hope to post some pics as soon as i find my damn digi cam!!

one potential problem which was smelled...i'll post this on the 7G problems section.