The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo Timer?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Turbo Timer?

I was wondering....is there any other options to "turbo timers" other than letting the car run for a set amount of time to allow the oil to cool? I mean would it be the same if you got an alarm with a turbo timer built in?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

well i guess if u could find an alarm with something like a turbo timer built in, that would be nice, but how much would that be? a turbo timer is around $90. an alarm that fancy might be a few hundred. maybe im wrong, do some research. use synthetic oil too if ur not already. it is more tolerant to high heat.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

this is for future reference. I figure I need another alarm anyways, might get one with it built in. So a few hundred plus 90 wouldnt make much sense to me. So I think it will be good to get...thanks!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Experienced TGC Member
    I had a viper alarm with the turbo timer built in. It was only like $300 installed and it had autostart and all that b.s. It's the way to go if you ask me.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

turbo timer

i like the standalone tt because they have special features like the alternator check and something else that slips me now.. these let the timer determine on its own how long to stay on based on load.. The alarm tt ive see including mine only allow 5 mins to warm down... For regular driving day to day its fine though but if i run it hard i like to warm it down longer.. just fyi
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Re: turbo timer

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathansgalant
    i like the standalone tt because they have special features like the alternator check and something else that slips me now.. these let the timer determine on its own how long to stay on based on load.. The alarm tt ive see including mine only allow 5 mins to warm down... For regular driving day to day its fine though but if i run it hard i like to warm it down longer.. just fyi
    5 minutes?
    wow.

my oil temps are down to regular operating temp in only 2 minutes.

5 is an absurd amount of time for cooldown,

especially on water cooled turbo's
    like almost ever mhi turbo, and all ball bearing turbo's

you only need a couple mnutes max to cool them down.

and if you drive with any kind of sense, you would know to take it easy as you approach your destination so that your oil temps will decline. as opposed to boosting it all the way into the parking space.

i have a dry bearin oil cooled turbo and i never leave it running longer than 3 minutes absolute tops.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    3 minutes is the tops that my turbo timer is set for "cool down". Like what John said...usually in that time the oil temp is cool enough. I have done some research on this myself by observing my oil temps on different driving times and seeing whats the best amount of time to let the TT run by observing my oil temp gauge. Anything after 3 mins doesn't make much of any difference...the oil temp usually stables after that amount of time.

My Greddy TT has a feature to which is determines a amount of time to keep the timer on by drive time and RPMs. I don't use that feature..because the 20 min drive to work, it calculates about 5 mins of cooldown. :?

Some TT out there have additional features like my Apexi in my 7g has a narrowband A/F reading feature. Others will have a time attack feature, speed display, etc etc.

3 minutes is a good enough time for a cool down. 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

tt

i dont water cool as of yet which is stupid on my part but 5 mins is the setting on most of the alarms that ive seen as they are not adjustable from the ones i looked at atleast.. I agree 2 or 3 mins is enough but i run it decently hard to work as im always late so i dont mind wasting some extra gas to ensure good temps...
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    As long as you dont boost the last few blocks you drive your car, theres really not a need to use a timer. I usually only let it idle for a few seconds.
    7g for life!