The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Average Idle???

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    TGC Regular

Average Idle???

Hey can anyone tell me what the average range our cars should be idling?? In Park and in Drive??
    Im Broke! Send Donations to "Brandon's Future Mods Fund"

on almost any stock car, it's around 700-750 rpm +/- 50 rpm in gear unless you have a manual then in neutral.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Experienced TGC Member
    Well, "normal" for my car is about 900rpm in park and 600rpm in gear.. lol

That is the way it has always been..
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, "normal" for my car is about 900rpm in park and 600rpm in gear.. lol

That is the way it has always been.. Â*</div>

How long do you let it warm up?
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, "normal" for my car is about 900rpm in park and 600rpm in gear.. lol

Yeah that was like how my car was before i did the throttle cable adjustment...but now it might be alittle too high....little over 1000 parked and like 950 in gear...is this too high/??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Yeah that was like how my car was before i did the throttle cable adjustment...but now it might be alittle too high....little over 1000 parked and like 950 in gear...is this too high/??</div>
    Yes, sounds like you overtightened the TB cable
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jluv97)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, "normal" for my car is about 900rpm in park and 600rpm in gear.. lol

How long do you let it warm up?</div>

That's at normal operation temperature.

A few months ago, before I replaced the belts and that whole "no tranny fluid fiasco", it would idle dangerously low. When I came to a stop sign it would sit at about 200rpm while in gear and 500rpm in nuetral.

Manybrews gave me some ideas of what to look for and none of it really helped, so I had the timing belt done at my 80,000 mile mark and it has been like this ever since.. :?
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

4G64
    how about spark plug? and the ignition wire... and also check your air filter... my car does that sometimes too....

when I shut the car off for a short time then start it again.. it would idle at alarmingly low rpm.. like 200 in D.. but once I shift into N or P it would ideal back to 900rpm...

Sweetooth
    700 in gear, 900 in park (w/ indiglos)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sweetooth)</div><div class='quotemain'>700 in gear, 900 in park (w/ indiglos)</div>

That's perfect.

Warmed up is normal operating temperature which is when the needle to your temperature gauge goes to the middle. From a cold start, it should take about 3-5 minutes.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sweetooth)</div><div class='quotemain'>700 in gear, 900 in park (w/ indiglos)</div>

Ok i fixed it to normal. But one question...tonight whenever i would be sitting a a stop light with my heat on....my idle would drop to like the third line from the 0. And the lights would dim alittle. Is this normal...it would stay like that until i would turn off the heat.

I have these gauges, i dont remember what the stock ones look like..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sweetooth)</div><div class='quotemain'>700 in gear, 900 in park (w/ indiglos)</div>

Ok i fixed it to normal. But one question...tonight whenever i would be sitting a a stop light with my heat on....my idle would drop to like the third line from the 0. And the lights would dim alittle. Is this normal...it would stay like that until i would turn off the heat.

I have these gauges, i dont remember what the stock ones look like..</div>

Is it with the heat on or the Defrost? Defrost uses the compressor and hence drops the idle a little

TGC Regular
    actually yeah i had the defrost on....i didnt know there was a difference.