The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HOW TO: Put LED Bulbs in Gauge Cluster

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 89
    vorcatec

HOW TO: Put LED Bulbs in Gauge Cluster

I have had a few people ask me about putting LEDs behind the gauge cluster and I think there is a tutorial on here already, but I went ahead and made another one. Enjoy!

Items Needed for Installation
    - 1 Short Philips Head Screwdriver
    - 1 Long Philips Head Screwdriver
    - 1 Magnet Stick (Optional)
    - 5 194 LED Bulbs of Your Choice (http://www.autolumination.com

HOW TO INSTALL LED BULBS IN YOUR GAUGE CLUSTER

Step 1:
    The first thing you want to do is tilt your steering wheel down as low as it will go so when you pull out your gauge cluster, you don't get it hung up on the steering wheel. After you do that, you want to remove the two philips screws with a short screwdriver in the top of the black plastic housing.

Step 2:
    Next, you want to pull out the black housing piece but not all the way. On the bottom left side on the back of the housing, there is a set of cables going into your dimmer switch. You want to push down on the clip on the top of it and pull it out of the dimmer switch. Then you can safely remove the plastic housing.

Step 3:
    Now you will see 4 (four) philips screws in all four corners of the gauge cluster. Using a long philips head screwdriver, remove all four screws and be sure not to drop them. If you do drop them, they will more than likely fall onto the plate above your brake and gas pedal.

Step 4:
    Once you take all the screws out, pull the gauge cluster out and tilt it back a little bit so you can wiggle it out. Don't try to yank it out because there are two sets of wires connected on the back on each side of the cluster. You need to press down on the clips on each set of cables and pull them out of the cluster.

Step 5:
    Now that you have removed your gauge cluster, flip it over and you will see 5 (five) gray bulb holders. Just twist each one to the left (counetr clockwise) and pull them each out. Then you can pull the bulbs from the holders, and replace them with the 194 LED bulbs you have.

Step 6:
    You need to sort of wiggle the LEDs back into the holes and then twist then to the right (clockwise) so they fit nice and snug. Now that you have done this, you can put the gauge cluster back in the dash. Make sure you grab the wire that you took from the dimmer switch and keep it under the gauge cluster so you don't drop it behind it.

Step 7:
    Go ahead and plug the wires into each side of the back of the cluster back in, and then screw the gauge cluster back into the dash. Then, plug in the wires back into the dimmer switch and screw that back in. And you should have a nicely lit up gauge cluster.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW. SORRY IF THIS IS CONFUSING TO ANYONE, BUT I WILL TRY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS OR EXPLAIN SOMETHING MORE CLEARLY IF YOU NEED ME TO.

Post some before and after so we can see the big difference!

vorcatec
    I don't exactly have a before shot since I have already done this. I just made this tutorial after the fact lol. But all you need to do is turn your lights on and see what your stocks look like, then look at mine ;)

where can i buy the LED bulbs for the gauges? Can I install this on my stock cluster? thanks

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deejunx
    where can i buy the LED bulbs for the gauges? Can I install this on my stock cluster? thanks
    i got my LED's from www.speedhut.com. they have i think 3 different colors.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

Experienced TGC Member
    Looks good think I might give it a try
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I just did this about 10 minutes ago....real simple. Only thing...my lights are hella dim, i turned it up all the way and its worse than before. I just bought those pilot led's at pep boys. not sure if its the brand or what not.

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    I just did this about 10 minutes ago....real simple. Only thing...my lights are hella dim, i turned it up all the way and its worse than before. I just bought those pilot led's at pep boys. not sure if its the brand or what not.
    you need ultabright leds, there is a big difference. if you paid less than a dollar each you got the wrong ones, ultrabrights are about $2-3 each. depending on size, coloration and where/how many you buy of course.
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k

i want to do this one :D

we can just get these from any automotive store right?

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdipier2

yea... or ebay if you want something a little brighter and stuff. i got mine from speedhut. all bright and stuff.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24
    Quote Originally Posted by cdipier2

yea... or ebay if you want something a little brighter and stuff. i got mine from speedhut. all bright and stuff.
    how much u spend at speedhut neo?

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

Just an FYI.

For 7Gers, theres those 2 vertical screws, pull out the bezel, then 4 screws on each corner and we have no harness behind.

hmm...thinking about getting new bulbs for my gauges, how much for the speedhut LEDs neo?

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    http://www.speedhut.com/product_deta...UTO_NUMBER=396

About $20 shipped if you get these
    ~Lady Driven~

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity
    http://www.speedhut.com/product_detail.asp?AUTO_NUMBER=396

About $20 shipped if you get these
    kool, thanks divinity!!

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

I work at an auto parts store and we actually have these direct replacement LEDs on the shelf occasionally. I haven't seen them in 194 I don't think (usually its 1157 and other big bulbs, tail light sized) but I'll look it up in the computer tomorrow and see if we can order them.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    this is a big help even if i dont do leds becuz i think a light is dieing bhind my gas and water temp side

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    i ended up using a regular blue bulb today, not as bright but still looks nice

pakisouljah
    will these bulbs work for the inside of a 1999 galant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-x-S...QQcmdZViewItem

please let me kno, thanks!

thanks man ima use this tut

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast