The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 8g drum to disc brake conversion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 55

My 8g drum to disc brake conversion

hi all, it's run1206. My friend and i just finished my drum to disc brake conversion on Sunday. Posted the tutorial on GalantForums.com, but since i'm a member here as well, i wanted to show you all as well. Hope it helps anyone that wants to do the swap. :)

http://galantforums.com/modules.php?...&p=16984#16984

Not sure if there's a tutorial here on the swap already (haven't searched yet, i'm such a noob :oops: ), but here's the link just for a reference. Enjoy!!!

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar

Re: My 8g drum to disc brake conversion

Quote Originally Posted by run1206
    hi all, it's run1206. My friend and i just finished my drum to disc brake conversion on Sunday. Posted the tutorial on GalantForums.com, but since i'm a member here as well, i wanted to show you all as well. Hope it helps anyone that wants to do the swap. :)

http://galantforums.com/modules.php?...&p=16984#16984

Not sure if there's a tutorial here on the swap already (haven't searched yet, i'm such a noob :oops: ), but here's the link just for a reference. Enjoy!!!
    there is one but still.... good looking out.. :D
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Cool. More thatn one tute is good because what someone might not understand in one they might in the other.

Where did you buy the disc brake setup (name of the seller)? :smt002

Experienced TGC Member
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    Where did you buy the disc brake setup (name of the seller)? :smt002
    i know, i know. big thanks to you for selling me the brakes. they work great!! :) :smt023

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

Banned
    cant u just take the whole assembly off the V6 Galant and put it on like that??....srry if its a stupid question but im new to the whole galant thing

Quote Originally Posted by prettyboy4987
    cant u just take the whole assembly off the V6 Galant and put it on like that??....srry if its a stupid question but im new to the whole galant thing
    you could, but you have the E-brake cable problem: the hole that holds the line needs to be modified to fit properly

Banned
    [quote="run1206"]
    you could, but you have the E-brake cable problem: the hole that holds the line needs to be modified to fit properly
    so take the whole assembly off of the GTZ and modify the hole for the e-brake cable and u would get the same effect?...cuzz im just lookin 2 do less work..cuzz in that tutorial it just seems like alot to go thru when u could just swap the whole assembly

Banned
    so take the whole assembly off of the GTZ and modify the hole for the e-brake cable and u would get the same effect?...cuzz im just lookin 2 do less work..cuzz in that tutorial it just seems like alot to go thru when u could just swap the whole assembly[/quote]

Well i got my rear disc setup off a 99-01 es galant... my rear disc setup needed no modifications for the ebrake assembly at all so im not sure if their are differences but my whole setup worked perfectly no modifications except for having to bend back the backing plate because the evo rotors are bigger than stock galant rotors.. But other than that i had no modification problems..

2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

Banned
    Well i got my rear disc setup off a 99-01 es galant... my rear disc setup needed no modifications for the ebrake assembly at all so im not sure if their are differences but my whole setup worked perfectly no modifications except for having to bend back the backing plate because the evo rotors are bigger than stock galant rotors.. But other than that i had no modification problems..
    so then u can just get it off the 99-01 galant and save urself any modifications 8)

there's different setup for different versions of the 8G, the one i got had to have modifications to it. But if you can find a setup that needs no modifications, more power to you.

2002ShadowDeamon
    What kind of changes would you have to do to the brake balance since your changing from drums to disc? Im very interested in this project!

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ShadowDeamon
    What kind of changes would you have to do to the brake balance since your changing from drums to disc? Im very interested in this project!
    i haven't had a problem with the brake balancing, but come to think about it, i might go to a mechanic to see if they do need to be balanced out. (good question, never thought about that... :? )

i'll also ask one of the guys here who did the brake swap as well if they had to balance the brakes as well.

i'll send the reply back when available

2002ShadowDeamon
    When I first looked into doing this swap, I was told that I would have to change the brake balance and the ABS. You might want to see if it is a must or not. But who knows, the guy that told me worked in a junk yard. Dont know how reliable he is.

i kept my original hubs and just put the rest of the setup on my car, cuz when i had the new hubs on (built for rear ABS), i would hear rumbling in the back, like an airplane was folowing me, lol. So i took them off and kept the original hubs on, no rumbling anymore.

But about the brake balancing, that shouldn't be a problem for you, just make sure you bleed the brakes after install and rotate the rotors before the install to ensure no warping.

2002ShadowDeamon
    cool, that is what i was hoping for!

TGC Regular

Nice

I really would like to try this... Ill check the forsale secion. Seems my search is difficult most the time. If someone has some for sale, can they contact me ? :) can just an old 2g 3g eclipse rotor set work for this ?

Re: Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse97526
    I really would like to try this... Ill check the forsale secion. Seems my search is difficult most the time. If someone has some for sale, can they contact me ? :) can just an old 2g 3g eclipse rotor set work for this ?
    you will need them out of a 3g v6 eclipse or a 8g v6 galant. It seems to require less work if they came from a galant. As you don't need to drill out the hole for the ebrake cable. I will help you on your quest. pm cheekz185. he has a set for sale.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast