The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 00-01 brake design changes

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

00-01 brake design changes

im just looking to replace my brake pads. the rears arent a problem. the fronts.. ugh...

websites list 2 kinds for my 2001 v6. from 02/98 to 05/00, and 06/00 and on.

i searched and saw that the brake setup was changed from a dual to single piston. without taking the wheels off and the calipers off, is there any way to tell what is what?

i see alot of people here are running hawk pads. i might go with those, or i might go with axxis, but it depends on which pads my car needs.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar

Re: 00-01 brake design changes

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    im just looking to replace my brake pads. the rears arent a problem. the fronts.. ugh...

i searched and saw that the brake setup was changed from a dual to single piston. without taking the wheels off and the calipers off, is there any way to tell what is what?

i see alot of people here are running hawk pads. i might go with those, or i might go with axxis, but it depends on which pads my car needs.
    wasnt your car single piston? i think it was.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

Experienced TGC Member
    Does it really matter if its Single Pisto nor Dual Piston? I mean the calipers should still be bolt-on. Theres guys who stuff massive brembo calipers on their Galants. So i dont think there would be an issue with going from Single > Dual or Dual > Single.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong

single piston

dual piston

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant
    Does it really matter if its Single Pisto nor Dual Piston? I mean the calipers should still be bolt-on. Theres guys who stuff massive brembo calipers on their Galants. So i dont think there would be an issue with going from Single > Dual or Dual > Single.

actually the brackets are different. For the conversion that is show on my car above, I had to purchase new brackets for the dual piston calipers.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Re: 00-01 brake design changes

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia

You basically answered your own question. I'm in the same boat and done some research on this. An 01 ES V6 should have single piston caliper. The cutoff year was in the middle of 2000, at least thats what the guy at ImportRP.com said to me.

umm he wants to replace his pads... the pads are not the same between singe and dual piston calipers, so yes that would matter.

Experienced TGC Member
    6G72Galant wrote:

umm he wants to replace his pads... the pads are not the same between singe and dual piston calipers, so yes that would matter.
    Duuh! I was just saying that, because im pondering the idea of upgrading my brakes soon. And i was debating on what to do.

JayDeeOne...what do you do in the winter? Do you ride around on your Motegis?

6G72Galant wrote:

Duuh! I was just saying that, because im pondering the idea of upgrading my brakes soon. And i was debating on what to do.

that's a good question. This past winter I rode on my motegis, as my 15s were on Romans car. My 15's should clear them though. His 15s do. I think in the near future I should test a wheel and make sure they will clear the brakes.

2001 Galant ES

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone
    6G72Galant wrote:

that's a good question. This past winter I rode on my motegis, as my 15s were on Romans car. My 15's should clear them though. His 15s do. I think in the near future I should test a wheel and make sure they will clear the brakes.
    So you braved the NorthEast snow with your Motegis? Damn your crazy. That Valentines Day storm took a toll on my car and its stock steelies. Im debating on whether i should keep my 18inch wheels on this winter, and just purchase some snow tires :?

6G72Galant wrote:

esi4 15's clear the dual piston calipers. i had to drive around on SILLYASIANZ's 15's for almost a year after i spun my car out and broke my 18's.

6G72Galant wrote:

So you braved the NorthEast snow with your Motegis? Damn your crazy. That Valentines Day storm took a toll on my car and its stock steelies. Im debating on whether i should keep my 18inch wheels on this winter, and just purchase some snow tires :?
    Well this winter wasn't too bad. And the the days that it snowed or was going to snow I used my dad's car. Valentines day, I had my car in the garage and didn't leave at all that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    6G72Galant wrote:

esi4 15's clear the dual piston calipers. i had to drive around on SILLYASIANZ's 15's for almost a year after i spun my car out and broke my 18's.
    esi4 15's? What do you mean? Oh never mind I understand. I don't have stockers. These are my 15s

2001 Galant ES

there should be a sticker on the car with your car's production date.

if u have the CAPS program, you can run your vin in there and see which caliper you have.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

6G72Galant wrote:

esi4 15's? What do you mean? Oh never mind I understand. I don't have stockers. These are my 15s
    [/quote]

haha, sorry i was speaking code. the ES I4 15" OEM wheels do clear the '99-'00 dual piston front calipers (since i had them on my car for a year). yeah those 15's should clear the dual piston calipers as well.

6G72Galant wrote:

haha, sorry i was speaking code. the ES I4 15" OEM wheels do clear the '99-'00 dual piston front calipers (since i had them on my car for a year). yeah those 15's should clear the dual piston calipers as well.[/quote]

cool hope they do

2001 Galant ES

quit cloggin my thread with yer caliper clearing nonsense! haha jk ;)

thanks jay for the pics and pinoyes for the sticker info... got my answer :D

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.