The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Catalytic Converter?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    LantBoy99

Catalytic Converter?

Hey guys I was checkin out Cat Converters and saw them for $60-90. Do aftermarket ones even give you HP gains? What does it sound like? Which size is our I-4's? 2.25? Would I need Oval or Round? What does it mean when it says Cat Converter with air?
    Sorry I dont know much bout cat converters. Here is a link where I saw them at though.

http://www.hottexhaust.com/GroupBuyCat.htm

i wouldn't even bother changing it out. uhm if you want to get rid of the cat, just get a test pipe made and then just swap the cat back in just b4 inspection. anyways, most places won't replace a cat unless something is wrong with it.

o yea did u know that maryland stopped putting cars on the rollers and does OBD-II checks?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Hey Dru,

If an aftermarket cat is labeled as a high flow system, it will allow better exhaust flow with less restriction than the stock cat. That may or may not translate to more HP gains depending on your intake/exhaust setup. I don't know what cat with air means, I've never heard that term. For your I-4 you need a 2.25 inlet/outlet to match your stock piping. Their prices seem awfully low for high flow cats. Average prices I've seen so far for a high flow for the V6 is $120-135. Hope that helps.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Senior TGC Member
    And always remember to be a good law-abiding citizen and never change out your converter unless it's damaged...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    o yea did u know that maryland stopped putting cars on the rollers and does OBD-II checks?
    I knew they were checking the OBD II system to see if it was functional. They did that on my last emissions test. But you mean they're using just the OBD II test? And they're going back to the exhuast pipe monitor instead of the dyno? Cool!!! I can pass that with my headers.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    I knew they were checking the OBD II system to see if it was functional. They did that on my last emissions test. But you mean they're using just the OBD II test? And they're going back to the exhuast pipe monitor instead of the dyno? Cool!!! I can pass that with my headers.
    got the truck inspected. they just plugged that bad boy in. did a few things and gave me the sheet. only thing on it was N/A for the emissions test results and the words that said i passed. thats it

Black2k1GTZ
    Just changing out the cat wont make much sense. If your going to do that you might as well get a custom mandrel bent piping installed as well...that will give you more impressive performance gains!!

Marc :mg:

CcVilleES
    can you take out the cat and just have a pipe going straight from your headers to the muffler...nevermind the legality of it....can you do this? with aftermarket headers? such as the rpw headers with flex pipe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CcVilleES)</div><div class='quotemain'>can you take out the cat and just have a pipe going straight from your headers to the muffler...nevermind the legality of it....can you do this? with aftermarket headers? such as the rpw headers with flex pipe</div>

yes

Black2k1GTZ
    Of course you can do it...but its not a good idea. Your exhaust will be seriously loud. You will get alot of shit from the cops...honestly its not worth it. You will get more of a performance gain from putting in a high flow cat and some larger diameter exhaust piping!!

Marc :mg: