The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo 4G64's!

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

turbo 4G64's!

I was wondering, where do you turbo 4G64 guys tap for oil feed to the turbo?

I know that the return line goes to the oil pan, but where does the feed come from?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

there are a few places. the easiest by far woudl be to remove a oil galley plug from the head and feed off the head with the proper fittings, however this isn't the cleanest option.
    it also woudln't provide an adequate oil supply for an oil cooled cartridge.

the best place woudl be a fresh cool/clean oil source after the oil filter.
    on the oil filter housing.

if you run a ball bearing or a water cooled turbo it is crucial that you have a restrictor before the turbo if you feed from the block, since the oil pressure will be too high, it will blow by the piston rings inside the turbo.

if you run a ball breaing turbo period; you will need to run a pre filter, and check it often so as not to kill your turbo because of a clogged feed line.

i do not reccomend oil filter adaptors for turbo oil supply

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

tap it where the oil pressure sensor is. If you get under the car look at the back of the block ull see a sensor poking out. you have to get a 3 way fitting to do this. I got the fitting at home depot.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostedgalant56
    tap it where the oil pressure sensor is. If you get under the car look at the back of the block ull see a sensor poking out. you have to get a 3 way fitting to do this. I got the fitting at home depot.
    Which turbo are you running oil cooled? or water cooled?

Whats weird is the EVO filter housing will bolt to the stock 4G64 oil pump case, so you will get an extra 2 oil ports and 2 port to feed an oil cooler. The problem is, none of the 2 extra oil ports are cooled oil, they are clean oil, but not cooled oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

im using a greddy oil adaptor plate

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I ran my feed line from the oil filter housing. Not sure if the 8g 4G64's oil filter housing is similar..but there should be a plug with a allen wrench fitting. I removed that plug and thats where I was getting the oil feed on the 7g.

Here is a pic that isn't all that great and detailed.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

its real easy. take off ur oil pressure sending unit, and get a tee fitting (1/8th NPT) and tap a braided line to it. most oil feed kits come with it.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Quote Originally Posted by ct96mitsug
    its real easy. take off ur oil pressure sending unit, and get a tee fitting (1/8th NPT) and tap a braided line to it. most oil feed kits come with it.
    Your correct, it is REALLY EASY. However, that is not the best place to plumb it from, at least not on an 8g. The pressure unit is on the back of the block, so by feeding from there, you are already getting oil that has been back into the motor after the filter and isnt cool because its been back into the motor around the cylinders picking up heat. Dont get me wrong, it will work, but its not the best place when considering the lifespan of your turbo. Its not that big a deal when you use a 16g or something you can get for a few hundred dollars, but when you talking about a more expensive T3/4 that costs $800, you want to make sure its getting the best oil it can get.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

well i have a 7g so its different from a 8g. and actually i do have a t3/t4.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Yeah well if your oil pressure sensor is on the filter housing then thats fine, but on the 8g its on the back of the block tapped into the main rear oil galley.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

hmmm i didnt know that about 8g's

Yeah, i was thinking about the adapter for the oil filter housing...

Brian, when you say the oil filter housing on the EVO bolts up but the oil is not cooled, does that mean this wouldnt be a good option to do.. if so, what would be the BEST place to tap a turbo oil feed from?

I'm only running a TINY TD04 Mitsu turbo due to I'm running it on the Stock head and block. Its for my phase one set-up on the stock motor, not for the frankenstein build (different story).

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

the 16g isnt that small. galants have run on smaller

the 16g isnt that small. galants have run on smaller
    mine is a 15G so yeah, its tiny.

how about a sandwich plate adapter?
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099
    what's that?

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099
    Roman, I looked into using the sandwhich plate but here is the problem. The galley of oil that the sandwhich plate draws from is uncooled, unfiltered oil. So that means the oil your sending to your turbo is pretty much the worst oil you have.

4G63lover, you can feed it from the filter housing. I recommend the EVO filter housing because it has 2 ports for an oil cooler and it bolts to the stock 8g oil pump. Its not that big a deal feeding the oil from there because at least the oil is clean, while it might not be freshly cooled, it will get the job done. The oil goes from the pan, to the pickup tube, to the pump, to the filter, to the cooler and then back thru the filter housing and into the block. Ball bearing turbo's are much easier to plumb oil since they dont use the oil for cooling, so it doesnt matter if its cooled oil or not and it doesnt need high pressure, so you run an inline filter and a -3 or -4 AN line off the head and your done.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

the 1/8th npt is the wrong fitting... yah it will work but it is not the correct fitting.

you need a 1/8th bspt thats the perfect fit with the npt fitting you riun the risk of messing up the threads on the block and you dont want that lol

i have my oil setup it has the bspt T fitting oil pressure sensor and 4 or 5 feet of steel braided line (i forget how long but i can check) and the correct fitting for a mitsu turbo center section i was using it with my 18g
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports