The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TUTORIAL: Upholstering Door Panels/Custom Interior PICS!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 96

TUTORIAL: Upholstering Door Panels/Custom Interior PICS!

Ok everyone; here is the tutorial for re-upholstering our 8G door panels, headliner and rear panel (covering rear speakers). I will go through each step with you to make sure you get those interior pieces done right. And note that I am not liable for any damage you cause to your own ride/interior, work at your own risk and just be patient…ok lets get started.

First make sure you are working in a open area free from clutter and make sure that it is well ventilated….trust me

Items/tools needed:
    - 2 yards of fabric (your choice), this is for all 4 door panels
    - 1 can of 3M Super 77 adhesive (Home Depot $7)
    - Soldering Tool (Home Depot $15)
    - Philips Screwdriver
    - Flathead Screwdriver (optional)
    - 12mm socket and wrench
    - Razor blade/box cutters
    - Scissors
    - Stapler/staple gun (optional)

Ok now I started with the rear doors, just because they are easier to remove and put back on, and just safer to start with the easier stuff.

Step 1.

Remove rear door panels. These panels have 3 screws, 1 on the door handle, 1 in the holder on the armrest of the panel, and 1 on the upper right corner of the panel (this one is covered by a cap, and can be exposed by popping the cap up with your finger nail or a flathead screwdriver.

**Now make sure you have both rear windows down, trust me this will make it much easier to take the panels off and put them back on. Do this for the front panels also**

After removing the screws, you can start at the bottom of the panel and give it a good pull until you hear and feel that it’s been pried from the door. Now going up pry each clip and when you get to the top just pull upwards and the panel will be free.

And finally you will just have to unplug the window operating wire bundle, easy it just unplugs by pushing down on the clip and pulling it out.

Step 2

Now you have to get the armrest trim off (either a silver color or the wood grain color), this can be done by turning the door over and removing the 3 screws which hold it in place (pictured below red circles).
    After that you are going to need to take off the foam padding, this is where you use the 12mm socket to take off the 3 pieces holing in the foam (pictured below blue circles), just twist counter clockwise and the come right off.

You are also going to need to remove the black strip at the top of the panel (pictured below yellow arrow)

Step 3.

Now its time to get to the Infamous little white clips/rivets (pictured below green cirlcles) which hold in the panel we need to re-upholster. There have been different methods tossed around like just breaking them and using screws to replace them or just leaving them on and going around and just tuck the material under, or using a heat gun to melt them.

I went a different route and used a soldering tool. Like the heat gun it melts the clips, but the difference is that the soldering tool is much more effective and you can manipulate the clips to shape them and replace the panel to how it was, instead of completely melting them away.

Carefully holding the soldering tool like a pen, start lifting the edges of the white rivets so that they can slide right through (pictured below). Continue this with all of the rivets until you can completely remove the panel to be re-upholstered. This process will be done for all 4 panels

Step 4.

Now its time to start wrapping the panel with the fabric of your choice. Cut out the fabric using the panel as a guide and give yourself a couple inches to work with on the outsides which will be tucked (pictured below)

Take your 3M Super 77 adhesive (pictured below) and start at the top of the panel. Spray some on the adhesive on the upper lip of the panel; let it sit for a few seconds to let it get nice and sticky, then wrap/tuck the upper part of your fabric over it (pictured below). For the next part it might be best for you to get some help from someone to avoid any air bubbles. After letting the upper lip dry, you can begin to spray a generous coat of the adhesive on the stock panel; you could even spray a light coat on the underside of your fabric. Once again let it sit for a bit, and with the help from someone, you can pull up on the fabric and let you partner start to apply the fabric starting at the top and working towards the bottom to make sure that there are no air bubbles.

Now just continue to tuck/wrap your fabric using the adhesive, and use your razor blade to trim the extra material in the back that is not needed. (pictured below)

Let the panel sit for a few minutes and start backwards from step 3 and begin to re-apply the panel and the rest of the parts to your door. Use the soldering tool again to heat the plastice rivets and re-melt them to hold the panel in place (pictured below)

This process is also the same for the front doors, but the front doors have 5 screws instead of 3...

I will be posting the tutorial for the headliner and back panel later, once I have finished mine.

If you have any other questions let me know and I will add to the tutorial.

Hope this helps
    XCLUSIVES CAR CLUB, SAN DIEGO CA
    WE REIGN SUPREME...SIX-NINETEEN

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    hey...the part you stapled...it didn't poke through to the other side??? u mentioned nothing of the door handle part.

either way....great job... :smt023

Quote Originally Posted by o1naturalhigh
    hey...the part you stapled...it didn't poke through to the other side??? u mentioned nothing of the door handle part.

either way....great job... :smt023
    to be honest you dont even really need to use staples, which is why i posted it as optional. that super 77 adhesive works wonders and really holds. and as far as the door handle part, you might need to do some triming on the edges so that you can get the trim to fit good, especially because the stock screw is really small...or you can just go out to your local hardware store and get a longer screw...you choice..

thanks again o1naturalhigh...good lookin out bro

yeah...i know of the 3m adhesive...i used it on my old truck when i did my interior on that...

alright easy part done... reading the steps and looking at pics. now comes the more difficult part.. actually trying it!!! Good luck everyone who will be trying this! And good job on the tutorial! :D

Quote Originally Posted by 02GalantMrSBF
    alright easy part done... reading the steps and looking at pics. now comes the more difficult part.. actually trying it!!! Good luck everyone who will be trying this! And good job on the tutorial! :D
    lol...yea good luck, just be patient...thanks again

awesome tutorial :smt023. im gong to try it on my back panel tomorrow. hopefully it wont do a crappy job

Quote Originally Posted by 1ststrike
    awesome tutorial :smt023. im gong to try it on my back panel tomorrow. hopefully it wont do a crappy job
    thanks, good luck. just have some patience and you should be fine. post some pics if you can. and welcome to tgc.

TGC Regular
    Nice tutorial bro

i agree - you broke all the steps down good. -
    Semper Fi'

Quote Originally Posted by devgrp
    Nice tutorial bro
    thanks a lot bro...good lookin out..

since your here in the 619 where did u get ur fab from? and does it come in black hahah 8)
    R.I.P. My fellow Galant owner. May God be with you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by The F.B.I
    since your here in the 619 where did u get ur fab from? and does it come in black hahah 8)
    i think he got it at a yardage town by his pad...there's also UFO's in national city...they got black suede over there...UFO=upholstery factory outlet (i think)

i think he got it at a yardage town by his pad...there's also UFO's in national city...they got black suede over there...UFO=upholstery factory outlet (i think)
    yea i got mine at my local yardage town...they have different colors, but yea you can also get some at ufo's i saw some there too.

Quote Originally Posted by 619 CUSTOMS
    yea i got mine at my local yardage town...they have different colors, but yea you can also get some at ufo's i saw some there too.
    maybe i can get mine in before MOD!!!

Question....Will the 3m you used also work on vinal? I'm Using a black vinal to wrap my head lined and was going to pull every thing off and clean off the board so i can get good adhesion. Also planned on stapiling any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    Question....Will the 3m you used also work on vinal? I'm Using a black vinal to wrap my head lined and was going to pull every thing off and clean off the board so i can get good adhesion. Also planned on stapiling any other suggestions?
    if not, they also make a 3m hi strength 90....

Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    im using the same 3m with black vinal also i would say it's sticking on there very very good... but i guess the 3m 90 would work even better

just finished doing my panels, and they look awsome, except the first one i crapped up. i wish i could find my camera and take some pics. great tutorial :smt003

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast