The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TUTORIAL: Upholstering Door Panels/Custom Interior PICS!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 96
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ststrike
    just finished doing my panels, and they look awsome, except the first one i crapped up. i wish i could find my camera and take some pics. great tutorial :smt003
    glad to hear you had success and my tutorial helped you out. get those pics up asap, thanks again :D
    XCLUSIVES CAR CLUB, SAN DIEGO CA
    WE REIGN SUPREME...SIX-NINETEEN

i just need to finish painting the door handle thing ^^^^

finished with this one ^^^^

heres what the others looked like before

pictures are kind of crappy. i cant really show the details of how the new vs the old look.

i need to post my pix to... this tutorial made everything easy... thanks bro 8)
    R.I.P. My fellow Galant owner. May God be with you and your family.

I just finished with ALOT of my GF's help. click on pics and zoom in to see the real detail.

By legendx, shot with Canon PowerShot SD700 IS at 2007-07-19

"If you ain't first, you're last."
    WE THE BEST!!!

you put mine to shame :(. where did you get that material from?

Jo-Ann Fabrics $14 a yard. only needed 1 but got 2 just in case, soooo worth it.

WE THE BEST!!!

all the panels are lookin good...glad to see that my tutorial helped you all out...keep em' comin, and thanks for all the props..

TGC Regular

Omg.

Wow, i really need to get me some fabric, that looks easy and funn !!!! And that would fix the burn holes from my stupid ex-girlfrined.

i guess i'm lucky, mine came factory w/ vinal!

TGC Regular

Researchy

I always do severe ammounts of research on something before doing it, i spoke with my apholstery guy, he has been in it for 4 generations threw his family. He knew some very valuable info. As far as apholstery goes, i was wondering, Did you Replace the foam underneath as well ? And I thought i would point out, the 3m sprays are only good up to 120 Degrees. The average car in a 90 degree day is 120 degrees. So thought i would bring that up, Locktight makes a new adhesive, it should work, ill keep ya posted.

I live in the Magic city and it gets well over 90 every day and have had no problems, but i also have very dark tints.

WE THE BEST!!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    also depends on what strenghth3m spray you get and how much you lay down...theres super 66, 88 etc you can get the good stuff from an upholstery shop though, many of them will sell you some of the glue they use

Did you use microfiber suede for this project? And if so will this fade?

Nice thread. Definitely alot easier than the grunt work I have been doing lol.
    Jeff [vorcatec]

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    id like to do this but i don't know if i'd like the melt the rivets

i like ur work guys, and reminds me of my old car, i painted the doors but it came out horrible but i used suede and it came out and it faded so i tried one door with black vinyl

hopefully i will do my G soon and i will post pics

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beam514
    id like to do this but i don't know if i'd like the melt the rivets
    you'd rather break them off and use screws? as to melting them back in place?? :?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    they really cant be melted back to place unfortunatelly screws are the best alternative just make sure you cut off all teh backs where they are melted so you are able to get a screw in there......if done right the screws are just as good and tight my panels were professionally uphostered and thats how they did them....

also when just simply wrapping the door panels you do not have to break all the tabbs really and it can acually be done by using the butter knife trick....this is what i did when i did them the first time in my old car and it came out very good, just make sure you lay down a good amount of glue

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    they really cant be melted back to place unfortunatelly screws are the best alternative just make sure you cut off all teh backs where they are melted so you are able to get a screw in there......if done right the screws are just as good and tight my panels were professionally uphostered and thats how they did them....

also when just simply wrapping the door panels you do not have to break all the tabbs really and it can acually be done by using the butter knife trick....this is what i did when i did them the first time in my old car and it came out very good, just make sure you lay down a good amount of glue
    mine melted back into place just fine without a problem, and they are still holding up till this day.

Hey, this tut is fantastic! I'm gonna try this as soon as I get my 2001 galant, about a month when I get back from vacation. But I want to use a red fabric, probably suede, kind of like a bright firetruck red. Was just wondering if anyone saw any potential problems with using this color?

Thanks guys!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast