The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Where's my passing gear?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    BlueESV6

Where's my passing gear?

OK. she's getting a little older each day and she drives well... but lately I've noticed she won't go into the passing gear as easily... (used to downshift 2X and rev up to red line). Is there some vaccum lines or something that I need to clean out or change??

bongi
    is it auto? if it is you must be low in transmission fluid

ken inn
    you should try servicing the tranmission, drain and replace the fluid, and the filter. then, add a bottle of lubegard atf supplement, made by international lubricants, and sold by napa, amongst others. years ago, an additive that came from the sperm whale was used in automatic transmission fluid, which kept the fluid from breaking down at high temps. the lubegard uses an additive derived from the jojoba bean, and is recommended by several auto manufacturers. you will be able to feel the difference very shortly, the shifts will become much crisper, and the trans will probably respond a lot better.

BlueESV6
    I changed the fluid a while back with manufacturers recommended fluid. The levels are within specs... There is no accessable filter to change on the tranni and it's automatic...

It would previuosly down shift 2X when pressed hard and then rev above 6K (7K redline) but now shifting much earlier and only downshifts 1 gear....

I may press the power button and see if that changes the shift timing....

bongi
    it is not just changing the transmission oil and flushing it, you have to bring to the dealer to have it serviced, like take out the transmission oil, oil pan and inside is the filter. it doesn't use a gasket for the oil pan but a silicon one and it can be messy, tricky better left to the dealer. besides if your tranny breaks, they will cover the repair.

BlueESV6
    My passing gear is back! I don't know if this had anything to do with it but i checked my oil level and it was low... filled her up and she seemed to run much happier. I passed a truck and she down shifted twice as she used to!

I love my little white galant!!!

bongi
    :approve:

it was more than likely the "power/economy" switch... all it does it alter shift timing.
    leaving it in "economy" would definatly prevent a downshift under most conditions.