The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BAD BAD BAD TUNING - NEED HELP!@

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

BAD BAD BAD TUNING - NEED HELP!@

I just got my car out of the dyno and i found out that my car is untuned. First of all, the results are 140 whp and max torque is 161 @ 6psi.
    After that the guy who was driving it, and analyzed the graph said that I am lean out at WOT..... No matter what we did, we couldn't get the proper air/fuel mixture.......
    The second run @ 9 psi thereore added 1 hp and max torque gained to 165.

3 psi more - and 1 hp gain ?
    I have higgh impedia Denso 550cc injectors, warlbro 255 fuel pump, and FMU and - -------------------------- I am lean at WOT @ 6psi

It is unbelievable, and the numbers from the dyno are dissapointing me.

The good news is that it is fixable. It cost 150$ though to get it tuned to perfection. How many hours is it gonna take to get it tuned right? Who knows, well I hope someone of you knows.

The graph is not a like tangent - it is more like a sin curve.....

One pass was mad at 56% of throttle - and it was the same as it was on WOT.
    That means that ECu is leaning out my mixture..or knock sensor advance the timing....anyway the can tune it.

I noted that (this is of Curt's website).

CAUTION: It is very important that you keep a POSITIVE STFT and LTFT. The 4G64 Spyder ECU is somewhat unique in this matter. If you have a NEGATIVE fuel trim (even STFT of -5%, with LTFT at ZERO), the ECU will lean out your Air/Fuel mixture badly at WOT (wide open throttle). I'm sure the Mitsubishi engineers did this for emissions reasons, but it caused all kinds of problems when I first started tuning my car. No matter what I did to the SAFC (even added +50% air), I could not get my engine to run the proper rich A/F ratio. Thus, I leaned out the car furthur, so that in closed loop operation it was adding fuel to compensate (i.e. POSITIVE STFT AND LTFT), and all my tuning problems were fixed. This is why you MUST have an OBDII datalogger. It's the only way to see the STFT and LTFT readings.

Now, I have 2 questions for u.
    Do you think that ECU of Spuder is the same as mine 4g64 galant ECu???
    (I am assuming that, so - I am going to ask you the next question).
    Could u explain what POSITIVE STFT and LTFT are?
    I don't know what that is, and how to set it to positive?
    I would like to find out more about, how to tune it right.

I NEED HELP WITH TUNNIG MY SHIT....SO PLEASE HELP ME ANYONE!!!
    THANKS
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Ohh my.. damn i have never heard of something like this..Okay ima going to try and help u as best as i can... You personally are not going to be able to tune ur car properly withot the datalogger, i ran into just about the same problem a year ago, my car was running lean a shit and i couldnt figure out why until i ran into a from mitsu and he told me. your best bet is to get the OBDII datalogger then try to tune it up, from there.. because trying to tune it yourself without it, will in most case cause more problems than solve anything..I remeber when i was getting my car tuned, they took about 2 1/2 to 3hrs to tune it right.. i say take it to a pro a let them fix it..I would assume that computer off the Spyder is the same for the 4g64...

okay you have Short term Fuel trim and Long Term Fuel Trim. (i.e. STFT & LTFT..) this is what i can come up with if ur LTFT is (+) Lack of fuel or too much air. the computer is attempting to increase the amount of fuel by increasing the injector open time. This could happen because of a leak pass ur Mass sensor or a clogg in the fuel pump.. now if ur
    (-) could be 2 much fuel... the computer is tryin to lessen the fuel, by going back to the default computer settings, thats what mitsu has implimented into our ECU's.

if ur STFT is (+) your having low back pressure..check the pipping for leacks and cracks, i remember i had one and didnt even know it..

When ur tunning or try to tune it the only way ur going to run open loop on to ur ECU is when ur STFT is reading 0.0ms.. If u take it to get it tuned the guy their will set a LTFT DTC default so the ECU determines the fuel delivery except the oxygen sensor..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Which spyder are you talking about. the 2nd Gen I believe had a 4G64 engine but i don't know id it was like ours or the 7th gen galant. Or the new 3rd Gen Spyder
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

TwistedGTZ01
    hey DJ, where are you located? my buddy has a shop and he'd be able to figure out all that stuff and have your car running mint. i'm in chicago, so if your around here, i'm sure i can get you hooked up. lemme know. 8)

shit, i am in las vegas, but i will be in chicago for new year's eve...(too bad that i am flying...)
    still looking aroung in las vegas for professional tuner. I know my shit should be around 200 + whp at the wheels after tuning (that's what the dyno guy assumed by looking at the curve).
    Tommorow UPS will bring me my pocketlogger, that will give me a big look on what;s up with my agressor.
    Personally, i believe that I have either:
    a) ECU simular to Spyder's - therefore my fuel trims are negative so ECU leans out the mixture
    transmission is retarding the timing for smooth shifs
    c) exhaust leak or leak somewhere
    d) defeniately issues with timing
    e) possible some mechanical damage to the fuel pump, or some hoses
    f)) all of the above
    g) some of the above.

I will have it check by a pro as soon as I figure out on my own what's up....by using pocketlogger....
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

TwistedGTZ01
    ah, vegas, i'll be there in april. my buddy with the shop is entering his Mr2 into a road race thing out there. sounded like it was pretty big. hit me up when your in chicago if ya want. [email protected]. see ya