The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Subwoofer Projection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36

Subwoofer Projection

Okay, so i have two Alpine Type-R's in a box right now, but for some reason i feel that they dont project a good sound outside the car. yeah i know that some of you are thinking, "why project out of the car?" well i just want it to. i guess my question is, how can i accomplish this? is there a special enclosure that i need? is sealed or ported better? please help if possible. thanks!

i've heard from many ppl, ported is better...wat do u have?? wat amp and headunit r u running..... :?

2001 5 speed 4g64T

well.. unless you are in a bandpass box and both sides of the box are ported into the car tyou are not going to get the sound you want... by both sides i mean the front side of the sub and the back side

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

bandpass is the way to go if youre looking for bass that sets alarms off, that and some different subs. I was never a fan of alpine speakers...they need to just concentrate at what they are good at...head units and screens

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    bandpass is the way to go if youre looking for bass that sets alarms off, that and some different subs. I was never a fan of alpine speakers...they need to just concentrate at what they are good at...head units and screens
    no .. type R's are very good affordable subs and no .. bandpass isnt the best.. it is only the best if it is done the way i stated.. my dad has had 13 different boxes in the car frrom bandpass-seales to ported in all different ways(square,round rectangularports) and the best is a ported box

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    He's right... ported boxes are the best for trunks and getting bass out of the car... If you have a truck or a hatch the best would be a closed box...

vented are actually better, no port noise. i had a ported box and hated it. i Had an old school rockford punch HX2 (1000watt rms)

my sealed box makes it hit hard. with ported and vented boxes it doesn't hit at all and the sound isn't clean.

since you just want others to hear your music, get vented

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

TGC Regular
    Yup, it looks like the majority of folks that have been into the "bass game" knows the answer to this age old subject. If you want tight, accurate bass, you use a sealed box. If you want loud, boomy, "hear you coming down the block, type bass you go with a vented or ported type box. These days more go with vented versus over ported cause ports can you alot of "wind noise".

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I HATE that wind noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    I HATE that wind noise!!!
    thats why my ported box sits in my closet. that and the fact my rockford broke the plexiglass.

PORT NOISE SUCKS, ruines listening experience

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

but he wants to be heard down the block...bandpass is the most efficient and cheapest way to acheive that. Ported is just as good but if you want your subs to be heard outside of the the car without changing subs or amps then bandpass is the way to go. I already have a feeling you already have the subs in a ported box. Sure port noise sucks but its easier and cheaper to change a box than changing subs and amps. If you really want to be heard, get 2 jl 13w7s and two 1000/1 amps, deaden and weld your trunk and call it a day. and type r's do suck...i dont see them winning any awards for best bang for your buck in magazines

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    and type r's do suck...i dont see them winning any awards for best bang for your buck in magazines
    OKKKKK if you say so .. just ask a few NY members how my dads Type R's hit (just a hint my dad's setup broke off the framing on the trunk lid which was welded on)

i have slot ported and you can here me coming down the street and i set off car alarms

I think box depends on the sub. I have a Pionner 10 and its only a 150 rms...In a vented box i dont get good bass out of it but in a sealed box that thing pounds harder than my friends 2 12's. I would never buy a band pass box but vented yes.

i have four 10's in a sealed box. i use to have two 12's in a ported box, but i think the 10's sound clearer.

'99 Mitsubishi Galant <3
    '06 GG Mitsubishi Evo bolt-ons 12.3 @ 108mph - sold :(
    '03 WW Mitsubishi Evo built but never tracked - sold :(

true they make different subs for different boxes. they even make free air subs that dont need a box. im just saying you can make a sub hit hard by just slapping it in a bandpass box and a lil bit of wattage due to the design of a bandpass box...sound quality is shitty but from the original statement that our friend said "he wants to be heard from the outside". if youre running two subs, i dont see why youre not being heard from the outside...im thinking youre underpowering your subs. I run 1 12w6 and i can be heard outside. i think its a lil overkill and i might drop to a 10w6 or 10w3 but if you really want to be heard down the block, you might need to change your setup. if you really want to know what your system can handle...put in some old Dj Magic Mike and find out if your subs can handle some 20-30hz attacks.

why dont u just mount the subs on the outside
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

The problem is that you are running Alpines.

WRONG!!!.. I NEED TGCNY TO CHIME IN ON THIS THREAD.. they have heard/seen /felt my dads system

Quote Originally Posted by mattalicslvr8g02
    WRONG!!!.. I NEED TGCNY TO CHIME IN ON THIS THREAD.. they have heard/seen /felt my dads system
    Hahaha... I knew that would garner a response. Alpine is horrible its just overrated in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast