The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Suspension Q's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

Suspension Q's

sorry for the noob question. I'm sure i've came along reading about wearing down struts when changing the stock springs into (lowering springs)? If that's true, does that mean after lowering my car I'm gonna have to eventually replace my STOCK struts? If so how long does each NEW set last on average?

Also talking about coilovers, does that need some maintenance too(meaning constantly replacing them)?

Thanks!

-RON

depends.

im pretty sure iv never heard of anyone wearing out there struts because they swapped to lowering springs, if that was the case id think that retailers/installers would let you know it could happen

I had the same question. I replaced all my struts with Gabriel ones from auto zone, and i was wondering if i would have a problem installing lowering springs. But, OMEGA told me your shocks/strut are more likely to blow sooner than normal, because OEM shocks aren't designed to be used in lowered cars.

from my personal experience the thing thats going to wear out after faster than anything is your lower suspension arms, iv replaced them 3 times in the last five years but only the front ones, not a big deal they arnt expensive

but if your really worried just go to adjustable coilovers, your lower arms are going to wear out anyway but thats going to happen anyway so who cares

of course if go to coil overs your handling's going to improve ten fold, for instance my 7g beats evo's through corners without trying but its down to personal preference. if you want the look then just go springs but if you want handling and the look then go for coilovers

Thanks for the input!

-RON

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Stock/OEM struts will blow out eventually. How fast? That depends on your drop height and your driving style. If you can handle the stiffness for daily driving and are able to save money, save the money now and get Coilovers. I wish that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by 7gvr4 View Post
    im pretty sure iv never heard of anyone wearing out there struts because they swapped to lowering springs, if that was the case id think that retailers/installers would let you know it could happen
    hahahahah.

Any suggestions on what coilovers I should get?

-RON

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Well my personal experience is that right now I have one OEM rear strut blown, it's been a year now since I lowered my car. I'm lowered like 2" all-around. I'm not going to replace them cause I'm going to save for coilovers. I am going to buy D2 Coilovers, I've asked many members with different brands and the D2 coiovers seem to provide the most comfortable ride of all of them, I just want coilovers for the ride adjustability but want to have a comfortable ride and D2's seem to be the most comfortable.

4g64T 5spd

ok i didn't have time to answer you well the first time. the question you should be asking yourself is how low do you want to go? depending on the answer to this question, that will determine what kind of setup to get.

if you are only lowering mildly around .5"~1.5", just get lowering springs like EIBACH or H&R. if you want to go down 1.5"~2.25", get lowering springs like TEIN S-TECH or PROGRESS, and add in either KYB GR2 or KYB AGX (better)... but keep in mind, the lower u go the sooner those shocks will fail. they tell you in their warranty that they are NOT recomended for lowering over 1.5"; given that, the AGX will last longer because they can be set stiffer to compensate for deeper lowering springs' spring rate. if you want it lower than 2.25" go straight to full coilovers or airbags. DO NOT buy adjustable springs since these are guaranteed to eat your shocks alive... full coilovers include lowering springs on an adjustable perch and matched short body shocks in one package where the shocks are made to handle the added spring rate and more compressed state of a lowered ride while still offering full travel. also the lower you go the harsher the ride will be, so keep that in mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OoreelaxoO View Post
    hahahahah.
    so what i was wrong, last i heard you didnt even have anything usefull to contribute buddy

so how bout untill you do you just shut your mouth

so what i was wrong, last i heard you didnt even have anything usefull to contribute buddy

hositlity!!!!! lol

yeah dude for a guy with 4 posts, i agree lol... stfu :)

wow makes mr want not to lower my g now

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

You can lower it, there's nothing wrong with it,you just need to do it right the first time, and for something good and durable it isn't going to be cheap.

How much are you looking to lower the G?

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    ok i didn't have time to answer you well the first time. the question you should be asking yourself is how low do you want to go? depending on the answer to this question, that will determine what kind of setup to get.

if you are only lowering mildly around .5"~1.5", just get lowering springs like EIBACH or H&R. if you want to go down 1.5"~2.25", get lowering springs like TEIN S-TECH or PROGRESS, and add in either KYB GR2 or KYB AGX (better)... but keep in mind, the lower u go the sooner those shocks will fail. they tell you in their warranty that they are NOT recomended for lowering over 1.5"; given that, the AGX will last longer because they can be set stiffer to compensate for deeper lowering springs' spring rate. if you want it lower than 2.25" go straight to full coilovers or airbags. DO NOT buy adjustable springs since these are guaranteed to eat your shocks alive... full coilovers include lowering springs on an adjustable perch and matched short body shocks in one package where the shocks are made to handle the added spring rate and more compressed state of a lowered ride while still offering full travel. also the lower you go the harsher the ride will be, so keep that in mind as well.
    wow just what i needed! salamat!

-RON

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    You can lower it, there's nothing wrong with it,you just need to do it right the first time, and for something good and durable it isn't going to be cheap.

How much are you looking to lower the G?
    Not looking for an expensive set and definitely not gonna risk going too cheap. This might be my next mod.

-RON

@Reelax: the last time check, i don't think Eibach makes springs for USDM 8gs? only for the legnum wagon V6 as far as i remember. And from what i've read in this forums using v6 springs on i4 won't sit as it suppose to. Same thing for H&R I only saw the ones from v6.

Which i guess about 1" front and 1" rear isn't that bad concerning my 8g is my daily driving car.

-RON

nothing useful? look at he post above yours. concise and accurate.

maybe next time you should actually know what you are talking about before giving advice, because your bad advice might actually be taken. thankfully there are more knowledgeable members here to correct your ignorance.

hahahaha.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by P'NOYcaL View Post
    @Reelax: the last time check, i don't think Eibach makes springs for USDM 8gs? only for the legnum wagon V6 as far as i remember. And from what i've read in this forums using v6 springs on i4 won't sit as it suppose to. Same thing for H&R I only saw the ones from v6.

Which i guess about 1" front and 1" rear isn't that bad concerning my 8g is my daily driving car.
    you can get them for 2000 - 05 eclipse. there the same. i think someone has some for sale on Club3G.com

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast