The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dual Piston Front Caliper Upgrade downfall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

Dual Piston Front Caliper Upgrade downfall

for those of you with I4s and looking to do this upgrade. I learned the hard way last week.
    the donut that came with our cars will not clear the upgraded caliper
    I had a blowout and when the donut was put on it was rubbing and wouldn't spin freely. Turns out the side of the caliper, was right up against the inside of the donut. The galants and eclipses which came with the dual piston front calipers were V6's and came withe 16" wheels and 16" donuts.
    I am not saying by any means not to do the upgrade, and I am not going to yank mine apart. But just beware if you get a blowout in the front you will need to swap a wheel from the rear onto the front and use the donut in the rear, or get yourself a 16" donut.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

mmmm....Donuts.....
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    That had to suck.. Good lookin out though

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Also:
    Kinda off the topic but not. 99-01 I4 donut will not work with 02-03 I4 front calipers. I know this because the calipers on my 01 went bad, found out that had been over extended b4 I got it. Got some free calipers from a 02, got a flat up front a few weeks ago. I put the donut up front, it was flush with the rotor but it was also sitting ON the caliper. It scraped like hell when I tried to pull off.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    good to know.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Now I know and knowing is half the battle.......................

anyone can finish that line?
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

yea, whenever I do get a flat tire, i like having the two front wheels (the drive wheels) have the same size wheels. or in other works, the spare tire always goes on the back on the galant.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Thanks for the info. I will remember that. :mrgreen:
    The Boss always will Remain Shining!!

Quote Originally Posted by GalantT3

its more than meets the eye?

Quote Originally Posted by GalantT3

its GI Joe

I was planning on doing this upgrade in a month or so, since the caliper is coming from a 99 gsx, we shouldnt have a problem if our spare tire is a gsx rim right? Im curious cuz i just realized that i have a gsx rim sitting in my garage and i wanted to replace my emergency tire with the gsx rim.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    I was planning on doing this upgrade in a month or so, since the caliper is coming from a 99 gsx, we shouldnt have a problem if our spare tire is a gsx rim right? Im curious cuz i just realized that i have a gsx rim sitting in my garage and i wanted to replace my emergency tire with the gsx rim.
    Caliper is the same in the gsx but the braket is different. It will not bolt up to your car. I would look for some from a 3000gt or 99-00 gtz
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I don’t know why people run donuts on the front axles anyway. Its makes perfect sense to swap a rear tire to the front and run the donut in the rear. A little thing called safety! Seeing how most of your braking ability comes from the front wheels and on a FWD so does you power.

I laugh when I see someone with a donut on the front of their car. They are asking for a accident.

your asking for an accident if you go more than 40 on a donut

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    ive been over taken by people with donuts on on the highway. apparently, the sticker that says the max speed limit on the spare was not big enough for them to see.

i got over 40 when I change a flat, but that is because I have a stock wheel in my trunk along with a donut I've only gotten a flat once when some 80's trucks muffler fell off and i couldnt swerve to avoid it...

I have the Australian version with 19 inch wheels and was wondering why the spare was a full size....so heavy and expensive.

Now I know....we have 6 piston calipers....

Last edited by redblower; 07-21-2009 at 09:35 AM

themadmon
    Last edited by themadmon; 07-08-2018 at 07:51 PM Reason: .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast