The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anyone know how to fix amps?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    TGC Regular

Anyone know how to fix amps?

I have a JBL 1200.1 that has been sitting around for years. It smokes if you turn it on and no sound comes out. I don't really even see these for sale anymore and I know they were pretty good amps. I figure I should just get it fixed because I could use for my Titan. A shop wants $200 to fix. Sound reasonable?

Or is there a way to determine what is wrong myself? I don't recall seeing any burned pieces but if I knew what to test and how to test the parts I would just fix it myself because I know how to solder.

I wouldn't mess with it if you aren't familiar with electronics. $200 sounds a little high, but if they are confident they can fix it...sometimes its your only route. Besides for $200 you aren't going to get an amp of that caliber.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    I wouldn't mess with it if you aren't familiar with electronics. $200 sounds a little high, but if they are confident they can fix it...sometimes its your only route. Besides for $200 you aren't going to get an amp of that caliber.
    This place is not very reliable. My parents took a tv to this place a long time ago and it took over two years to get it back. I might just have to drive to Madison to get it fixed. How much would you say is an acceptable price?

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    This place is not very reliable. My parents took a tv to this place a long time ago and it took over two years to get it back. I might just have to drive to Madison to get it fixed. How much would you say is an acceptable price?
    Well it mainly depends on the depth of repair the amp needs so to guess is difficult, but I would suspect $150 shouldn't be too much.