The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo or super charged?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    escoson

turbo or super charged?

well i have been saving up money for the past 4 months ( about $2,900.00 so far) and im stuck between a turbo or super charger. my question is which will deliver more "overall power" to the car. the turbo or supercharger? i basicaly want the improvement in 0-60+ time so when i pull up next to someone and we race all my power is rite there.

i have a 2002 galant es i4 so what would you guys suggest?

thanks alot

i'd suggest saving another 10Gs before you spend any money on forced induction...seeing as you need to pay for labor and extensive tuning. $4,000 for the kit $2,000+ for labor and tuning. More if you get better parts like Forged Pistons, Titanium valve springs, high flow heads, headers (S/C Only), exhaust, etc etc.... Its not cheap man.

But on the other hand GO FOR IT!!!

If i HAD to pick between one? I'd say get a supercharger. I like those because the the big power is in the low end and great for starts

I'd go with the SC too. I like having power on demand, and that's pretty much through out the entire rpm range, not so much top end. With a turbo, you have to wait for it to spool up, but top end power is great.

you're looking to improve 0-60, right? go with the SC, you don't have to sit at the light and spool up the turbo. you can just slam the pedal and you're off!

I'd also go with the SC. Read GTZ27's posts about his experience with the RIPP SC. Dave is right. Keep saving money. You'll need a minimum of $7500 to do the job right, especially the install and tuning, like he said. But based on what you're looking for in performance, the SC will give it to you.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

SuperchargedGTZ
    i agree with Redgalant; i have spent close to 8K between tuning and all other things that came up. be prepared to spend lots of money and get some VALIUM; cause you are going to need it.

RIPPMODS
    With teh introduction of our Black Box, Things will be cheaper. The kit may go down in $ a bit, and NO tuning will be needed. The only reason you will go tot the DYNO is to lay it down, not to tune.

In RIPP's case:
    3849.95 sds full kit
    750.00 Headers and Motor mount
    950.00 Installtion and tune
    200.00 header set up

Options:
    550.00 Full exhaust
    36.00 Plugs
    150 wires
    250 TRANS COOLER (INSTALLED)
    Gauges (Boost, air fuel, trans temp oil pressure, egt priced accordinly)

Other options that are a good Idea:
    Supension
    Brakes
    Rims and tires....as wide as possible
    Brakes
    Brakes
    Brakes......
    Oh...........Get brakes because with 260WHP the cars are hard to stop.....

Hope this helps... and for the record 36 kit are on teh road and not one of them has hurt or blown an engine (Knock on wood). They are ALL making killer power. To date:

your V6 GT brothers, which if you've been following is:

296 whp 5SPD GT. Foxomatic
    284 whp 5SPD MATT
    264.7 5SPD GTS duhh76
    259.8 WHP auto eddie27 GTZ Galant
    258.9whp sporty Gt. stevmorh

More DYNO numbers as they come.

Regards,
    Rippmods

escoson
    ok, so i see its going to cost me in upwards of $10,000.00+ thats no problem. ill just save up the money because this is something i've wanted to do badly ever since the day i bought my car. it will just take a little more time to save up but will be well worth it.

thanks alot for the replies!

ripddmods: i will contact you within a few months so we can work out a time to get this done, thanks

escoson
    rippmods: you also said "Rims and tires....as wide as possible". my question is how wide? I just bought a set of giovanna nagano's 18x7.5 a few months ago. would 18x8 or 17x8 be a better choice to buy when i plan on getting the s.c.?

thanks for your time

SuperchargedGTZ
    get a 8" wide; i have 7.5 and i loose traction in 1st and 2nd.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RIPPMODS)</div><div class='quotemain'>With teh introduction of our Black Box, Things will be cheaper. The kit may go down in $ a bit, and NO tuning will be needed. The only reason you will go tot the DYNO is to lay it down, not to tune.

In RIPP's case:
    3849.95 sds full kit
    750.00 Headers and Motor mount
    950.00 Installtion and tune
    200.00 header set up

Options:
    550.00 Full exhaust
    36.00 Â* Plugs
    150 wires
    250 TRANS COOLER (INSTALLED)
    Gauges (Boost, air fuel, trans temp oil pressure, egt priced accordinly)

Other options that are a good Idea:
    Supension
    Brakes
    Rims and tires....as wide as possible
    Brakes
    Brakes
    Brakes......
    Oh...........Get brakes because with 260WHP the cars are hard to stop.....

Hope this helps... and for the record 36 kit are on teh road and not one of them has hurt or blown an engine (Knock on wood). They are ALL making killer power. To date:

your V6 GT brothers, which if you've been following is:

296 whp 5SPD GT. Foxomatic
    284 whp 5SPD MATT
    264.7 5SPD GTS duhh76
    259.8 WHP auto eddie27 GTZ Galant
    258.9whp sporty Gt. stevmorh

More DYNO numbers as they come.

Regards,
    Rippmods</div>

With this "blackbox" that is coming out soon, how much of a reduction in the price of the kit?

I have the cash now and was going to place my order, I even found a shop locally that will install it. Let me know because I may wait on purchasing it once when the black box comes out.

Matt
    Love,
    Matt

Re: turbo or super charged?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(escoson)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i have been saving up money for the past 4 months ( about $2,900.00 so far) and im stuck between a turbo or super charger. my question is which will deliver more "overall power" to the car. the turbo or supercharger? i basicaly want the improvement in 0-60+ time so when i pull up next to someone and we race all my power is rite there.

i have a 2002 galant es i4 so what would you guys suggest?

thanks alot</div>

I'm Having the same problem you are man. I have the header already so I am leading towards the Supercharger. But it seems like pricewise I will be able to get the turbo before the supercharger. so what I am doing now is ust buying the parts that I know I will need for both. Pistons. rods things I know I will need that way when it comes time to decide the parts I buy now will offset the kit or if you get the kit with the parts you have then you can just turn around and sell the pistons or if keep the incase something breaks.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I had that same problem like a lot of headz on the board, couldnt decide whether to SC or drop a Turbo.. but what im going to do is, completely build mine from scratch i have everything, including 3 turbines, Ecu, Fmic's, braided steel hoses, AFC, IC pipping, and other lil extras.. just waiting for the right time to do it all..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

mass
    WELL HOW MUCH CAN U TWEEK THIS SUPER CHAGER FROM RIPP MODS UP...? AS IN HP WIZE ON A I4...CUZ ON A I4 I WAS THINKN GOING TURBO WOULD B BETTER ..AND V6 PROB B BETTER WITH A S/C...

ESdriver00
    I'd go with the turbo. I just think it less stress on the engine and better for everyday driving conditions. I plan on getting a 5-speed put in though so thats why I'm getting the turbo. To me I think you have more control on the amount of power you want to give, unlike the super charger it always on. I would ask the person that is going to do the installation and see if they have any experience on both.