The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: fuel pump doesnt cut on and no spark

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    Experienced TGC Member

fuel pump doesnt cut on and no spark

So i get my shit back together. Wire it up for the car to start.. Turn it over.. it turns over but it sounded to slow to me (as if the battery was dead).. Well my friend came over today and told me sounded like i didnt have fuel.. So i pulled the fuel rail and no fuel.. So he said lets check for spark... Well.. No spark. Then i finally realized that i never heard the fuel pump cut on. Im kinda at a loss here.. The book dont tell me shit and i have no multimeter to test it. My friend might be back tomorrow to help me figure shit out but id like to have an idea. My idea is that when i put the crank position sensor back in the car somehow the wires kinked or something.. I dont have a clue.. So would the crank position sensor cause the fuel pump not to cut on and for no fire? *edit* ive traced all the wiring connectors and all that where i was at inside the car.. everything is connected so thats out of the question.

can you hear the relay for the fuel pump click when you first turn the car on?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

The crank sensor would cause it to not fire, but your fuel pump should come on as soon as the key is turned to the on position

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    can you hear the relay for the fuel pump click when you first turn the car on?
    I hear 2 things click.. something clicks where the fuse box is inside the car.. and something clicks where the stereo is at... i dunno which is the relay.

one should be the fuel pump, i would try a fuel pump re-wire and try it again.
    but that still wouldnt explain the loss of spark. that could be your distributer, the crank sensor, or even a computer problem.
    i just recently found out that both my distributer and crank sensor were bad, so it can be anything

Experienced TGC Member
    Still nothing.... I went back out.. Unspliced the 2 wires for the swap. put the battery back in and turned the ignition to the ON position and still no fuel pump. Man this is just my fucking luck. I dont have the SLIGHTEST clue as to whats wrong. I dobut me wiring the 2 wires together fucked anything up cause my friend and i looked up a wiring diagram for the park neutral switch and it was the same exact colored wires that i had spliced.. So i dont know. Ive been thorough nothing but pure fucking hell through this whole swap and rebuild process.. And now this? Atleast the car turns over.. but that does me no fucking good if it doesnt run hahahaha.. not funny. Anyways anyone with ANY information PLEASE state it. Nothing will be over looked. And suggestions will be taken into consideration.

Thanks,
    Johnas

Not to sound ignorant, but what swap did you do?

Start with was replaced or removed.

ive never had this problem but i would check all the fuses if you haven't already. also check where the cable off the battery terminal branches off to everything for a good solid connection.
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Not to sound ignorant, but what swap did you do?

Start with was replaced or removed.
    5 speed swap...

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_beast98
    ive never had this problem but i would check all the fuses if you haven't already. also check where the cable off the battery terminal branches off to everything for a good solid connection.
    ive checked fuses.. but there will be more of an in depth search for wtf is whenever my buddy can come help me out tracking this problem.

How did you test for fuel and spark?/

the fuel pump relay is not triggered until the crank sensor is triggered. the fuel pump will not cycle with just the key in the on position(the engine has to be turning)

are you positive you didn't damage the crank position sensor during your balance shaft removal?
    did you install the thin metal tin(CPS trigger wheel) when you were dong your timing?

did you plug in your crankshaft position sensor?

did you plug in your distributor?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    the fuel pump relay is not triggered until the crank sensor is triggered. the fuel pump will not cycle with just the key in the on position(the engine has to be turning)

are you positive you didn't damage the crank position sensor during your balance shaft removal?
    did you install the thin metal tin(CPS trigger wheel) when you were dong your timing?

Ok its highly possible that i screwed up the crank sensor during installation. Cause thats the only logical explination. It is connected as well as the distributor. As for the fuel pump. I know that it doesnt cycle when the ignition is at the on position but you can hear it cut on for a split second and i dont even hear it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr

Ok its highly possible that i screwed up the crank sensor during installation. Cause thats the only logical explination. It is connected as well as the distributor. As for the fuel pump. I know that it doesnt cycle when the ignition is at the on position but you can hear it cut on for a split second and i dont even hear it at all.
    you woudl only hear it cut on. if the ecu is getting a crank signal.
    are you getting spark

?
    pull out a plug and a wire. put the plug in the wire, hold the threads of the plug against a metal part of the block(like the hoist points)
    and have someone crank the car.
    if the spark plug sparks, then you can rule out the crank trigger.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

This thread is almost four years old and just saved the day! Hell yeah search button!