The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: t3/t4 turbo vs. 16g

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

t3/t4 turbo vs. 16g

Ok well i been looking at someother turbos lately and was wondering how good are these t3/t4 turbos? I'm kinda a noob when it comes to turbos i wont lie...I know about things like knock and everything required but when it comes to picking a turbo im no good....Here are the specs....

T3/ T4 HYBRID TURBO

INLET 3"
    OUTLET 2"
    BEARING TYPE WET FLOAT BEARINGS
    OIL INLET 1/8 NPT
    MAX PSI CAPACITY 27PSI
    COMPRESSOR .50 AR COMPRESSOR
    TURBINE .63 AR TURBINE
    .57 T COMPRESSOR WHEEL
    .63 AR TURBINE WHEEL

vs.

Something like a 14b or 16g?

I'm using a t3/t4 if that means anything

a to4b V-trim is a great low boost/ high flow turbo.
    its a t3/t4 and you can get them in dsm bolt on confguration.

under 20 psi they outflow most turbo's that are commonly run on the 63 or 64.

woudl be a great turbo for a 2.4 galant running sohc and 8 psi.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Ok cause that is exactly what ill be running for the time being for know...I have the evo 8 16g but i think i might just go ahead and sell all that and just get a t3/t4

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

Re: t3/t4 turbo vs. 16g

Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    Ok well i been looking at someother turbos lately and was wondering how good are these t3/t4 turbos? I'm kinda a noob when it comes to turbos i wont lie...I know about things like knock and everything required but when it comes to picking a turbo im no good....Here are the specs....

T3/ T4 HYBRID TURBO

INLET 3"
    OUTLET 2"
    BEARING TYPE WET FLOAT BEARINGS
    OIL INLET 1/8 NPT
    MAX PSI CAPACITY 27PSI
    COMPRESSOR .50 AR COMPRESSOR
    TURBINE .63 AR TURBINE
    .57 T COMPRESSOR WHEEL
    .63 AR TURBINE WHEEL

vs.

Something like a 14b or 16g?
    I am running a T3/4 but mine is a T3/04E. 360 bearing, Max pressure 35psi 60mm compressor wheel, Stage V turbine wheel, .63 turbine housing. Im not sure what type of wastegate your considering, but if you only plan to run 8-10psi, I would recommend running an external 38mm wastegate, which will give you more control over the boost. I think with the smaller internal wastegate, and a 2.4 motor, your going to make more exhaust gas than the internal wastegate can get rid of.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Well i was looking at something like the Treadstone TRE503 or the TRE603

I just took a look at those turbo's on treadstone's website. Either one should be fine for your application, but those prices are a bit high on their site. Treadstone sells turbonetics turbo's, which are fairly good turbochargers, from what I hear, Turbonetics stands behind their product pretty good. However, you can get that same turbo but made by Garrett, Garrett is the best turbo manufacturer in the world, period. Check out www.atpturbo.com look at the Garrett T series turbo's. The 57 trim is nearly identical to the TRE603, and the 60 Trim is slightly bigger. Both have the Stage 3 turbine wheels in the .63 A/R Turbine housing, the 57 trim will spool up maybe 3-500RPM's sooner because the compressor is smaller.

What type of manifold are you using? Just make sure it has a flange for an external gate. You could try to run an internal gate, but honestly I dont think the internal is going to flow enough to limit your boost below 10psi in the higher RPM's.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

im using a t3/t4 and it works great. just use a external wastegate and a tubular manifold. im planning on running alot of boost in the future so its a good turbo to have on tap if i need the boost. if ur lookng for small boost get a smaller turbo. a smaller turbo will give you that boost more quickly but make sure its not to small or you will overwhelm the turbo.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Ya i didnt plan on buying from them i just went to go check out some of there charts.....I already looking at the manifold and i am going to run a external...I had the internal i had changed to a external by some advice of dohcstuner i believe...Just cut off the wategate and welded the flapper and then got a external for it...

I planed on getting a somewhat of a small turbo...I was trying to look at turbos with a tdo4 housing instead of a tdo5...And was looking for power in the upper range but might not worry to much about it for right now since ill end up selling the turbo once i finish building the motor which will be a little while as i get some more money....

If your future plans are to buld the motor, you should just buy the t3/4 now. This way your not fabricating intake and exhaust piping and other stuff to fit your Mitsu turbo, then when you rebuild the block ,your going to waste your time fabricating everything over again. Plus by going with a new turbo, its a new turbo, you know its gonna work and its not gonna leak, not like a used 16g. I know its cheaper for the short term, but in the long term, it always ends up costing double, I know from experience.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Well the whole 4g64 is getting ripped out and right now im looking at block trying to decide if i wanna got 63 or 64 already have a head ported and polished and working on assembling it...I planned on getting something small for right now cause it will be alil bit before i install the new motor cause when i install the new motor im also getting the car painted so i can get the engine bay done at the same time.....Cause i have that evo 16g attached to the evo8 mani... That im prob. just going to go ahead and sell and just use that money to buy the t3/t4 cause someone wants to buy it off me for $200

Thats a smart move, get rid of the EVO turbo and get a T3/4
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1489
    T04E Turbocharger
    Price $149.00=193.75 after shipping to my zip....

.57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM

.50 A/R COMPRESSOR

.63 A/R TURBINE

Does this look like a good buy? Also should i stay with this or go v-band? Also haven't ever heard of this place but wanted to make sure i wasn't buying some immitation knock off....

Get the T3/T04e and have a nice day
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1489
    T04E Turbocharger
    Price $149.00=193.75 after shipping to my zip....

.57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM

.50 A/R COMPRESSOR

.63 A/R TURBINE

Does this look like a good buy? Also should i stay with this or go v-band? Also haven't ever heard of this place but wanted to make sure i wasn't buying some immitation knock off....
    I dont even need to click that link to know your getting screwed. All I need to see is the text "ss autochrome" to tell you this.

These guys are the biggest crooks and pushers of poor quality knock off products than any other company. I can honestly say that I might buy something from APC and use it on my car before SS Autochrome. The turbo is a knock off that is originally designed for a small diesel engine that doesnt rev high and they sell it to you to put on your car that revs high and you just blow the turbo out. You want to get a turbo thats made by preferably Garrett, Turbonetics or Precision Turbo. Any NEW t3/4 turbo that is less than $650 is usually a bad choice because its not engineered to be for a car.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS