The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: boost on auto tranny

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

boost on auto tranny

I'm stuck 50/50 on one of my projects. I basically am going BIG on the Galant. I want to swap the slushbox for a 5-speed, and turbo the 4G64.

I rode in an automatic turboed 4G64 eclipse Spyder today and was impressed on how it ran. There was no drop off of boost between shifting. the car had a broad powerband and it felt amazing... it was also on the stock auto tranny except for a torque converter. it was running on an EVOIII 16G, WRX injectors and no tune.

Don't get me wrong, I love driving manual and I will still swap. But would it be worth it to boost the motor now before I swap the tranny. I ask this question because I can acquire turbo parts way way quicker than I can acquire tranny swap parts.

one more question I dont remember but do the 1st gen DSM's run T25 flanges? I'm asking because my buddy just got a SR20DET swapped into his 240 along with a Garret 2871. And was wondering if I could use his stock turbo which has a T25 flange. I plan on using MAF-T and GM MAF too.

I remember the 2G's having a T28. but Im not sure if the 1st gen six-bolts did.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

first gen and second gen turbos are interchangable

i think a t-25 is slightly diff

ohh and i would get the harder to find parts first since they are harder to find. but if you got cash get both at the same time

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    i think a t-25 is slightly diff
    yeah I thought so. I can always grab a t-28 to t-25 flange adapter.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

you can boost the auto tranny now if you want, it should support between 300 and 350 horses, and your not going to be that high. So it really won't matter mechanically. You will definitely see the turbo take effect in the auto tranny and therefore, I would aquire the turbo parts as they come(obviously as you said first) and then procede to do the tranny swap. You will probably be happier this way, as when you get the manual tranny you will at least fell like you are moving faster, have fun driving in traffic though... Thats why I just tuned my auto tranny lol.
    "All day baby, all day, except in the morning."

performance mods
    -custom cai (never said it was good)
    -custom 2.5" exhaust + test pipe
    -pacesetter headers
    Visual mods
    -HID headlights
    -havc white/blue/red replacement

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Turbo's like auto's, since you dont lift on an auto, the turbo's stay at nearly full tilt, keeping up boost. Superchargers are pretty indifferent, as their boost is dictated by the crank speed.

Our problem is the tranny pump and differential suck. Swap to an LSD and get a forged tranny pump and you've taken care of the durability problems with the stock auto. If your truely going with a drag race set up an auto is your better choice. I'm going for an N/A set-up which met with my track use is why a manual is so much better in my situation. N/A likes to rev, mine will end up seeing lots of them. That and N/A is fairly indifferent to auto or manual. Manuals arent really bothered by revs, or staying wound up under low load.

Know your needs, and build for it. Thuroughly think out your plans and what your goals are. Most low ET drag cars are auto's but import auto's arent backed much by the aftermarket. If your going boosted and plan to keep the auto, take care of its durability issues.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    If your going boosted and plan to keep the auto, take care of its durability issues.
    That's the thing, Im going to swap it, I know the automatic tranny if built, will be better for drag racing but I love the feel of shifting and just the plain feeling of a manual car. I dont plan to keep the auto. I'm just stuck on if I should stay automatic, boost it than swap to five-speed later. or swap to five-speed then boost it afterwards. waiting to be five-speed then boost it will take longer than just boosting it while its auto. And I am ready to make more power! how the cars performance is now is just not satisfying me anymore. I want a five-speed but I can get turbo parts faster than I can get tranny parts. should I boost it while its automatic, blow up the auto then swap to manual? or swap it to manual, wait a little bit then boost it?

Plus, i want the car to be all around kinda. I want to be able to run 11.99 or quicker. but then be able to time attack it or autocross.

In your position I would probably go ahead and boost the auto. If you just run low boost settings you can make it last long enough to get the 5spd parts. At that point you can crank it up.
    (And i know, my car isnt turbo. But i have turbod many cars helping out at my friends DSM shop)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    If your going boosted and plan to keep the auto, take care of its durability issues.
    That's the thing, Im going to swap it, I know the automatic tranny if built, will be better for drag racing but I love the feel of shifting and just the plain feeling of a manual car. I dont plan to keep the auto. I'm just stuck on if I should stay automatic, boost it than swap to five-speed later. or swap to five-speed then boost it afterwards. waiting to be five-speed then boost it will take longer than just boosting it while its auto. And I am ready to make more power! how the cars performance is now is just not satisfying me anymore. I want a five-speed but I can get turbo parts faster than I can get tranny parts. should I boost it while its automatic, blow up the auto then swap to manual? or swap it to manual, wait a little bit then boost it?

I was always a fan of tranny before power and this is why. Your not going to be putting a new tranny in the car, its gonna be a used tranny. So now you get your motor boosted, lets say making 200whp with the auto. Now you toss this 5 speed tranny into play that ends up having a bad synchro, you install it and say, damn this shifts like shit, I'll get it fixed soon. But now you aint got no money, you drive around on this bad tranny until you either totally kill it, or start wiping out gears one by one. This is all just my opinion. I like to make sure the car runs and drives at stock power levels with the drivetrain I have before tossing any power adders into the mix. If you just want to boost it for now and have fun, go for it. Just buy a $75 tranny cooler, get the auto trans flushed and some new fluid. The auto tranny should hold up for a decent amount of time.

Plus, i want the car to be all around kinda. I want to be able to run 11.99 or quicker. but then be able to time attack it or autocross.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Ive road in a built 1g with a built IPT trans and it was pretty insane. He did a brake boost launch and it really pulled through every gear. If your staying auto and want to make descent power, Id recommend looking into IPT and see if they have a rebuild kit for the 8g auto. Not only would it be more durable, but you would be able to shift faster as well. Then once you get that done, you can talk to the guys at TCUgo and see if they have a push button shift setup for the 8g yet :P

Autos are cool if they are done right.
    7g for life!

Is TCUgo even still selling them? I was looking for one the other day and it either said discontinued or out of stock dont rember which and it's been like that since december....

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    daym! jigz is goin big i see. i'm lookin at a 14b right now and i feel your pain hehehe.. still doin alot more readin. but really go don't matter what you do first. I guess whatever you can get your hands on first.

Like everyone else said it depends on you cause it's all personally preferance...

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

If you can get a good set-up, like from IPT, then you might think about going with a manual valve bodie and turn it into a ratchet shift transmission.

Getting traction to do a 11.99 is going to be difficult. Especially on a car with any road race or autox potential. The suspension requirements just arent there.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com