The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: water injection....

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

water injection....

How many people are running this? And would you recommend it? Right now it's manily a daily driver so i know that it would be better to wait till i start taking it to the strip but one the engine gets built ill be getting another car for driving....I looked at a few sites and was reading alittle bit on place sold a kit but it was by map sensor and it went in bars and thats how you set the threshold and the gain you could dial in however you wanted....plus since im just turboing the car i want to get a feel for it and get her running right with a good tune going before i start going crazy....

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i'm no turbo dude. but from what i read, it would help a great amount cooling wise no matter h20 or co2. also having the co2 spray can help clean the internals.. you got the turbo setup yet mike?? can you take pics?? when you can.. I'm also lookin at a 14b right now.. need visuals.. good luck

CO2 is good but at the track the officials will throw your ass out for running it.

CO2 creates condensation, that condensation creates liquid, that liquid gets on the track. on most tracks a lot of cars will be prolly running traps as fast as 100+ mph. when you're going that fast, you dont want to run into unknown liquids sending you into the wall.

Most serious drag racers opt for Nitrous sprayers just because they are the safest way to freeze the air in the intercooler.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

kinda of off but between runs people spray their engines with windex

yes windex, its alcohol so it doesn't puddle or condense

anyways for water injection you can run more boost safely

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

you can make a meth/water injection system for your car for cheap. let me find the tutorial i have and i will post it.
    the tutorial shows you how to make the system and make it so your boost level will drop if the injection loses pressure

That is what i was talking about the meth/water injection....Cause i know if you set the injection right you can dial up the boost up some....I was reading of a guy with a evo who was running 20psi and then had meth injection and got 5 psi out of it and got another like 30hp/48tq

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Milo and Kolio...

Your getting confused between internal injection for cooling and performance and external surface cooling to minimine heat soak. Spraying Co2, water, meth, etc on the exterior surface of intercoolers and intake manifolds just cools them to prevent heat soak between runs. Co2 on the intercooler is most effecient at doing this, however there is a downside. With this type of system, there is no way to predict the temperature changes. This hurts your engine's efficiency and can potentially be bad for the motor. This is becaue if the Co2 cools the intercooler too much, the intake charge will be denser air, which means more air at a given boost pressure which will cause a lean condition and detonation, the other end is if it doesnt cool it enough, you could run rich. This is not really bad for in-between runs type cooling, just dont do it 10 seconds before your about to race, do it like 5 mins before. You can also lay bags of ice on the intercooler pipes and intake manifold to cool them off betwdeen runs.

To Bmxmike...

Water/Meth Injection is a great idea. I would recommend this for track only use since over time, meth can cause chemical breakdown and minor corrosion when exposed to aluminum surfaces inside the engine. Occasional street use is OK, but you just need to alter your tune for it. Im not too familiar with Meth injection used on non-standalone engine management systems. I have the SMC kit on my car, a year ago when I got it, it was the best kit out, but its not anymore. Snow performance makes a really good kit and its relatively inexpensive at about $450 for a good kit. As far as tuning, like I said, Im not that familiar with it on a stock ECU or any type of piggyback. The reason is this, when you spray meth into the motor, not only does it cool, but it has a high octane rating, at which point, once the meth starts spraying, you typically inject less fuel at that point. With a stock ECU your not going to have the ability to change these settings on the fly, so if you set it up that at 8psi the meth comes on and the fuel map changes, thats the way it will always be. So if your using your car on the street and you hit 8psi, if there is no meth in the tank, BOOM goes the motor. The only way I can think of to get around this is by altering boost levels. So lets say you want to run 8psi on the street and 14psi at the track. You get your ECU flashed or piggyback system like E-managed tuned to run the correct fuel map up until 8psi then alter to lower fuel from 8psi to your desired track boost level with meth. So the trick is, on the street, you keep the boost controller at 8psi, so you will never experience the meth coming into play, then at the track you up the boost.

Typically with a water/meth or water/alcohol injection system, a 50/50 mix is usually a good choice. You DO NOT USE REGULAR WATER. You need to use distilled water like you get at the supermarket in gallon jugs. For meth, you get pure methanol, then you mix it with the water. Methanol is highly corrosive to aluminum, so by mixing with water, it lessens the corrosive properties of the mixture. Also, meth is insanely hard to keep free of contaminants. Apparently, your only supposed to open the meth can when your about to mix and use it. So if you buy a 5 gallon jug of meth and you only use 3 gallons, unless you intend on using the rest in a few days, its going to be no good. Im not sure on the specifics of why this happens, but apparently it does, and im not willing to change it for $20 worth of meth versus killing a $5,000 motor.

If you opt to use Alcohol/water, same applies with using distilled water. For the alcohol, you need to use denatured alcohol because it has all the impurities and potentially corrosive substances removed from it.

According to the majority of the users on evom, the meth/water is the best combo. Some people will also use prestone de-icer fluid, or windshield washer fluid as it is high in methanol content, but be weary of this since these products also contain other chemicals used for coloring, temperature range of use, longevity, etc.

All in all, meth is good, if you use it and tune for it correctly. This is a good alternative to use if you dont have room for a giant intercooler or if you have no intercooler at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

WarmAndSCSI
    My Snow Performance methanol injection kit allows me to run 20 lbs of boost on my 6G72 without an intercooler (supercharger, not turbo). It has a variable controller that I have set to start at 5 PSI and to reach full capacity at 15 PSI. I fill my system with SuperTech Winter washer fluid (30% methanol). I put 3 bottles of Heet gas line drier (100% methanol) in each bottle of washer fluid. This gives me slightly over a 50% methanol mixture. I sure hope Wal-Mart carries the winter blend year round here in Utah :)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    My Snow Performance methanol injection kit allows me to run 20 lbs of boost on my 6G72 without an intercooler (supercharger, not turbo). It has a variable controller that I have set to start at 5 PSI and to reach full capacity at 15 PSI. I fill my system with SuperTech Winter washer fluid (30% methanol). I put 3 bottles of Heet gas line drier (100% methanol) in each bottle of washer fluid. This gives me slightly over a 50% methanol mixture. I sure hope Wal-Mart carries the winter blend year round here in Utah :)
    Do you have the newer one with the fail safe? I was looking at getting that kit. I have the SMC kit, im not really sure if I like it because I havent really used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS