The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: paint & electrical problem mabye?EDIT: weird sound from

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

paint & electrical problem mabye?EDIT: weird sound from

long story short, the car starts like it normally should but the radio, all the HVAC controls, and the wiper blades do not work at all. the headlights and windows work fine but didnt try the sunroof. I shut the car off and immediatley restart the car and everthing that didn't work was now working. this is the second time this has happened, the first time was over a year ago but thought nothing of it, but it has happened twice now. anyone know what would cause this to happen?

second thing, I was at the rear of my car and I noticed a small chip in the paint that has started to rust. its about the diameter of a pencil eraser on the passenger side rear quarter panel. should I just get some touch-up paint and paint over it? or should I sand the area down prime it then use the touch-up paint to stop the rust?

thanks for the help.

EDIT: just heard a sound from my roof coming from the rear (or thats where it sounds like it is coming from) only happens with my AC on (I just thought I need to check if it happens if just the blower is on) but there is a tapping, almost wind-chime like noise. I have a sunroof and I usually have the sun visor open to let in light so mabye the air is blowing something around up there, if I close the sun visor it kinda muffles the sound. the sound doesnt happen if I put it to blow on my feet only when it blows fully from dash.

Experienced TGC Member
    POSSIBLY a bad ignition switch..............

Experienced TGC Member
    sorry for the double post.. dont know what happened

Re: couple of things, paint and electrical problem mabye?

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon Sunset
    second thing, I was at the rear of my car and I noticed a small chip in the paint that has started to rust. its about the diameter of a pencil eraser on the passenger side rear quarter panel. should I just get some touch-up paint and paint over it? or should I sand the area down prime it then use the touch-up paint to stop the rust?

thanks for the help.
    That has been happening to my car lately. If you just paint over the rust, it will continue to rust under the paint. You could use touch up paint to get you by until you could sand it all down and repaint it. You could also use some nail polish clear coat to try to keep the rust from oxidizing more in the meanwhile.

thats what I was thinking koncept. but I like the sound of using clear nail polish for now.

and would a bad ignition switch cause that problem? its a pretty rare event, so I guess I'll just watch to see if it happens again and if it happpens more frequently.