The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tranny annoys me

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

tranny annoys me

I have an 03 G8 with 65k on it, exc, cond all around, stock auto trans. Here's the problem: When I take off easy it shifts just fine, smooth, like a grandma mode. When I takeoff fast, like jumping out onto a busy highway from a stop sign, it won't get out of its own way until about 45 mph. I've had automatics before and the acceleration was what i would describe as "linear", as in they accelerate on a flat or discernably curved band of power. When I romp on the gas from a stop it's like there's a dead spot at low end, then a very choppy acceleration curve until about 45 where it shoots off and has plenty of power to spare. The tach doesn't bounce while this is happening, so it's not a miss, i know what coil packs going bad feel like, I'm pretty well experienced in the ways of the automobile. My real question here is if the curve can be smoothed out at all by means of a programmer (I've searched but wasn't satisfied), and if the shift points can be electronically altered. A lot more potential could come out of this auto tranny if it were able to be tuned. Thanks y'all.

Have you tried disconnecting your battery for a few hours overnight to reset the TCU?
    1996 Galant S

tranny flush? mine did that when i got it, then i changed the fluid now its good, but my center diff is shot

Nah, I'm anti-flush. Flushing causes crud to come loose in your tranny and clog up your trans valves. Haven't tried unpluuging to reset computer, but will try it. I think I might need to change the air filter too, restrictive flow might be causing this, but the programming question still remains. Any help is great on this, I've been searching all over the web for a week now.

if you change your tranny fluid on a regular basis, then this crud u speak of doesn't have a real chance to accumulate.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

True. I'll do drain and fills, they are fine, but complete flushes wash out the torque converter. Aside from releasing crud, which admittedly shouldn't be there, washing out the TC cleans off layers of protective coating it has built up to keep itself working smoothly. Might just be my imagination, or coincidence, but problems generaly happen aften tranny flushes.

If you are you are talking about what I think you are talking about, there is nothing wrong with your tranny. Our trannys are just slush boxes. Seriously, sometimes there is actually a pause when I stomp on the gas before it starts to move. It's always been like that too, so I doubt there is anything wrong with my car.

for the most part, a drain and fill should be sufficient. you should be fine.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ
    sometimes there is actually a pause when I stomp on the gas before it starts to move.
    i tell the girls that lag is my turbonator spoolin... :smt081

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by 038G757
    Nah, I'm anti-flush. Flushing causes crud to come loose in your tranny and clog up your trans valves. Haven't tried unpluuging to reset computer, but will try it. I think I might need to change the air filter too, restrictive flow might be causing this, but the programming question still remains. Any help is great on this, I've been searching all over the web for a week now.
    The shift points are programmable, but last I checked, no one had found their location in the PCM ROM. I have decompiled my ROM, but I don't really have the patience to convert the assembly to C.

From what I've read, the shift speed is affected by transmission fluid temperature. So, a transmission cooler should do you some good... if nothing else it will prolong the tranny life. Some people put a filter in line from the cooler.

IPT apparently does some good tranny work. http://www.importperformancetrans.co...uto.shtml#main The Translab shift kit is supposed to be cheap and easy, but I don't actually know anyone who has done it.

My transmission has a similar feel to what you're describing, and I have it flushed every 30K.

So Shiznit, it must be just the way Galant transmissions are, at least until somebody figures out how to program them to smooth out the bumps. What program did you use to crack your PCM?

gcc has processor specific toolkits. I read the ROM with EcuFlash, and decompiled it with gcc SH7055 options. I've written MIPS assembly before, but trying to work with the SH2 instruction set hurt my head.

lol

I guess I'll just put up with it until somebody with more brains than me does it first. if anybody has.... HOOK US UP!

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ
    sometimes there is actually a pause when I stomp on the gas before it starts to move.
    i tell the girls that lag is my turbonator spoolin... :smt081
    LOL!! Thats a good one, They don't know no better anyway.
    The Boss always will Remain Shining!!