The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo Questions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

Turbo Questions

Just wondering, what mods do i have to do too my 99 stock G to be able to put a turbo on it w/o tearing anything up, i was told that i could put a small boost turbo on it w/o doing anything to the motor, is this true, Thanks guys!

Re: Turbo Questions

Quote Originally Posted by badmitsu
    Just wondering, what mods do i have to do too my 99 stock G to be able to put a turbo on it w/o tearing anything up, i was told that i could put a small boost turbo on it w/o doing anything to the motor, is this true, Thanks guys!
    yes u can run small boost without any upgrades but to be on the safe side i would anyways
    From 7g to this...

Shot with DSC-T33 at 2007-07-21
    13.1@109 02 WS6

what do I need to do first??
    well are u going to make a custom one or buy the kit? if ur talking about upgrading then i would start out by getting forged pistons, spark plugs, injectors, etc, how much boost do u plan to run?
    From 7g to this...

13.1@109 02 WS6

i wanna get a kit. I'm not really sure what size, don't know much about them yet, any suggestions on what boost

i wanna get a kit. I'm not really sure what size, don't know much about them yet, any suggestions on what boost
    do u plan on putting it in urself? if so then u best read up, the more boost u do the more u should upgrade the internals, if i remember right, 8-9 lbs should be safe enough without upgrades
    From 7g to this...

13.1@109 02 WS6

thats what i was told 8lbs was good. Nice Car Dude

thats what i was told 8lbs was good. Nice Car Dude
    thx, i still have love for g's tho
    From 7g to this...

13.1@109 02 WS6

just dont slap the tubro on and think your okay...even with 8-9lbs of boost you still have to maintain your car or you will mess things up...change the oil every 3k miles no matter what...even at 9lbs of boost you can blow something..and dont beat on the car either...a safe 9lbs of boost and beating your car will still harm things...dont be stock and jsut slap the turbo on...do more things to it...swap to a DOHC mainly a 6G72 twin turbo baby port out your head...get a bigger TB to get more air into the engine...the more you do before turbo the safer and better success with the turbo and will see better responses with just 8-9 lbs of boost....and get it TUNED really well..but hey its all up to you..we are here to help you not destory the car...

oh yeah and do you school work before you jump the gear will help alot...

no problem...good luck

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    alot of reading you will do my friend.. are you v6 or I4? I'm lookin at a tiny 14b right now. maybe we can share notes if you like. :P

You can boost pretty good on a 4G64. underated boosted around 16 psi with a bone stock motor on a Greddy turbo. Get a good tune, good fuel system, and probably a stronger intake manifold to prevent cracking and you'll be good to go for a while.

There was a grind cam floating around here that is probably going to be your best bet for the head. also, Im pretty sure RPW makes valves and valvesprings for it. so check those out too. and an adjustable cam gear will be necessary.

You might want to check out the Greddy E-manage for a piggyback of some sort. Most people dont like them cause most people don't know how to tune them. So do your homework or get a professional to tune the car. Also you need a boost controller because you dont wanna overboost and tear shit up. Im going out on a limb and say 16psi will be safe as long as you dont boost anymore. The greddy Profec B Spec II is also a good BC. but again, people tend to go for the Spec 1 because most people dont know how to use the spec II. You will also need a turbo timer. Some people skimp out the hundred dollars on it but I say get it. Its a hassle to sit there for a minute and wait for the turbo to cool down and for the oil to circulate. just get it, you'll appreciate it when you dont have time to sit 2-3 minutes in your car waiting for the turbo to be ready to be turned off.

As for fuel system, Im pretty sure, if I did my homework right, that WRX injectors are compatible with our cars. I believe they are a little shy of 470cc's. Invest a little on this side of your turbo project. a good fuel system will help you not starve the turbo and engine. Get a fuel pump. Walbro makes good fuel pumps. I've had a lot of experience with the 255 lph models and nothing but the best. if you're running a small turbo, you might be good with the 194's but IMO i'd go with the 255lph if you're boost happy. A nice rail will also do you good as well as a good fuel pressure regulator. I've heard nothing but good things about the aeromotive fpr.

I say invest on a outlander intake mani swap. I guess you could do okay on the stock one, but it will crack eventually.

on the turbo side of things, you might run into a clearance problem with the starter so invest in exhaust manifold spacers. ask cali about them he has them on his Galant. also, when it comes to exhaust manifolds, you'll be fine with a stock 2G cast manifold for a while. get them ported and you will be pretty good for a good amount of time. if you're running a turbo bigger than a 16G you might want to upgrade to a tubular. On choosing a BOV, I can vouch for any of the greddy ones. they are the best quality and the best blow off valves to use on street turbo mitsus. TiAL is also a good brand but if you're not baller running 400hp you wont need it. plus you can't recirculate a Tial. and lastly, venting into the amosphere will hurt your car more than help it. unless you're running a GM MAF with a translator you will want to recirculate the BOV into the intake.

Thats all I can think of, so hopefully it helps.

If I'm wrong, correct me. I would hate to have people follow my wrong advice.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Boy get your school books ready.......

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

99 v6, its a damn good motor, i just don't want to hurt BADMITSU!! thanks for all of ya'll suggestions, greatly appreciated

does anyone know where i can get a motor from like japan or something that already has turbo on it? Thatreally seems like the best way to go. I loved tuning and customizing on my car, but like I said before, me not know much about turbos, but i can change the motor out!!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    It would be by FAR easier to slap on a turbo manifold/turbo to your stock motor then to do a turbo swap. Sure you could get a JDM EVO 4-8 motor with a turbo already on it and it would put out a lot more power and hold more boost then your stock motor, but I dont think you could do the swap unless you really start educating yourself on it.

Take your car to a shop, have them put a turbo kit on it for you.
    7g for life!

the only prob w/ that is, i'm married two kids and broke as shit, i'm still saving money now for the turbo, or something w/ some hp, i mean my car is fast as hell, BUT i got smoked my a cobra the other day

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Of course you are going to get smoked by a Supercharged v8 Cobra man, you have a slow stock 4cyl grocery getter!

If you really want to turbo your car, I would recommend to start reading all the stickies in this forum and start searching. All of your questions have been answered in previous posts. Its not that hard to turbo your car at all, mechanically everything bolts up, you just have to understand what parts you need and why you need them.

I was in your shoes like 5 years ago, after a year or so of researching, I was able to do my own motor swap and I know more now then I ever did. If you dont want to research or read, then you will not learn the necessities it takes(unless you have a friend whom owns a turbo vehicle or will teach you).
    7g for life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast