The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo Kit

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Turbo Kit

Hey, a buddy of mine has a 8g 2000 2.4l and is getting ready to buy this ebay turbo kit...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120143065399

he is not going to install it himself but he is wondering what should he consider upgrading out of this kit for reliablility...

Also he has a guy that says he will install the kit for 750 but does not include tune...... does that seem like a decent install price... :?:
    2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I wouldnt use the turbo, if its an XS Power or any knockoff, they have cheap cartridges and are prone to cracking. As long as he re-inforces the mani it should be fine and everything else should be ok.
    7g for life!

ya i wouldnt trust that turbo. even if the wastegate is cheap then he could have some real problems. things like the intercooler, piping clamps, etc that arent "moving parts" should be ok for cheap knockoffs but when ur engine is on the line you want to trust somthing thats not gonna fail.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Ok so how does one go about getting a "real" turbo and not a knock off...
    2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

if its a name everyone including you knows about and stay about from the ebay turbos...

I got the EXACT turbo (Turbo and oil lines only) from the same guy, and they are rebuilds. I called the shop to make sure it was a “tuner” shop and made sure the internals were replaced and not “refurbished”. If he gets it he should take it to a machine shop that is familiar with turbos and get it inspected. Mine checked out fine, but in the long-run it will cost $100-$150 for the turbo check for a $200 turbo. The wastegate port is filled and covered. This should be inspected from the inside of the turbo.

As for a fuel system, the boost will come on fast with the small turbo and would suggest the entire fuel system to be upgraded to compensate. I need it to run SAFELY at 8.5psi.

The downpipe is a bitch no matter which manifold you get, or get a MIG/TIG. The turbo gets a 4 bolt flange that was a pain to get in itself, yet find a ready-made downpipe.

The oil kit that I got from him leaked from me bending the line too far and burst while driving, spewing oil all over the motor and manifold (and a flat-bed ride home). If it is going to be anything like mine, thermo-tec wrap the oil line like icedoutgalant, or make a solid line like I did.

Engine management?

You will need new clamps and “reinforced couplings”.

I can afford a new engine if mine fails and have a backup car, so I can take some chances. Can he?