The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trans prob

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Trans prob

Well. i lost O/D last week so i yank out the trans and got me a low mileage but didn't grab the TQ converter because the motor was locked up so i used the same one and the new trans i drove it around 1st and second shifted so nice now. but i still don't have O/D What could be the problem? i know the new trans had pure clean fuild

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Is the new tranny shifting through all the gears?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Is the new tranny shifting through all the gears?
    1-2-3 but no Over drive.

Maybe i should clear myself up abit...... Alright i replaced the old trans with a "used" outta a JY the fuild was nice and clean. but i couldn't get the TQ converter out the motor was locked up....... pull the filter it was clean theres no was that the new trans couldn't have o/d i think it a computer issue but the scanner didn't pick up anything on the old trans it gave a code p1750... i have no idea what to do or think.

try clearnin the code and if you still have the old senser in place try replacein it with either a new one or upgraded one and if that don't work find where the o/d senser is and trace it back to either the fuse box or to the tranmission senser cable there youll probley see the transaxle box with a wire plug but if you cant find it let me know it proble in you esm on the floor

Quote Originally Posted by dingo
    try clearnin the code and if you still have the old senser in place try replacein it with either a new one or upgraded one and if that don't work find where the o/d senser is and trace it back to either the fuse box or to the tranmission senser cable there youll probley see the transaxle box with a wire plug but if you cant find it let me know it proble in you esm on the floor
    Well i tryed a 95 computer i yank out the ECU and im guessing the TMU. and replaced them both mines a 97 so the ECU didn't work but the TMU went in and still no O/D i have no clue why the old trans didn't have O/D either and im thinking it a fuse or wire issue? btw i dropped the old tranny in the JY as a core. i left all the senser on them and kept all the ones on the new one.

OHH and. with the old trans at 40 it would sometimes catch but lose it around 60 or rev up.... this one it don't even try to catch it just revs..... i can't wait for the one in my green one to go. 5spd swap seems better.

So your tranny shifts only to third gear? Are you sure the junkyard tranny has a problem? The torque converter should cause your issue.

im thinking the torque converter is bad.. because it goes in o/d when in 40mph ans slips out . theres no way two trans could have this problem same

Quote Originally Posted by 97mitswhite
    im thinking the torque converter is bad.. because it goes in o/d when in 40mph ans slips out . theres no way two trans could have this problem same
    I meant your torque converter "shouldnt" be causing the problem..I meant to type that on my post you responded to. I am still figuring out if your tranny only shifts up to 3rd gear. IF so...the torque converter shouldn't be the cause of that, sounds like a internal valve issue to where its not shifting to 4th and the slipping or slotchy shifting.

to check converter

You can easily check the converter by doing this:

1) its mesy

2) wear gloves if you dont like oil

3) put the converter in a flat surface.

4) on the hole for the pump shaft insert a finger deep, there try to rotate the pump with the finger if it rotates to either side, then its really bad, if you can rotate one side ,then see if the movement is smooth and I mean smooth, if it feels like is grabing and releasing, then its the converter.

This is a quick way to check, or take it to an expert to have it checked.

if your car "nuetrals" out when it tries to go into fourth gear, you have a blown end clutch.
    its quite common on the 20 series trannies. It can be fixed without trans removal for about 2-300 bucks.

i had that same thing happen on mine, some people also call it the overdrive clutch packs that are blown.
    Light em up.

yup

same thing happened on a 94 ls i had.
    blows OD
    as a lil ease of mind if ur not up to fixing it just yet, u can remedy the annoyance by hiting the OD button n turning it off, doing that will keep it from going into OD and hence wont slip into neutral on you.
    i drove like that forever before messing with the tranny.
    itll just be like driving a manual and never going past 3rd
    its only anoying on the highways cus the higher rpms and depending on stcks or aftermarket rims, stockers ull get max 95mph redline
    18" ull get 101mph
    goodluck

I dont have OD for 15-20 min after I start the car, but after that in goes into it no prob. the end clutches have to go.
    Last edited by mko; 08-21-2008 at 12:07 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread