The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new air filter

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

new air filter

quick question...if i bought a K&N air filter the box shape one to replace the factory air filter will it have the same noise a curcular on makes....
    example:

versus

No, and you probably wont notice a difference with that filter vs stock. If you want a difference get a 3" hard pipe CAI or short ram.

if the filter is still inside the airbox, you probably won't hear the noise compared to if a filter was outside of the airbox

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

what if the top of the box was off....i have a short ram im speakin about my dads focus

if you remove or cut out part of the airbox then there will be more noise. but you want to make sure that the filter is secured.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

ok well it dont really matter cuz i installed a short ram on his car and not know much about performance comes to me and goes why do i have that when all im gettin is hot air..then i said well upgrade to a CAI and he was liek alright so now im online shoppin for his CAI haha funny dude he is

I have a short ram and I am looking for a new filter...anyone with a K&N with a part number? My outlet to the filter is like 5"...4.5 - 5" and I cant seem to find the right filter anywhere around here. Any ideas?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

just buy a cheap ebay air filter and adaptor.

you'll get more restriction out of te factory airbox than you would through an oem air filter.

installing a cone type filter and ditching the stock airbox will open up a lot of breathing room.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I have the stock box with drop in K&N filter, no difference in noise (that's why I got it) and no difference in power either (don't need any more anyway), the plus is I don't have to but a new filter every couple months (I'm anal about my car) because one oil and clean kit lasts for years.

If you just want to draw attention to yourself, get an ebay adapter and get a cone style filter, you'll not only get a near unnoticable power increase, you'll also sound like a ricer, unless you have just the right muffler, the Apexi WS muffler sounds hot with a cone filter (I draw this from experience, had a Honda where parts are a lot cheaper than our Galants)

Or, you can hack the airbox! You need to cut a hole, because you need to keep the surround or edge to keep the filter in place, but the rest can go, but it's awful hot under the hood, again, not much increase in power, but you'll get at least a little more of the sound, it might not sound too bad either.

is it just me or is our underhood temp quite a bit higher than other cars?
    Light em up.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelman
    is it just me or is our underhood temp quite a bit higher than other cars?
    mine was, until i realized i had an exhaust leak between the block and the exhaust header.
    I would check for leaks if i were you

Quote Originally Posted by ohgrfreak
    I have the stock box with drop in K&N filter, no difference in noise (that's why I got it) and no difference in power either (don't need any more anyway), the plus is I don't have to but a new filter every couple months (I'm anal about my car) because one oil and clean kit lasts for years.

If you just want to draw attention to yourself, get an ebay adapter and get a cone style filter, you'll not only get a near unnoticable power increase, you'll also sound like a ricer, unless you have just the right muffler, the Apexi WS muffler sounds hot with a cone filter (I draw this from experience, had a Honda where parts are a lot cheaper than our Galants)

Or, you can hack the airbox! You need to cut a hole, because you need to keep the surround or edge to keep the filter in place, but the rest can go, but it's awful hot under the hood, again, not much increase in power, but you'll get at least a little more of the sound, it might not sound too bad either.
    what the hell does intake noise have to do with exhaust noise? lmao.

I have a short ram and it doesn't make much noise except when you turn the car off.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3
    Quote Originally Posted by ohgrfreak

what the hell does intake noise have to do with exhaust noise? lmao.

I have a short ram and it doesn't make much noise except when you turn the car off.
    I have a Injen Short ram, with a custom metal adapter and a Tenzo R 4.5" air filter. From what I can hear, my Short ram now, was louder than my full CAI. Atleast thats what I hear when the exhaust isnt too loud. (you wont hear my exhaust at 50-55mph at 10% throttle its awesome!)
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

i hate to burst everyone's bubble i already have an intake in my car this was for my dads car i was just askin i went and but a intake in it....i have a magnaflow exhaust that with my pep boys intake sounds mean as shit nice and deep soundin...and DKNIGHT why do u only here ur intake when u turn ur car off i dont thats for shit when im at open throttle i can here it if not i just hear my exhasut