The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To: Install Neons Or L.E.D.s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar

How To: Install Neons Or L.E.D.s

how to install neons, the directions with the kit is only 5 long and the 5th says ENJOY lmao!

1. buy the kit from streetglow.com or any other place you can find it, i bought mine at advance auto parts

2. open the hood, disconnect the POSITIVE on the battery, and install the transformer that is supplied in the kit

3. start with the front, there really isnt a place under the car so i hid mine behind the lower grill, was a pain to squeeze in but it fits, ziptie it in since you wouldnt want to bolt here AND zipties are better (thankyou mrjaydeeone for the tip)

4. run the wire attached to the front one up threw the top grill and along the hood to the transformer

5. jack the car up to have one side up

6. if you want to hid the tubes on the sides, you have to drill 3-5 holes that you will ziptie the neon to

7. repeat for the other side

8. for the rear, take out the screws that hold the bumper to the car BUT leave in the 2 bolts that are there. on my 99 there was 6 spots, two had bolts and 4 were screws

9. ziptie the neon threw these holes, do extra zipties if you wish

10. get the switch for inside the car hooked up, hard to get the camera in for this but pull up the carpet a bit and you will find a black "plug" that u can pop out MAKE SURE YOU FIND IT make a cross in it with a blade and run the wires threw that into the car

11. run the other side of the wire threw a space under the car to the top without touching anything hot or moving

12. connect the transfer wire to the transformer box and the positive wire to the positive of the battery

13. run the driver side wire up threw the same spot that you did the switch wire (may have to strip and add wire to it)

14. add wire to the passenger side and run that up threw a hole on the passenger side and ground the negative and insert the positive into your transformer, hard to see but there is a hole down there

15. on the rear neon, split the wire and ground the negative to the tail lights, add ONE long wire to the positive side and run it up the side of the car to the hole where the side one went up and then to the transformer

16. hook up the battery and try it out

^ that is why you should hide it on the inside of that bar

^ that is hidden inside compared to the other side

any questions, i will do my best to explain more

p.s. most people say this rices it but i like neons personally and this took me around 5 hrs since i had to have people help me drill and do the wiring and the instructions that come with it are only 5 steps, make it easier then it is

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU MESS UP, CONNECT SOMETHING WRONG AND IT BREAK OR BLOWS, OR ANYTHING ELSE, ITS NOT MY FAULT

yeah I am considering an underbody kit for my silver G, but not sure what would look good with it, also whats a good length tube for the sides, our local shop has a few differant sized tubes. :?

for the galant, 30" for the front and back and 48" along the sides is perfect, if u get the 36" and 42" that wont fit as well so you need the 30" 48"

great tutorial, but excess lighting is a little too rice for me.
    im more into performance now...

yea im not into that much work yet, just making it look nice

Nice tutorial. :P

Make sure you check local laws before installing. I put front one in the same spot you did and it got me pulled over and cited. In CO it's illegal to have anything other than driving/fog lights emanating from the front bumper or grill. I had to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by mindwerkz
    Make sure you check local laws before installing. I put front one in the same spot you did and it got me pulled over and cited. In CO it's illegal to have anything other than driving/fog lights emanating from the front bumper or grill. I had to remove it.
    thanks, well i passed cops in my town already with them on and i havnt gotten bugged yet, but if i do ill just fix it, i have white which is a legal color for CT

Quote Originally Posted by EvoTheDon
    Nice tutorial. :P
    x2...good work

2001 5 speed 4g64T

thanks, i had help drilling from a buddy and then doing the electrical from another, but i learned and did it my self with them walking me threw it, and for the drilling we had to go to a friends house who had the tools lol

lol well i have to buy a new fuse, i blew it :D

I didnt know people still put underbody neons on their cars

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted
    I didnt know people still put underbody neons on their cars
    x2

yea, its just something i personally like

but somehow my fuse blew lol

Experienced TGC Member
    Hmm...i didnt know that Neons wouldnt be that bright. :? I might just go with LEDs. I want something that is going to be bright as hell. Hmm....im seriously thinking. If i keep the kit i have now, ill save over $100 from not having to buy a new one. :?

*Underglow can look damn nice on a car when installed properly :P

TGC Regular
    Man that is a Rangi (Dodgy) install.... don't leave the wires exposed along the channel under the hood like that, it doesn't look good at all dude.
    You'll only need the transformer for Neons, LED's don't or shouldn't require one.
    Also, drilling into that seam on the bottom of the car is a bad idea, if that rusts out your f****d.

You'd be better to drill 2 small holes either end of the tube and mount then with PK screws. it's alot more secure and won't bounce around. Another way to make them light up is the way I did by tapping into the door switches, so they only light up when you open the doors :)
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp

quick tip too, L.E.Ds are brighter than neons and no one.. NO ONE makes a brighter kit that streetglow... those $60 ebay kits don't compare.
    MARCH 2009 COTM
    fully interfaced with Xbox Media Center. learn more at www.xbmc.org[/b]

Ballin' on a budget

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GUTTAZMITZ
    quick tip too, L.E.Ds are brighter than neons and no one.. NO ONE makes a brighter kit that streetglow... those $60 ebay kits don't compare.
    Looks like ill be going with the LED kit 8)

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GUTTAZMITZ
    Indeed, thoes streetglow ones are awsome.... unfortunatly we don't get them here, however the ones I have a re pretty close to brightness.
    All the L.E.D's on my car are wired to the door switches, so when you open the front or back doors the undercar glows blue, and the inside glows blue depended on if it's the front or back. The rear only lights the rear 2 L.E.D's and the undercar kit, the front lights the rear and front ( left glows on the left side only, and right on the right in the foot well ) as well as the undercar kit.

Also just for the added touch, the trunk glows blue aswell when you open it.
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok! Todays the day! Id like to get my neon underglow kit installed today while at work. I have 2 transformers and 4 neon tubes. My question is how do i wire up these 2 transformers?

Thats a pic of the transformers i have. Theres 2 black wires running out of the top, and one small red wire at the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast