The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Istallation kits for 99 - 2003 Galant

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Istallation kits for 99 - 2003 Galant

Does anyone know what specific manufacturer/kit is available for the 99 - 03 Galant? Is one needed to install aftermarked head unit? What I've come accross thus far is the following;

Metra kit # 99-7001 Mitsubishi multi-kit (1990 - 2005)
    Scosche Industries - # MI154OB (1989 - 1993 Galant)
    Scosche Industries - # MI2010B (1994 - 1998 Galant)
    Scosche or Metra websites have nothing listed for 1997 - 2003 Galants.

Any comments/replies from someone who has installed aftermarket head unit would be greatly appreciated. As mentioned previously, perhaps a kit isn't required when installing an aftermarket unit!

Dash kit is not needed for an 8g galant. All you need is a 70-7001, or a 70-7003 if you have the infinity system.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

cntrylvr79, thanks for the reply. So if the vehicle is equipped with the Infinity system, use Metra kit # 70-7003 and if not, use kit # 70-7001. Have you installed an aftermarket head unit? If so, what make and manufacturer was installed and any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

countrylover is a stereo installer at places liek best buy and circuit city.

There are no tips really. Just match up the wires from the metra harness to the aftermarket harness you have and splice. I rate it a 1 on the difficulty scale.

Quote Originally Posted by GSpeed
    cntrylvr79, thanks for the reply. So if the vehicle is equipped with the Infinity system, use Metra kit # 70-7003 and if not, use kit # 70-7001. Have you installed an aftermarket head unit? If so, what make and manufacturer was installed and any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.
    As qnz stated, I do this for a living, so I couldn't even count the number of decks I've put into an 8g galant. As far as tips go, like qnz said match the wire colors. The black wire you'll have to ground to metal in the vehicle. Normally in an 8g I'll ground the black wire to the single screw that holds the radio in place.

Mounting the radio you have 2 options.
    1 Remove the factory mounting braackets from the stock radio and screw them into the sides of the aftermarket radio. Mount aftermarket radio the same way you removed stock radio.

2. Take the cage off of the aftermarket radio and slide it ito the hole in the dash bezel where the radio was. Bend tabs of cage. Put dash bezel back into car. Slide new radio into cage.

I've done it both ways. It's just a matter of what the customer prefers as far as looks go.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

Thanks cntrylvr79. The fit and finish of the head unit into the stock location wa smy main concern. Didn't want it sticking too far out etc. Wiring shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.

Well, recieved and installed the Pioneer P6900UB and installation was petty staight foward with reaching the rear screw that held radio bracket in place the only tough part. Have the OEM speakers in place for time being. However, once unit was installed and powered on, the faceplate didn't open to allow insertion of cd's (it's not hitting the trim/dash). Anyone experiance the same thing and if so, what dis causing this issue/did I do something wrong? May just end up returning unit.

My apologies for the delay in following up however, I've since determined the problem with the faceplate not opening. The screws used to fasten the unit to the factory side brackets were either too long or tight preventing the faceplate internals from moving.

ok I put a pioneer deck in my 03 es with the factory brackets and was unable to put the trim piece around the head unit do I have to trim the actual bezel to fit the trim ring or just leave the gap between the bezel and the head, or use the case in the bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian03Galant View Post
    ok I put a pioneer deck in my 03 es with the factory brackets and was unable to put the trim piece around the head unit do I have to trim the actual bezel to fit the trim ring or just leave the gap between the bezel and the head, or use the case in the bezel?
    Yep. Either trim it, or just leave it off.

thanks