The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: clicking noise

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

clicking noise

has anybody experienced a *CLICKING* noise coming from the engine bay...just started the other day... and aslo sometimes when i turn the car on i get this sqeeking noise thought it was the belt..or the a/c belt cuz when i put the air on it will make the noise...i just the belt dressing for it didnt really hear anything and then later today i turned it on and i heard it...talked to the mecahnic when i got it inspected but didnt say if the belt was bad..any suggestions...????

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    the clicking is normal. i think its called engine knock or crank walk or something like that. as for your belts, you should really open the hood and take a look if something is hitting them or if its time to change.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

i did open the hood and looked...my mechanic family freind didnt see signs of damage...the thing is my belt has the mitsu symbol on it...does that mean its the stock belt that was put on in 97...i was thinkin mayb it still had the warranty and the owner got a new one from the deal..not sure...and CRANK WALLK...i thought that was not good...how can i cure that..

clicking is lifter tick- solved with oil stabalizer

squeaking belt- :smt102

belt grease only helps so much, whenever i rev past 3500 and ac is on, cover your ears

it only does it with ac

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

where would i buy the oil stabalizer and does that go into the head..and should i replace the belt..is there a main belt and a a/c belt

autozone and auto places have lucas oil stabalizer and other stuff to get rid of lifter tick

the blet only oem belts are good, and there are like 10 belts on the 7G 1 for everything.

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

well my belt is till the OEM i i beleice it have the mitsu symbol on it

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Clicking is more then likely lifter tick as long as the tick is only at idle and not when you rev. If the tick gets louder or faster with revs, it is something far worse.

Lifter tick usually happens for two reasons. One, the oil is really low and the lifters arent getting lubricated enough and they will start to tick. Or two, the lifters might be dirty or just thick oil cause them to tick. Lucas Oil makes an oil stabilizer I believe, can be bought at any autoparts store and is just added to the head.

Either way, if you havent changed the oil yet, I would start with that.

For the belts, if it still has the mitsu symbol, just means that it is a Mitsu belt and not one from the autoparts store. I always just replace my belts when they start to squeak unless something came loose. Belts will have a shelf life, as they are used, they will stretch, when they get too loose they will start to slip on the pulleys and squeal. You can try tightening all 3 belts if they seem loose, or if they are cracked, buy new ones.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Unfortunately lifter tick is common with the early to mid 90's mitsu motors. Low oil pressure or dirty oil will cause lifter tick. Either Lucas oil stabilizer or Marvel mystery oil will help cure the lifter tick issue and a fresh oil change even does more.

If you tried to adjust the tension and the belts still make noise, then try to replace your belts..they are relatively inexpensive and general maintanance doesn't hurt. Now if it continues and the squeeling is more often..then I would start checking the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) for seperation of the insulator and the actual pulley. Over time and if the insulation has been exposed to prolong oil or coolant (This is if you have a leak)..the insulation slowly breaks down and eventually fails.

This is what happens when it finally gives up. Mind you my belts gradually kept squelling even after adjust tension. Luckily mine went out only at idle..it would of been a worse if I was on higher RPM's and driving.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

my harmonic balancer gave out at 2k rpms. had to have it towed to the dealer. cost me 375 bucks to change it along with 1 of the belts. you can visually see if it's seperating. thats why my belts squeaked at first . tightened them and 1 week later balancer gave out. happend last december. make sure everything is good.

If you do it yourself (which isnt a hard task) you can save a lot of money off of that. I replaced mine with a new one when i put in my new motor. Its one of those things that can be reused, but its not reccomended. Just replace it if it shows any real sign of wear.