The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Removing a/c?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Removing a/c?

Is there any benefit to removing a/c? (other than free up a little weight)

Mine doesn't work (hasn't for a couple years) due to a leak and I do not plan on ever fixing it.

when the a/c clutch isnt engaged the compressor doesnt put much if any load on the engine.
    but it would probably save you a good bit of weight if you dont think its worth fixing

removing it may save you about 10-12 pounds.

not worth the hassle.

would be better to fix it.

my compressor weighed about 12 lbs by itself, then you have about 1.5lb for the bracket, then about 6 lbs for the condensor(removing the condensor makes a more direct route to the radiator for better cooling i.e. no obstruction)
    all the lines are aluminum so i immagine one all the lines are pulled you'll save maybe 2 lbs there.
    the silver canister thing(dryer?) in the fenderwell weighs about 4 lbs.
    once you remove all the lines your engine bay has been cleaned up substantially.
    witht eh a/c compressor out there is one less belt to kick off, or to remove to get the crank puley off

If you dont' use a/c and you won't miss it,
    then its just dead weight.
    if you are bored and want to work on your car and not pay a dime, go for it.
    get rid of all the crap that YOU don't use.

although you won't be dropping a ton of weight... removing dead weight fromt he car does in fact help with mileage. although the difference woudl be minimal with just the a/c system removed.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    my compressor weighed about 12 lbs by itself, then you have about 1.5lb for the bracket, then about 6 lbs for the condensor(removing the condensor makes a more direct route to the radiator for better cooling i.e. no obstruction)
    all the lines are aluminum so i immagine one all the lines are pulled you'll save maybe 2 lbs there.
    the silver canister thing(dryer?) in the fenderwell weighs about 4 lbs.
    once you remove all the lines your engine bay has been cleaned up substantially.
    witht eh a/c compressor out there is one less belt to kick off, or to remove to get the crank puley off

If you dont' use a/c and you won't miss it,
    then its just dead weight.
    if you are bored and want to work on your car and not pay a dime, go for it.
    get rid of all the crap that YOU don't use.

although you won't be dropping a ton of weight... removing dead weight fromt he car does in fact help with mileage. although the difference woudl be minimal with just the a/c system removed.
    The main benefit would be from bypassing the A/C compressor. I.E. buy a shorter accessory (serpentine) belt.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    7g has its own belt for the A/C.
    7g for life!

yup, all you could really do is take off the compressor belt
    that probably wont be a noticeable difference in power unless your compressor clutch is stuck engaged or something

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    what hassle? i removed my entire a/c system in 5 minutes
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

but you are master peano...
    lowly galant owners like us dont match your skill
    lol
    i have never tried so i dont know how difficult it is. mine works and i dont plan on removing it

yeah if it works just keep it in there...there's not much performance gained by removing it....mine leaked dry a few years back and the seals dried up and couldn't hold pressure anymore....plus i was sick of feeling a huge power loss everytime i flicked the a/c on...so i decided i can roll the windows down instead LOL

1994 Galant GS 5spd

haha, mine hasnt been turned on in a few months
    but unlike the starter of this thread, i live in florida and it it much needed during the summer

I cant stand not having a car with AC, and I live in a cold climate.

seriously, it doesnt take much to actually fix one that has a problem... its worth more in the long run to repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by frag_daddy_2007
    haha, mine hasnt been turned on in a few months
    but unlike the starter of this thread, i live in florida and it it much needed during the summer
    lol it should be illegal to not have a/c in FL....every time i go back to FL it's like going to the sun

1994 Galant GS 5spd

yeah, well we are the "sunshine state"
    they just dont tell you that we get hotter than the surface of the sun during the summer...
    until i got my tint job done, i could easily get 1st degree burns from the metal on my seat belt buckles when i got in the car after a few hours...

Sorry to dig up this oldie, but I just did this myself and I'd like to clarify a few things.

Weights-

14lbs AC compressor
    6lbs radiator condensor thing
    6lbs Mounting brackets and pulley tensioner thing
    3lbs Lines in and out.
    ~2lbs dryer canister

I've still got to get the rest out. *le sigh* I only busted one finger too! Trying to get the lower most bolt from the mounting bracket out:

(To self)
    "Hmm, this is going to suck"
    (positions ratchet for maximum leverage)
    "COME ON!!"
    (bolt violently breaks loose)
    "FUCKKKK!!!!"

Without power steering, the weight reduction is noticable. The car also doesn't want to understeer as much. Steering effort at a stand still also went down.
    1996 Galant S

took mine out as well. turned it on one day and it only blew hot air....so it went bye bye! Any noticable difference...no. But whatever

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

I take it you have power steering then. :P I, do not. :twisted:
    1996 Galant S