The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: dropping AC.....

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    know that noise you heard outside.........

dropping AC.....

ok... so to run any accessories, you have to suck a little power off the engine to turn the stuff, and bla bla bla..... lol...

what type of power are we talking though ? half a horse power ?

and would you notice it...

now i dont understand this fully... but wouldnt it be the same as just turning it off ? like when the AC is off, the pully just spins freely, but when you turn the AC on it engauges the compressor, and therefore sucks off the engine.....

so heres the skinny..... is it worth getting rid of it ?

yea, im looking for the mods that include taking stuff off to get more power...

any ideas along those lines ? btw, i cant really tear up the car...... so yea...

Thanks fo your time.....

Mike

1998 Mitsubishi Galant ES
    "freedom of speach includes volume"

Removing just for "more power"...even weight loss seems pointless to me. I don't think every part of the AC system weighs enough for a considerable weight loss. Sure the AC takes a bit to run, but are you honestly going to be going for maximum horsepower with the AC on? Even so it's not like your losing accelration due to having 2 300 lb chicks in the back seat.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    you can also loo into buying after market pulleys that are smaller(although the pully is quite small for the AC)

I couldn't fathom living life without my A/C, I'm putting on the 63t... Hell i had to cut a sliver of metal out of the cyclone intake support so it would fit! If i didn't have A/C i guess i would be Blue Ice would it

cool... thats kinda what i was thinking... and if im useing the AC in pa... moving 2 or 3 hrs south will most likely make me want it more.....

looks like im keeping it :P

or maybe ill drop the AC, and just get myself an umbrella gilr like the pros have :D

At this point with your car there would be no point to getting rid of the a/c. It is clutch driven so it only engages when the a/c is turned on and you don't have enough mods or seem to be creating a track only car so the weight savings will not really be of too much benefit for you either. Save yourself a massive headache and just leave it alone, you will be happier in the long run ... especially if you ever plan on selling the car.

222whp/250wtq

guess i wont be getting that umbrella girl :(

lol

Alright, since I'm guessing none of the guys speaking before me have taken out their AC, I'll be the first.

YES, you will notice a difference. Not in power, but in handling. Because your front end is 30 some-odd pounds lighter, you can feel less understeer in the corners; I did.

Any perceived power gains are purely in your head, IMO. The only thing I noticed was a quicker wind up because of less strain.

Bear in mind, when I ripped my AC out, I took EVERYTHING out in front of the firewall.

One side benefit of this is, you won't have to worry about those belts squealing. My car has one belt, so if I hear squealing, BAM -I know which belt it is.

I say, take it out if you can deal with the heat. If your windows roll down you should be fine!
    1996 Galant S

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Speaking from personal experience here. I suggest to keep your A/C unless your car is just a "weekend" car..if its your daily driver, its wise to keep your A/C. Not only A/C is good to have on those hot days..its good during the rain because heat from the motor bay slowly heats up the cabin along with your body heat and foggy windows isn't fun and not to mention you'll sweat and it will feel muggy. I know..my GVR4 is my DD (Wasn't intended to be) and I have experienced it.

The A/C compressor only robs power when its engaged. If you remove it..it will give you some weight savings, but more noticable is that your motor has 1 less thing to rotate...less rotating mass, the easier for the motor. So your motor will like its revving faster and you'll feel more power.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I took my AC out during my swap thinking I wouldnt miss it ... but I want it back :(
    7g for life!

it seems faster rev has been mentioned a couple of times. instead of loosing the ac for revving purposes, why not go with a lightweight flywheel to truely increase the revs. i think he's 5spd

How is a GVR4 for a daily, cause i'm really contemplating buying the white one in the other post in the members forum

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    How is a GVR4 for a daily, cause i'm really contemplating buying the white one in the other post in the members forum
    Actually the car has been really good...I haven't had any problems besides the water pump going out and a rear left caliper seizing. There are GVR4 owners that claim that these cars make awsome daily drivers and are just as comfortable as any late model car, but just more fun to drive. Granted most of theirs are close to stock with minor mods.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    why not go with a lightweight flywheel to truely increase the revs.

i truley regret putting an 8lb flywheel in mine. i'm gonna be putting my stock one back soon. Robbed me of my torque, which is why the 64' is so mean. everythin went down hilll after the flywheel :cry:

what's the point in revving high if you make no power there :smt102

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Experienced TGC Member
    Well.. Lets see here. IMO.... Keep it all there. Just make up for the loss... Have a fully functional car.... There are mods you can do for CHEAP that will compensate for the A/C... Hell now since i slightly modded my engine.. Runing the A/C isnt a problem. She still picks up and goes way faster than it did when i was auto.. But to each his own.. I just really dont see the point. Its there. It works. Let it be.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    How will a lightened flywheel rob you of your torque? And like said above, the AC is clutch driven, so when its not engaged, it spins freely and will not rob you of any power. Removing it would only be lightening the car a bit, and if you remove the AC condenser, maybe some better cooling, but nothing noticeable.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    I took my AC out during my swap thinking I wouldnt miss it ... but I want it back :(
    same here man i took mine out when i had my motor out now i want it back too. not worth taking out at all there is no power gain, no noticable. but do wat you want i would leave it cause its nice to have!

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    same here man i took mine out when i had my motor out now i want it back too. not worth taking out at all there is no power gain, no noticable. but do wat you want i would leave it cause its nice to have!
    That's one of the main things i wanted to make sure would go back on when i do my swap, it killed me that i had to disconnect my charge hoses. There was a lower sopport bolt that got seized... the entier shaft. So i couldn't let it hang. It used to blow cold... i hope it still will when i get it all back together.