The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Norcal Performance Turbo Kit for the 2.4L 8G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 38
    Norcal Performance

Norcal Performance Turbo Kit for the 2.4L 8G

Right now we only have it available for the Eclipse and Stratus coupe. I will be making this kit available to fit on the Galant very soon. I just want to see if anybody will be interested. This is a very well designed kit. We have had it on our test car (Stratus Coupe) Since febuary. At the time it was an Automatic and we resently did a 5-speed swap. With the Auto at 4psi it got 164hp to the wheels and 175lb of torque. We will uping the boost to 6psi. So as soon as we Dyno it we can give new numbers. We plan to dyno very soon. We will have the kit preset at 6psi but it will be capable oof much more. For more info please post here or call us at 408-226-2023.

Cliff

Hey, that looks really nice Cliff. Good Job.

Damn thats one CLEAN turbo setup!!

How much?

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    That set-up is extremely clean.. Wondering what the numbers will be at 6psi//
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Norcal Performance
    For 6 psi you can probably figure ABOUT 185-195 whp with good tuning on an auto.

We will be getting my car back tomorrow and we'll see if we can get it running. This will be at 4psi on the newly swapped 5-speed. So we'll see what kind of numbers we can get from that.

Norcal Performance
    Opps sorry forgetting the price. The price for the complete kit is $3600. It includes FMIC, Turbo T3/4, Piping, turbo Manifold, 440cc injectors, AFC, and much more.

Cliff

this is question to norcal performance:

I am assuimg those number are at 9:1 compression...
    Now, my question is: how much of the tuning do you guys do on turbo eclipse - or stratus after installation of the turbo.
    Do you tune them on the dyno - or you just take them to the Dyno to run a baseline?

Also, is there any way that we can see the dyno basline ? (on the turbo eclipse or stratus with the 4g64).
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

Norcal Performance
    We have done a large amount of tuning on the dyno. We feel that tuning on a dyno is by far the best way to tune a car. We honestly dont recommend tuning any other way.

When tuning my car, we gained 17whp just from tuning.

Unfortunately we werent able to get a baseline dyno run. Due to the fact that the kit was already on my car before we went to the dyno and couldnt get a baseline.

Yes those numbers are at stock compression. We have not lowered my compression yet. Although we are having Forged Pistons made (8.5:1)

escoson
    this looks really nice, where are you located?

Senior TGC Member
    San Jose, California
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Jenny
    may i ask why you are running a T3/4 turbo? To my knowledge that turbo doesn't spool very early and if you are only running 4-6psi why use a turbo that takes longer to spool...Why not use like a t25, or a 14b?
    even with the new pistons, i dont see it going over 15psi, unless maybe you have more plans, but unless you are using a ball bearing turbo it just doesnt make sense

also, why take the time to make a custom exhaust manifold when a 4g63t exhaust manifold works? The only thing i could think of is that a t3/4 turbo doesnt bolt up to a dsm manifold, but that goes back to the question of why use a t3/4

so , i guess the question is, are you using a ball bearing turbo, and if not, why a t3/4 on such a low boost application, i must admit though, beautiful looking setup, very clean

Norcal Performance
    Very good questions. Now for an attempt at answering them.

From my daily driving with the kit at 4 psi on the auto. I really didnt experience a horrible amount of lag. Yes it was noticeable, but not unbearable.

We will be boosting much higher....much much higher. We were running only 4 psi for safety reasons. And since, we werent sure of how much boost the stock auto tranny could hold (we'd heard rumors of 250 bhp) we really didnt want to up it too high and have my tranny littering the street behind me.

We feel that the T3/4 combo, gives the best combonation of both streetability and maximum performance. The way we look at it, those who turbocharge there car, they're going to go all out on it. Right? They're not going to leave it at 4 psi. 4 psi is simply a starting point.

We decided to design a custom manifold partly for fitment with the t3/4 turbo.

But yes, it is a low boost application only for the time being. We have big plans for this car....stay tuned

norcal, I hate to Answer for you.. but

for the "lag" question... there's a simple Answer: (in the form of a question)

why would he worry about Turbo-lag? did he have turbo lag before the turbo?

turbo-lag is merely the "lack of power" you experience With low static-compression Turbo motors before the turbo spools to compensate.

since Norcal Didn't lower the compression, There is no turbo lag. the motor runs like it did before the turbo. no big Whoop. if he is feeling turbo lag, it's likely owners perception.

what *I* don't get... maybe norcal can shed some light.. is why wouldn't you use an EVO IV+ turbo? It's pointed in the right direction, and doesn't have to be flipped to Work correctly. or, did you find a properly oriented garret?

one(or a couple) things To take into consideration

t3/t4 is a common Turbo, with respectibly high CFM amounts.
    you have to think.. these guys with hondas And even 4g63's are anywhere from 66-80% The displacment of a 4g64, which means
    running 6psi with a 4g64 is more like running 11Psi in a honda, and probably somewhere around 9psi in a 4g63 air-mass wise.

I would venture to say, That a t3/t4 or larger evo-spec 16G is a *great* turbo for the 4g64.

also.. if you're building a turbo kit, you need to think Ahead; why build the kit with a turbo that has to be upgraded is you decide to upgrade anything else? a 14b would have a hard time keeping up with the 4g64 with more than 12psi (lower limits with lower CR)

and... Well the t25 doesn't even keep up with the 4g63.. so for your sake.. forget the existance of the t25

I, for one, didn't know the stratus used the 4g64.. I thought it was a cryco motor.

Norcal,

Your installation is beautiful, clean and precise.

the price of the kit, however, seems a little steep. if you were to use a stock DSM/EVO manifold($150+ porting Time)/oxygen-sensor housing($165+porting Time), and possibly even an EVO-spec 16G(~$700), you could probably drop the price on the kit by more than $800.

unless, or course, those are tuned runners?

also, did you use the 2k+ eclipse 5-speed tranny?
    did you upgrade The tranny internals? use a ACT 2100?
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

Norcal Performance
    Thanks g96nt for posting those asnwers. Now to answer your questions. We buit this kit to take upgrades to it. We wanted the perfect kit for these cars that can be upgraded without spending alot of cash. As far as the Tranny It is a 2k+ Eclipse tranny and the clutch is a prototype clutch that we are testing for a company that we can't name just yet. As far as how the setup of the turbo configuration. We get our turbos straight from Turbonetics and the built them the way we tell them to so the turbos are to out specs. We can change them if we need to for different applications.

Cliff

Norcal Performance
    Also, the "turbo-lag" I described, was not a loss in power persay, but more like what g96nt said...."driver perception" The "lag" I feel was before any turbo kicks in. So its stock power until about 3300 rpms. Thent he boost kicks in. Not bad for a decent sized turbo like this.

As far as internals...All stock so far. But a full rebuild is planned.

And like you said, the t3/4 is a common turbo and easily accessable. More accessable than the EVO IV

if you're interested, I know of Someone that actually got 1/4 dozen evoIII 16G's
    and Was Able to sell @ a profit for $620

I can Ask if he may be Able To do the Same For the IV... interested?
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

boostin4g64_2jzgte
    well i can vouch for the t3/t4 turbo, since my brother in the islands has costum fabricated evrerything for his pt cruiser,for his 2.4 . right now its still in develpoment stages as the turbo really builds boost at 2800-3000 rpms since its a bigger displaced motor and curently running 6psi with stock injectors, running a tiel wastegate, 250 fuel pump and runs grea with a little tunning, but next is acquring a fuel controller frm apexi and integraing it t the car , and injectors are on the way ,550's, but its a great turbo, and is used allot on dsm's.oh and the clutch is still holding but not for long.

shnazi
    Geetings from Australia , I have the 95 HJ 2.0 ltr V6 galant.....will something like this fit my engine

NOSMAN7G
    Very nice setup Norcal. I was just wondering how much of a diffence are the 7g's and the 8g engines?? Will this setup fit on a 7g?? Thanks

Norcal,

How much for a manual boost cantrol for a turbo
    Team TGCLV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast