The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brakes - performance upgrade

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    creativ73

Brakes - performance upgrade

I see there is a downloadable 2001 manual, but it there one for the 2000 Galant? I want to replace my brake pads because they always squeak when it's cold or rainy. The dealer says it's because of the type of semi-metallic pads. Can I purchase pads that will eliminate squeaking? Are ceramics better? Also, I have a V-6. I am planning on upgrading to a K&N air filter and eventually upgrading the muffler. I want a muffler that improves hp, but doesn't give that high pitched noise that seems o be popular. I prefer a deeper, throatier sound if anything. I don't want to spend a lot on the muffler, maybe $100 if necessary - any recommendations? P.S. This site rocks!!!

Welcome creativ73. You can just use the 2001 Service Manual. '99-'03 is pretty much the same. Only difference with your '00 is you have twin-piston front calipers but brakes are brakes and they are all the same as far as maintenance goes. As for mufflers, do a search by using the "search" function up top and you'll see lots of topics on it.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Since you have a V6, it is unlikely that most mufflers will give you a high pitched sound. As far as the brakes go, I would go with Metal Masters from roadraceengineering.com, they are probably the best overall, but whenever you got with performance pads, you can expect a little more squeaking and more dust with most. Ceramics may be better sound wise, but metallics will give you the best braking power.

-Mohammad

creativ73
    That's good to know about the mufflers and the service manual! Are there any mufflers worth recommending for $100 or less?

I definitely prefer quiet braking over more power braking. My stock brakes have enough power for my standards. It's just the squeaking that bother's me. It sounds like a city bus sometimes!

I used to have a tutorial on the main TGC page on things you can do for getting rid of brake squeal. Anyways, here the link to my page http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/brakes.htm

For under 100 dollars, that is a really easy answer, Magnaflow. Actually, Magnaflow, for 100 dollars, is better than some 200 dollar mufflers. The reason is that Magnaflow is 100% stainless steel while others are only part stainless. Also, with some imported mufflers you pay alot for the name and import costs. Check out roadraceengineering.com and look under 2000+ eclipse parts. I'm not sure how new you are to all of this, but just in case you are pretty green, most of the parts from the eclipse will fit your galant as long as you are looking at the 2000 and up eclipse.

-Mohammad

creativ73
    I'm telling you, this site is rad. Everyone is way cool. I will check out the Magnaflow and probably get it eventually. I am green to uprgrading the performance of my car. Last vehicle I had was a '92 Chevy S10 V6. Other than the the K&N air filter and muffler, is there anything else that would be a realtively inexpensive performance upgrade? By inexpensive, I'm talking $100 or so, I guess.

Skip the K&N and go with a full intake. go to www.wholehyper.com and click monthly specials, third button up from the bottom on the left side, they have a Galant intake by Injen for $125. This is the same intake I have, I like it, it works well, and $125 is a very good price. You will like the intake for the added power at higher speeds and the sound it gives you. Other than that, there are some free mods that you can do, but search for them because they have been covered pretty thoroughly. Look for "clear corners", which is an appearance mod, and on the front page (thegalantcenter.com) on the left there is a link for throttle body adjustment, that one is also free and takes about ten minutes.

-Mohammad

creativ73
    Would the full intake be difficult to install? I am not familiar with what that is exactly. From what I've seen it looks like an extended pipe with some type of filter on the end that is more exposed to fresh air??

Quote Originally Posted by creativ73
    Would the full intake be difficult to install? I am not familiar with what that is exactly. From what I've seen it looks like an extended pipe with some type of filter on the end that is more exposed to fresh air??
    a full intake shouldn't be hard to install. it installs with some simple hand tools. the oem intake will be harder to remove than installing the new intake but the oem intake isn't that hard to remove...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Removal:

Intake hose: 2 10mm hose clamps, one at the TB and the other at the MAS/Stock airbox. (on the V6, under the intake hose, there might be a hangar that suspends the fuel lines)
    Stock airbox: 2-3 bolts on the inside-bottom that bolts to car body.
    Front air scoop: 2 plastic clips that release by pressing the middle down and pulling both clips out.
    MAS connected to the stock airbox: 4 nuts
    Optional: Wire Harness on MAS (unclip to give you more room to work)

creativ73
    That'll be an easy install. I have 195 hp now. What kind of hp can I expect to get with cold air intake and a magnaflow muffler? Would it be worth the $400 to get a chip too?

Quote Originally Posted by creativ73
    That'll be an easy install. I have 195 hp now. What kind of hp can I expect to get with cold air intake and a magnaflow muffler? Would it be worth the $400 to get a chip too?
    i see 10 hp tops for intake and exhaust. but the numbers will vary from car to car.

as for the chip, not worth it now. ur not gonna see gains in power, mostly inprove ur shifting thats about it. not worth 400 since its based on ur mods and has to be reporgrammed everytime u mod ur car.. u can get other thigns like a downpipe or something to get more hp

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

ucool80
    The intake on that wholesale website(http://www.wholehyper.com/specials.html) is for a 99-00 Galant V6 would it fit on a 01 Galant V6 as well?

Yeah it will fit no problem.

-Mohammad