The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g galant sluggish

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

7g galant sluggish

I just picked up a 1994 Galant with a SOHC 2.4 (4g63?64?). Forgive me, I don't know the letters and numbers 100%. Anyway..the car won't pull a wet noodle out of a cat's a$$ when you start off from a start, but as the rpm's rise it will pick up and go. It's had a tune up as far as I was told. Has new wires and plugs and he changed te trans filter and fluid. Have a MIL too and when I ground the #1 pin the light constantly flashes, so I can't get a code.Any help on fixing this thing??

2.4L is 4G64 while 2L is 4G63.

Could be ignition timing too far retarded, or perhaps the cambelt has slipped a tooth. Does it run rough when idling or does it idle smooth as? How's the fuel consumption, about average? What about the air filter, is it clean or blocked up? How many miles on the clock? There are alot of factors which could be contributing to this

Fuel...thanks for the reply. The air filter is new. The previous owner left it out when he did the tune up so I installed one. Checked the Mass Air and it was clean also. The car has 224k on it. The idle acts up a little. It idles at about 950 with the air off, but every couple of seconds you can hear it drop out a little and come back. Doesn't sputter or act like it's going to cut off. Just drops the rpms for a spilt second. I've adjusted the tps some and the idle adjustment screw is all the way in at this point. My plan this evening is to check the tps voltage. The old owner replaced it, but it looks like it was from a junkyard. The timing belt looks to be n good shape on first inspection, but I realize I have to take it off to really tell if it is bad. I did notice that the timing belt walks a little when the engine is revved. but it goes right back.

Check your fuel injectors. They are most likely dirty, or stuck open. That would cause one cylinder to run rich and cause the RPM fluctuation you mentioned. I had that problem when i put the new motor in my car; one of the injectors that it included sticks in the open position, causing power loss and a unstable idle.

A way to test it is while it is idling, open the hood and unplug one injector at a time. If the idle remains steady for a few seconds (of course, this will cause a dead cylinder after a moment) then that injector is your problem.

When you figure out which one it is, turn off the engine. Then release the pressure from the fuel system and swap the injector. Then turn the key to the "on" position for a few seconds to re pressurize the system, and start the car.

I hope that helps!

Heck, I'll give it a shot frag...Lord knows I've had plenty of injector swapping time since I work on Mustangs alot. Just not as familiar with these Mitsubishi's. Gotta do a timing check anyway, so I'll just try that at the same time.

if its auto...there is your other problem. At 224k on the odo...no telling when or if the trans was ever changed. The auto is a bitch on these cars...so keep an eye out on it

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You reckon? I've seen plenty of Mitsi autos which have seen 300,000kms + without problems. When a Mitsi auto fails, they usually loose reverse or a forward gear, or just loose all gears altogether. Although it could be the transmission is stuck in failsafe mode - I had this happen on my 5th gen Galant, a sensor was acting up and the ECU put the transmission into failsafe and locked it into 3rd gear. It was extremely sluggish off the mark but once up to speed it was alright. Check that the transmission is going through the gears (you should hear/feel at least three changes in gear ratio when you take off from a standstill up to say 60mph with OD on).

Hope that helps.

Japan (nor did New Zealand) got the 4G64 in their 7th gen Galants so I can't say I'm familiar with their setup. I've worked on plenty of V6 6A12, 4G93 and 4G63 7th gen Galants though.

Well the car shut off on my girlfriend this morning, when I went to check it out, one of the rocker shaft springs had come off. it got crimped by the spring and a couple ears broke off and went into the oiling system. Does anyone know where I can get one of the springs? Its the clip style not the coil type.

if a valve spring popped off and the car died, chances are there is a bigger problem than the spring itself