The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Test n Tune stock GTZ

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Test n Tune stock GTZ

I ran at our local tracks 1 st test n tune. It made it to 61 degree with some cross winds which was awesome for this time of year here in Cincy. The car ran well. It's a stock 2003 V6 GTZ with its best track time today being identical. This car would be good to bracket race,lol. I wish I could disable the traction control :(.
    So to compare, my buddies 2004 Ram 5.7 Hemi ran best 15.9@86 w/ after market exhaust and my brothers 89 mustang Gt AOD w/ after market exhaust when he had it ran the best of 16.0@86. I was hoping for a 15 but I was .2 seconds faster than I expected.

Run 4
    60' 2.435
    1/8 10.423
    1/4 16.086
    MPH 86.67

Run 5
    60' 2.415
    1/8 10.403
    1/4 16.086
    MPH 86.63

WarmAndSCSI
    These are actually really good times for a Cali-spec GTZ. Decent 60' times, nice runs!

To put things in perspective, I was running a 16.1 at altitude (4500 feet) when I was making 205 WHP.

those seem about right. how much gas did you have in the car?

i went to the track with a V6 8G and his were a little slower due to a full tank

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

WarmAndSCSI
    ... You do realize altitude, temperature, and the launch (affected by track prep and surface as well) play MUCH more of a part in quarter mile times than the extra 75 lb or so from a full tank of gas, right? It wasn't the gas that made the car slower. You may see a tenth or a little over a tenth difference from that... but you see that much if you just SLIGHTLY screw up the launch. Your rear suspension would have to be really pathetic for 75 lb to make a difference on your launch as well. It's simply negligible unless your friend driving that V6 is a professional driver.
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 03-02-2008 at 06:18 PM

it was actually 2 tenths off, it's not a big diffrence but it could be the diffrence between low 16's and high 15's. i'm not saying it's it negligible but it can make the diffrence with old worn out stock springs. there are so many other things that can mess up you time but if you can keep another 70-75 pounds out wouldn't you?

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

WarmAndSCSI
    Actually, my fuel system doesn't like running low on fuel and that small amount of weight paired up with the power I like to make doesn't even matter. I just leave it full.

You don't lose 2 tenths from a full tank of gas. It was the track, weather/altitude, or the driver.

Good #s. Thats about what I expect when I go to the track this summer.

dbl post
    Last edited by pkfire; 03-02-2008 at 08:14 PM

500' above sea level is where this track is. Redgalant2k1 is anything done to your car?
    My car weighed 3380 with me in btw.

I started with a 1/4 and ended with an 1/8 of a tank of 93.

Track surface was great but this car has hardly any acceleration off the line but great midrange. Also I'm not a fan of all the time Traction control. Is there way to turn this off?

WarmAndSCSI
    HSTC won't affect your gas mileage at all. If you're already flooring it at every stop light, then you might see a slight decrease.

Pull the fuse? I'm sure somebody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by pkfire View Post
    500' above sea level is where this track is. Redgalant2k1 is anything done to your car?
    My car weighed 3380 with me in btw.

I started with a 1/4 and ended with an 1/8 of a tank of 93.

Track surface was great but this car has hardly any acceleration off the line but great midrange. Also I'm not a fan of all the time Traction control. Is there way to turn this off?
    My GTZ is stock engine and trans.

The only way to "Turn off" traction control is pull the fuse. Btw, this will also disable your ABS, not that big a deal though.

I'll break down my runs a bit more

16.413@85- full weight 30-32 psi all tires. Just got to track after 45 minute drive Redline shifts
    16.41X@85- right after first run- Same as above Redline shift
    [email protected] spare, jack, air filter and floor mats out shifted it at 6000 rpm
    16.086- 15min cool down 55psi rear tires 45psi front tires,6000 rpm shifts took off my watch
    16.086- right after last runsame as above 6000rpm- gave wife the wallet,lol
    I wanted to let my buddy drive it because I'm another 70lbs above what he weighs. The weight does affect these cars quite a bit. I believe he could of got a 15.99 out of it.

This car was very consistant. I asked my wife before I raced it what she think it would run and she said 16.2. She's been around me too long.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    My GTZ is stock engine and trans.

The only way to "Turn off" traction control is pull the fuse. Btw, this will also disable your ABS, not that big a deal though.
    I was going to do this but I decided not to fool with it, maybe next time.

WarmAndSCSI
    I have no idea how you managed decent 60' times with 45 PSI up front. Maybe you meant 25? 55 out back is pretty much near maximum inflation pressure (which is good) but the 45 out front would get you terrible traction. You're effectively turning your front tires into spare donuts at that kind of pressure. It's all about the contact patch.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    I have no idea how you managed decent 60' times with 45 PSI up front. Maybe you meant 25? 55 out back is pretty much near maximum inflation pressure (which is good) but the 45 out front would get you terrible traction. You're effectively turning your front tires into spare donuts at that kind of pressure. It's all about the contact patch.
    Well the thing is they decided to spray the track with the traction compound. My car wasn't spinning at all so I decided that I could reduce the rotational drag by upping the psi. If the track was open another 15 minutes I was going up the tires in the front to 55psi.
    To answer your question.. Yes I had the fronts at 45psi.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Good #s. Thats about what I expect when I go to the track this summer.

Which wheels are you going to run with? BTW do you have two Galants?