The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6a12TT Tuning

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

6a12TT Tuning

Hi Guys,

I've got a Galant Sports GT 6a12 Twin Turbo and have recently fitted a manual boost controller. The boost will not go past 0.9 bar and I don't understand why??? :cry:

I was thinking it could be

- Fuel pump? - do I need a walbro?
    - ECU restricting? - do I need a remap or some kind of data cable/software so I can remap it myself?

I'm Looking for around 300bhp, car has standard everything except the CAT has been gutted, I have an intercooler from an Evo 5 going in shortly

I've searched the forum high and low and just can't find any articles on how to tune the 6a12TT, could you point me in the right direction or post some help please?
    8)

Thanks

Mike

Good luck...no one here in the states has that engine! We are oh so unfortunate!

Check here too...
    www.mitsubishiforums.com

they have a big international group 8)

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

TGC Regular
    Well, I own one and I'm in NZ :D

Not all thoes articles are accurate btw...

Now as for your problem, what kind of boost controller are you running?

Where is it tapped into the boost line ?

Mine is able to boost up over 1 bar with no problems on stock fueling.
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp

Considering I wrote most of that enlighten me what bits I got wrong kayne :)

Reason you cant raise boost is the stock BOV - it leaks at around 12psi. Even just a late model evo one will hold boost and go straight in place of your factory one.

I've had 5 of the TT VR4's now (and counting :oops: ), last one was the single turbo one. Currently working on a friends one, will be having twin TD04's, big fuelling etc, greddy e-manage ecu, should be a good way to find the limits of the motor.
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

TGC Regular
    I said accurate Mark, not wrong...

I was freeboosting on my stock BOV at 1.3bar when my boost controller decided to pack a sad no problems at all.

You should know as well as anyone by now there are subtle differences between all of the 7g VR-4's, what works for one doesn't always work for another. :D

There is a black VR-4 now owned by a good friend of mine, and for some reason, even with all the same adjustments and tinkering, his car is still slower than mine, he has far better suspension, newer clutch and fresh plugs, but it's still laggy in comparison.

However you are by far the only person I know who knows the most about these cars.

I heard about the 7g getting the TD04's, how is it going ? I hear it's running ?

Interesting replies guy's, does this engine have a boost control solonoid somewhere that needs removing when fitting a manual boost controller and which lines do you fit the controller into.? Any pics of a controller fitted would be a great help.

On a different subject I remember someone saying they thought the GTO turbos would fit straight onto the 6A12 engine, I have been told by a reputable tuning company that they will fit but need a adapter flange. So if anyone is thinking of going down that road let me know and I'll send you a link to their web site.

Also, do the downpipes have to be made or will the gto ones do? do you have a link to a trader that makes them?

Cheers Mike

Just to let everyone know I have now fitted the evo 5 intercooler and the Bov from an evo 5, GOD ALMIGHTY !!! I had to turn the controller down to a sedate 1.25 bar. At the moment these are the only mods and she is into another league performance wise, just goes to show what you can do for little money and two day's of frustrating, back breaking, knuckle splitting, rage inducing, £$%"&*^ing cars. These cars are so well made and put together that taking them apart is NOT easy so unless you are prepared to endure the above DON'T try fitting an evo 5 intercooler....... although the end result is smile inducing. The intercooler and Bov came from my son's evo 5 RS which he is in the process of fitting a 2.3 strockered engine to, along with a monstrous GT 30/76R turbo running 2.2 bar which equates to around 550BHP at the wheels!!!!!!! So mine at around 280BHP is slow in comparison, plans for the future include a brake upgrade, induction mod's (keeping the box and changing the filter with more cold air feeds) and a back box, that should see me pushing around the 300BHP mark which is fine for me.
    Mike

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeli
    Interesting replies guy's, does this engine have a boost control solonoid somewhere that needs removing when fitting a manual boost controller and which lines do you fit the controller into.? Any pics of a controller fitted would be a great help.

On a different subject I remember someone saying they thought the GTO turbos would fit straight onto the 6A12 engine, I have been told by a reputable tuning company that they will fit but need a adapter flange. So if anyone is thinking of going down that road let me know and I'll send you a link to their web site.

Also, do the downpipes have to be made or will the gto ones do? do you have a link to a trader that makes them?

Cheers Mike
    You don't have to remove a boost solonoid when you put the boost controller on. For some reason, some of them spike like mad and otehrs are fine.

The GTO turbo's won't bolt straight on, it's actually a rather huge job. you'll need to have an adapter flange and custom downpipes made.
    and I'd lower the boost if you are putting the TD04's on to it, thats a hell of a lot more airflow than the stock TD025's.
    You may have to attack the fire wall with a hammer to fit the TD04's in, as they are a tad bit larger than the stock ones. However, if you thought it was a completely different car with just up rated boost and the evo cooler (I have an evo 8 one on mine) just wait till you feel the power from twin TD04's :D (You may notice a bit of lag though, compared to the TD025's).