• All Red

3 7.32%
  • Red for 2g / Black for 7g

12 29.27%

Thread: Engine swap under way

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 145
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Fuel issue has been solved. Last crank effort i could here the injectors spraying, and the fuel pump was on, but still no spark anywhere. Current status; engine harness is pulled again plan on tracing every wire to make sure everything is getting a connection.

So close, yet so far away.

wow.... whole harness huh.

I'd of just checked anything ignition related. before i did all that.

your fuel pump goes on because you bipassed everything right... so it goes on before your CAS even picks up a signal.
    so you can't assume that you are getting a crank signal.

When you said your injectors are spraying.... i've never heard mine and they are HUGE.
    what i can do is put my fingers on them while the motor is running and i can feel them pulse open and closed.

if in fact your injectors are pulsing... then you can assume that you are gettign a crank signal to the ecu... which would lead you to checking ignition components themselves.

i'd go in this order..... coil packs. make sure they are getting power, and that they check out resitance wise.
    then check that your ignition transitor pack is wired properly, and of course verify that it is correctly functioning.

after that i'd start looking at your harness and checking it for continuity.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

took the transistor pack to my cousins house and plugged it into her 2g. (did that sunday past.) Her car started and ran fine. Another reason for pulling the harness was i didn't like the way it had to be ran. Looked like a jarbled mess hanging out over the tranny. plus i didn't feel 100% comfortable with some of the sodering jobs i did.

as for the injectors. i had a low battery, 1. 2, I fooled around and changed the 1st injector to one of the old galant injectors before i read that it had to be 450 cc or the ECU wouldn't spray. so when i tried to start the car, it had a slow crank and could hear pst, pst, pst, x, pst, pst, pst, x. i just assumed it was the injectors and the non spray was the old galant injector. also after taking off the valve cover i could smell the gas.

I'm also missing an engine speed sensor, not to be confused with vehicle speed sensor. As for the coil pack connector there are three wires, one of which comes from the ESS (blu/red i believe) the other two are Blu/blk (from the transistor pack) and a ground (which goes through the internal wiring) but what is wierd is for the ESS two wires connect into one terminal... not sure what's up with that.

engine speed sensor?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I think i figured out what's wrong, but am too afraid of looking stupid to say....

Yeah, looks good bro.

Im gonna do some similar to what youve done. Ill convert my 94 OBD1 Galant to Obd2. I have the harness already, just need the timing plate behind the crank sprocket. Even better, I found out that some of the 97 Galants do not have emissions components - EGR, canister, solenoids, so I might get one of these harnesses. These days Ive been working with some machine shop to fabricate an adapter so I can use the distributor on the DOHC head. I think I dont need to go with 2G ECU and coil packs for now, which will cost me a lot more than fabricating an adaptor.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post
    I think i figured out what's wrong, but am too afraid of looking stupid to say....

Dude...considering what you have done and accomplished, I think we'll cut you some slack. We all make mistakes...even simple obvious ones.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Dude...considering what you have done and accomplished, I think we'll cut you some slack. We all make mistakes...even simple obvious ones.
    ... i have a feeling the timing belt is skipping. when i took the engine harness out i noticed the CAS and cam sprockets were in the same position when i put the CAS in after i hard wired it.. i was like "Hmm that should be easy to remember..." Then i read somw hwere about changing the timing belt and tensioner... and was like" that's kind of a far fetched coincidence" so now i'm thinking i might have tightened the cam bolts too tight, and the belt tensioner wasn't tight enough.

Thing is, i'm doing this by myself, so from the driver seat, IF the belt is skipping, it looks like it's turning. will find out this week. I'm off wed and thursday. so i plan to get this resolved within that time frame.

if the cambelt is skipping it will not open/close the valves in time (obviously) so it wont hold compression when it should be - result will be the motor turning over really easily, as if you have the spark plugs out. Did you turn the engine over a few times by hand after you fitted the new belt and tensioner, and checked for tightness/too much slack etc?

cross fingers it hasn't bent valves.

Blue Ice remains "frozen" in it's dormant state due to a "what i've diagnosed as" a bad CAS. After doing a volt check, it's not acting right. Sucky thing is about a month ago when i went to the JY i saw a 1g DOHC still intact, w/ CAS and i didn't have the tools for it. (that's when i thought it was a fuel pump relay issue and all i was looking for was the wire harness)

too bad 1g CAS are $300+ from the local parts store. Not really sure if i want to trust Ebay. I have a feeling a new CAS will also fix the fuel pump problem.

try hyundai CAS. Some have 6 bolt N/A. I bet will be cheaper at the hyundai dealer as well

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    If you have no luck within the next week or so Lawrence...I will see if I can get you a 1g CAS for you.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

thanks Kev, i'm gonna try to check this week a couple more places, if not i can get one on ebay or something.

Had a guy that's into 1g's stop by today to take a look at all that i've done. He was telling me about all the emissions stuff i could/should eliminate. We don't even have emission test around here, so i was wondering what you guys thought about eliminating the emissions stuff. i know it could clear up the engine bay a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    try hyundai CAS. Some have 6 bolt N/A. I bet will be cheaper at the hyundai dealer as well
    what year and model?

looking good Blue Ice keep it man man and never quit!!! 8)
    If you don't got the pocket, then don't try and rock it

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post
    what year and model?
    I know 95-00 Elantras come with 6 bolt n/a 4g63, cuz I got my 60mm tb and cai off that car, and its adjustable as well

Build Thread

ok, rediagnosed the problem after pulling the harness again.
    (i'm getting so good at this it's only taking me about 10 min to do so)

anyway, i used an ohm tester to check every wire to make sure it's running completely through and finally decided to look into the fus box in the engine compartment....

only to see that the 15amp fuse labeled ECS was empty...
    {not sure when that happened.}

please cross your fingers i plan on putting the harnes back in tomorrow and seeing if this works.

then the next thing i'll need is the name of the brand of Man Boost Cont. that Kev recently got for his G

Nice work man, keep at it, we wanna see this beast fired up and going down the road!
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

ok so looked under the hood again to find that there is not a wire hooked up to the ECS fuse, but looked at the origianal 94 harness i pulled to see that there is a Red?blue wire coming from the fuse box connector that eventually runs to a BLK / Red wire. Blk/Red is seen as power in almost every connection it's in

Kev has a Lower Shores Performance MBC. I also picked up one after hearing from him and reading the reviews on a VR4 forum.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlow...es_performance

Keep up the good work Blue Ice.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast