The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: last 4G63 topic...

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

last 4G63 topic...

ok, so i'm not getting many replies so startin' up another thread, last one bout this...

does the stock(upgraded of course) auto tranny on an 8g bolt up to a 4g63t without any upfront or future problems?

and, realistically, is the swap even possible for me? i'm almost 16 and don't know a lot about what's under the hood, so i would most likely be having a shop do it or i could possibly get a cousin to help. but is this whole thing even possible with about $4k, and my lack of mechanical knowledge? i found the engine for $1500, but probably needs rebuilding, and i don't know what else needs upgrading, or what comes with this engine. so should i just forget it and stick to styling, or what...

anyone with any opinions/feedback on this, please help. thanks.
    '03
    rockin' the DE

The motor you found is the WRONG motor. You need the 4G63T from the EVO 4 to EVO 9.

You cant use DSM 4G63T's because they are on the wrong side of the engine bay. You also cant use Galant VR-4 4G63T's cause of the same problem.

Now, that thats outta the way. Finding a EVO 4G63T and installing it for under 4K is one in a billion. The motor itself should cost you 4K.

If you did the swap yourself, you can get away with 6K on the build without upgrading anything. I doubt you'll get away with it though.

Tha auto on the 8G should bolt-up. I know Spicy from TGCNY has a auto evoswapped 8G. The bellhousing bolt pattern are the same to the EVO tranny and the 3G Eclipse tranny so the auto from the 8G should bolt up. I doubt the tranny will hold that long without rebuilding and toughening it though.

Also, there has been SEVERAL posts about this swap floating around TGC and Club3G. Use the search button and the power of the internet to increase your knowledge.

i'm almost 16 and don't know a lot about what's under the hood
    I do not advise you to try this swap. Its a complicated swap for the average car-guy, more so for the young and just getting started one.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    The motor you found is the WRONG motor. You need the 4G63T from the EVO 4 to EVO 9.

You cant use DSM 4G63T's because they are on the wrong side of the engine bay. You also cant use Galant VR-4 4G63T's cause of the same problem.

Now, that thats outta the way. Finding a EVO 4G63T and installing it for under 4K is one in a billion. The motor itself should cost you 4K.

If you did the swap yourself, you can get away with 6K on the build without upgrading anything. I doubt you'll get away with it though.

Tha auto on the 8G should bolt-up. I know Spicy from TGCNY has a auto evoswapped 8G. The bellhousing bolt pattern are the same to the EVO tranny and the 3G Eclipse tranny so the auto from the 8G should bolt up. I doubt the tranny will hold that long without rebuilding and toughening it though.

Also, there has been SEVERAL posts about this swap floating around TGC and Club3G. Use the search button and the power of the internet to increase your knowledge.

i'm almost 16 and don't know a lot about what's under the hood
    I do not advise you to try this swap. Its a complicated swap for the average car-guy, more so for the young and just getting started one.
    Dam you've said everything i wanted to.

Man i'm tired of saying this... SEARCH!!!!
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

in his other post, he said he found an Evo 7 4g63, which can be used for us. I think the motor mounts line up but you would have to ask Brian (stewi) since he also has an evo 7 motor. That said, its hard as hell to find Evo 7 parts unless you speak Japanese. What are you gonna do if something breaks in your motor?

i found an evo 9 yesterday that was salvaged and being parted out and i'm gonna call on the motor, just to see the price...and yes i did find the correct motor.

and i did search and pm cali and i didn't find anything in the forums about a price estimate and cali didn't pm me back yet. so i just wanted to know. thanks for the input guys.

so basically, it would just be easier to turbo?
    '03
    rockin' the DE

keep the head, ditch the block, and run a built 2.4 bottom end

4g64 ftw

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    I dont know if it can be done, but can we use the Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonota engines. Its the same block with the an Evo head. They got a couple on ebay.

the evo 9 was 5500 w/ ecu and everything else but the tranny... :(
    '03
    rockin' the DE

I just hope you kinda understand what you are getting yourself into. 5500 is alot for a stock evo motor with ecu. Find a head and get build a 2.4L block with an evo8 ecu.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

how much would that run me?

yeah, i've kinda realized how big of a job that would be so i'm gonna give up on that for now...
    '03
    rockin' the DE

Just get the head build the block be easier then doing the whole swap.

so just get the evo 4-9 head and build up my 4G64 block? how much would that run me?
    '03
    rockin' the DE