The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help me ....Battery slip and A/C contact , equal bad day

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Help me ....Battery slip and A/C contact , equal bad day

changed the battery and as i tightend the + the wrench slipped and made contact with the high pressure AC line ,sparks flew ,a little puncture hole was made from the contact voltage and then it just started spraying freon and i couldnt do anything but watch it ALL spray out empty , gonna need a new line but when i go to autobarn to pick up that r134 kit how much of it do i need ...and whats the right amount of pressure to fill it up too.... hopefully the 97 galant is r134 or would it not matter since all the freon in it has gone so its like a fresh flush

any other problems i should worry about like did the compressor get damaged or anything as it leaked and no longer sealed or will everything be fine once i put the new line in and refill the freon?

just read about evacuating ..once i put the new line in do i have to evacuate the system or could i just start adding the r134?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    All cars 94 and up are equipped with R134 a/c systems...so yes, your 97 is R134.

Evacuating the system usually is done when you need to remove the refrigerant in the system prior to replacing any a/c part. As stated when the hole was formed and all your refrigerant was released..you technically evacuated the system.

Replace the damaged hose and the proper way is the get the a/c system pressure tested first so see if there is any leaks in the system. Not sure what the service spec pressure on the 7g...but if you take it to a place that does a/c work, they should know if they have the right equipment.

The compressor shouldn't be coming on if you try to turn it on now...there is a pressure sensor in the a/c system, and if there isn't pressure or too low of refrigerant, the comrpessor will not turn over. So don't freak out if it doesn't turn on now...you don't have any refrigerant in your system now, VERY little if any.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

thanks about the evacuate , i prolly would have brought it in shop and ask for evacuation when its already done and they would have charged me a couple hundred

this may be wishful thinking on my part ,but i hope all cars have same amount of freon used in them , i remember using this r134 recharge on another car long ago and the gauge has levels on it low,fill,alert and it wasnt car specific so i guess it was universal....now looking at options the first link below is a kit to switch from r12 to r134 so in essence they need to give you all the r134 you need since your taking out r12 ,that said they show a can with 12oz in it so in the second link the r134 kit has same amount ,so all i should do is fill it up till its in the fill zone on gauge

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-fjc2530.html

http://www.autobarn.net/inrcosekit.html