The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: someone post brake setup please

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    8G_GTZ

someone post brake setup please

I want to know the correct way that the slots in the rotors are SUPPOSED to face. I have seen them face both directions. Mine are coming in this week and I don't want to put them on for people to tell me they are backwards.

Steve

They should be labeled left and right.

different companies have different ways their slots are supposed to face. I know Brembo and Powerslot have the lines facing away from the caliper. Other brands have their slots facing toward the caliper. But they should be labeled L + R anyway

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    different companies have different ways their slots are supposed to face....
    exactly

i have cross drilled,, and they sit like "digging into" the caliper... they were labeled that way,, most ive seen have the slot and or holes set up this way....

found this pic on another thread here and the rotors sit the same direction..

Mine werent labeled so i just went and looked at a mercedes and porsche and did it their way...mine is opposite of cencee. I had them cencee's way but then my friends said that was wrong and thats what made me look at the MB and Porsche. To me either way did a good job stopping.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    Mine werent labeled so i just went and looked at a mercedes and porsche and did it their way...mine is opposite of cencee. I had them cencee's way but then my friends said that was wrong and thats what made me look at the MB and Porsche. To me either way did a good job stopping.
    It's not the outside that really matters. Maybe you didn't feel the difference, but if the INNER vains are facing into the wrong direction, that makes hard for the gases to exit. You should follow the instructions of the particular manufacturer, and not what you see on other cars.

the way censee has it is the right way, that helps the rotor stay cooler, the lines are going towards the air, u get it, lik its "catching" the air per say...i have mine opposite because i dont really like the way they look faceing the rotor but there backwards, depending on the company likeqtx said, ask the seller when u get them

now no one take this the wrong way but comments concerning race brake setups should be left to those who race. anyone who knows real automotive competition knows that brakes are a pivital aspect of a competition vehicle. that said most brake systems under a grand are geared to look a cetain way and not perform. so when it comes to installing them the advice given before should be duely noted as correct.... as the manufacturer intended. some companies like dba and how the old AEM brakes were made face away from the caliper like mine

but others like what censee posted face towards the caliper. race brakes, which are mostly two piece rotor setups, have a particular function as the vanes in the rotor draw air in and send the heat to the aluminum hat which then helps disapate the heat by absorbing it. if you notice most one piece rotors have pillar vanes which work no matter how you have the slots pointed as the pillars move the air universally instead of directing it therefore send the heat away from the center.
    but all in all slotted rotors ftw. drilled rotors are never used in competition as they crack under the extreme usage and rapid heat cycles.

WarmAndSCSI
    On high-quality rotors, the vanes should oppose the slots for greater strength. Usually, the slots face the caliper and the vanes face away from the caliper, directing heat away from the caliper.