The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brake issues

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Brake issues

I noticed this morning that my car seemed like it wasn't too far from being metal on metal. So i jsut took it to Monroe Muffler/Brake and Service and they said that i needed pads, and that the wheel cylinders were leaking. So i have decided that i am going to replace the pads. no big deal. But the wheel cylinder that is the question. Where can i pick one up? and is it sumtin that i can do? and roughly how much money am i looking at for the part.

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Have you checked your local auto parts store? Give them a ring. Couldn't be more than $20 each... as for the install, I'm pretty sure you could do it yourself
    ~Lady Driven~

well that is better than 644.46. I could not believe how much they charge for this shit.

I'm pretty sure it takes a few hours to complete, labor rates suck, but just wait a bit until a few more experienced members contribute their input.
    ~Lady Driven~

well right now all can afford is to change the pads. Monroe said that they would not change the front pads unless they could replace the wheel cylinders. I told the asshole i just wanted to get it on the road and that i did not want to go metal on metal

Just because it's your brakes and for your safety... I would consider doing everything at once. But if it's not that bad, I wouldn't ride too much longer on them.
    ~Lady Driven~

Rebuild kits are available for most cars, look them up, I don't know where to get them but I do know they're available!

When they say wheel cylinders, they're talking about your drums in the back. Rebuilding the cylinders will be cheaper if you have the tools to do it, replacing them is quicker, but slightly more expensive.

It's not at all a difficult task, if you can bleed your brakes you can do this job. PB blaster is your friend.

$20 seems cheap, you might spend $50, you might not. When you bleed your brakes, bleed all of them (unless the shop already did it) with NEW fluid, DOT 3, preferrably DOT 4, which has a higher boiling point. (Worth the money IMO)

Good luck! If you've got any more questions, ask them. Brakes aren't something you want to fook up. 8)
    1996 Galant S

when you say wheel cylinders, you mean the pistons in the calipers right? not the axles? you can buy refurbished calipers for like $150 each, or you can go with a caliper seal kit. those are like $30

Aaron, the wheel cylinders are used in the drums to push out the shoes. 7G = Drums =P (unless it's a GS or swapped, blahda blahda...!)
    1996 Galant S

The wheel cylinder is the part inside the drums... I think has two little thingies on it, one on each side.... I'd say no more than $30 for each one, but what do I know, lol
    ~Lady Driven~

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    wheel cylinders are cheap and the labor isnt what they say it is. It takes a skilled tech no more than 20 minutes to do each side, and the novice 30 minutes for each side.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galantracer97
    well right now all can afford is to change the pads. Monroe said that they would not change the front pads unless they could replace the wheel cylinders. I told the asshole i just wanted to get it on the road and that i did not want to go metal on metal
    So tell Monro to go blow a dick and that youll be taking your business elsewhere. PLain and simple. Its none of their damn business what you want and dont want repaired. They have no right to refuse to do work for you just because you dont want it done their way. Assholes. Ill never take my car to a Monro shop again. :x

I know i was pissed.

If you don't want to do the job yourself (i is not that difficult), try another shop. Years ago I picked up an 1988 Mitz Tredia that was in rough shape; needed brakes before I could even drive it home. I hit a brake shop and they quoted me $350 or so for just the front brakes saying everything needed to be replaced; pads, rotors, calipers, etc. I knew it had never had its rotors turned so told them to just put the pads on. They said they would not do it. I told them to just put it back together. I drove around the corner and pulled into another shop. They said the rotors were fine and wanted $150 or so to do all four wheels. jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

When will these shops stop trying to scare people into buying stuff they don't need. Most auto repair shops might as well be car dealers too, they do the same exact thing. "Well, you need the 500 dollar undercoat because you're car will be a pile of rust before it's 3 years old" or "You need the entire thing done at once or else you'll die"