The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: VR4 - twin turbo to single big turbo

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    LeeUK VR4

VR4 - twin turbo to single big turbo

would this increase bhp using a single big turbo, anyone done this and is it $$$$$$$

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I know going to just one big turbo would save u weight on increase power.. There is a guy that i know from Team ECI, out here in FLorida who did it on his TT Supra.. now he is just running a big T68 Titanium Ball bearing, and he said that there is not as much turbo lag now than there was when he had the 2 turbos.. it shouldnt be that much jus to run one big turbine.. just removing parts, and probably custom fab somethings.. i will have to look into it more..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

the problem you have with this, is that you have 2 seperate cylinder banks, unlike the supras that have one long One

for Them, even Their "twin turbo" seyup, isn't Really a twin-turbo.. it's more of a "two turbos in a line" setup

anyways.. you have 3 exhaust ports on the front, and 3 on the back.

you'd *SOMEHOW* have to bring The two to a common Spot, to feed the turbo.. and then.. yes, you could go single-turbo.

(it would be ugly, like a WRX, and you'd have tons of lag..and, you'd have to place the turbo in an ackward place.

you're best bet, is to go with twin turbos that are larger Than the Stockers

like maybe twin EVOIII 16G's
    each flows beyond 500CFM, and properly ported Will be *fun*

which, is just as well as one single turbo blowing 1000CFM (usually cooler Air, too)

bottom line.. it's easier to stay bi-turbo/twin turbo..(usually cheaper, too)

and, a 16G will hold beyond 20Psi wich should bring your vr4 upwards of 800HP With the appropriate mods.

(being Somewhat optimistic)
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g96nt
    the problem you have with this, is that you have 2 seperate cylinder banks, unlike the supras that have one long One

for Them, even Their "twin turbo" seyup, isn't Really a twin-turbo.. it's more of a "two turbos in a line" setup

anyways.. you have 3 exhaust ports on the front, and 3 on the back.

you'd *SOMEHOW* have to bring The two to a common Spot, to feed the turbo.. and then.. yes, you could go single-turbo.

(it would be ugly, like a WRX, and you'd have tons of lag..and, you'd have to place the turbo in an ackward place.

you're best bet, is to go with twin turbos that are larger Than the Stockers

like maybe twin EVOIII 16G's
    each flows beyond 500CFM, and properly ported Will be *fun*

which, is just as well as one single turbo blowing 1000CFM (usually cooler Air, too)

bottom line.. it's easier to stay bi-turbo/twin turbo..(usually cheaper, too)

and, a 16G will hold beyond 20Psi wich should bring your vr4 upwards of 800HP With the appropriate mods.

(being Somewhat optimistic)
    Now thats interesting, just run bigger turbos.. do u think the vr-4 even with proper mods could hold the 800hp, i know gettin traction will a bitch and a half..?
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

well, From What I understand, the vr4 uses 3si drivetrain, Which has been known to hold Much more than 800HP (1000+HP 3kgt's are out there

not to mention the Stress on the drivetrain is significantly less, due to a lighter body.

power:weight.....Pwn3s

and, yeah
    I'd imagine proper tuning Would throw That vr4 well into the 800's

we're apeaking To the MIVEC GDI 2.5L TT, right?

DSM's Are known to create *much* more than 125HP/cylinder
    in a 3L, that Would be An easy 800HP

in a 2.5L, that would be attained by the (much) higher RPM's And more Aggressive heads/cams/ecu

but, don't think for a second it's *easy*...
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

RichardB
    Lee,
    Why not look at staying with 2 turbo`s but having a small one and a large one therefore reducing lag as the small one will spin up quickly and increasing power from the larger one. After all its still a single point of entry on the VR4 so it shouldn`t be a problem.

Thats what Im going to be looking into once Ive finally dropped the 6A12TT into the FTO

boostin4g64_2jzgte
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know going to just one big turbo would save u weight on increase power.. There is a guy that i know from Team ECI, out here in FLorida who did it on his TT Supra.. now he is just running a big T68 Titanium Ball bearing, and he said that there is not as much turbo lag now than there was when he had the 2 turbos.. it shouldnt be that much jus to run one big turbine.. just removing parts, and probably custom fab somethings.. i will have to look into it more..</div>

i agree with you ... the problem with the supras turbos as mine, is that full boost wont be achieved until 4300 rpms,but thats fairly quicker than upgraded ones hence the big jump youll get racing a single turbo, but there are setups that will be equal or more to build full boost. big single on our cars could be easily tuned to our specific needs. a/r housings etc etc, i would keep the bi-turbo setup and upgrade the stockers,like 16g,13b,20g, but it all depends on how much power you want, i think 500 hp street trim is more than enough for me as i have, but other people want more and more.