The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: in the market...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

in the market...

got a whole bunch of money right now and i want a new turbo without modifiing a whole lot. right now i have a t3/t4 hybrid 57 trim. so bassically i want another t3/t4 (so it bolts right on) thats anywhere from 57-60 trim. the only thing im picky about is it has to be ball bearing. i was lookin at the turbonetics t3/t4OE which has the ceramic ball bearing and its pretty cheap. anybody have a ball bearing turbo for feedback or anyone know any deals??? ill spend anywhere from 800-1200 bucks (i want one brand new BTW) thanks for any help in advance
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

why not just get everyones favotire BB turbo, the gt35r

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    GT35R ftw! IF you had a built motor. Since you dont, and you will only be running 8-12psi then the GT35R wont be the most efficient. How about a GT30R?

http://www.slowboyracing.com/estore/...at=2629&page=1
    7g for life!

Why does it have to be BB? If I were you, I'd go with a Borg Warner S256 in a T3 exhaust housing. They are non-ball bearing, but are supposed to spool quicker then their Garrett counterparts.
    B-Man
    91 Talon AWD
    01 Galant ES

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

Re: in the market...

Quote Originally Posted by ct96mitsug
    got a whole bunch of money right now and i want a new turbo without modifiing a whole lot. right now i have a t3/t4 hybrid 57 trim. so bassically i want another t3/t4 (so it bolts right on) thats anywhere from 57-60 trim. the only thing im picky about is it has to be ball bearing. i was lookin at the turbonetics t3/t4OE which has the ceramic ball bearing and its pretty cheap. anybody have a ball bearing turbo for feedback or anyone know any deals??? ill spend anywhere from 800-1200 bucks (i want one brand new BTW) thanks for any help in advance
    Send your old turbo to Precision/Garrett or Forced Performance and have them install a dual ball bearings CHRA. Its $750-$850 installed. This way you have ball bearing, you dont spend all your money and you know it works. Or, sell your old one, and get a ball bearing 50 trim. In my opinion anything larger than a 50 trim on a non-built motor isnt efficient because your working with such a low boost range. Those larger wheel'd T3/4's really shine at 20+psi and high up in the RPM band.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

On my vr4 i have a ceramic ball bearing 62-1 from turbonetics. The turbo responds great. everone i have talked to says they spool faster with the andular trust bearing

ok, let me throw some more info for ya. first off, i want the turbo's exhaust housing to have the standard 5-bolt pattern for the downpipe because i custom made it myself to fit my exhaust and i dont wanna have to make a new one. secondly im running 15psi on a fully tuned motor. and thirdly i want the right turbo for when i do build my motor which is really soon. im currently trying to work a deal with buying a brand new car right now and as soon as i do im gonna pull the motor out of the galant and build the bottom end (everything) and most likely swap the head to DOHC. then ill be running 25psi.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Youre running 15 psi on fully stock motor or do you turn it up to 15 psi sometimes? Thats pretty impressive if the motor is doing 15 psi stock.

its constantly set to 15psi. its holding out fine. i have it hooked up to a laptop for monitoring/datalogging and theres no knock or anything so as long as its goin strong thats the way im keeping it. i dont beat on it either, plus its tuned and it has the fuel system to suport it. im just waitin on my new car to build my galants motor...if i can talk this guy down to $20,000 for the car i want (cough cough evo) then ill be happy as hell lol

Youre running 15 psi on fully stock motor or do you turn it up to 15 psi sometimes? Thats pretty impressive if the motor is doing 15 psi stock.
    It can be done Aaron if your VERY VERY CAREFUL. There is a guy on club3g with a stock SOHC 4G64 running a 35R and AEM EMS making 400whp on the stock motor. Poor or improper tuning or engine management systems is what kills motors, of course the parts come into play at a certain level, but its possible.

CT if your looking to build the motor soon, go with a 35R, you can get it with a 5 bolt housing, just ask for it when you order. Also, you need to decide which exhaust housing to use. The .63 housing should spool fast on a 2.4 you should be able to spool 15psi by 4000RPMs, if you go with the .83 housing its not gonna spool to about 5000RPMs. Just my opinion here, if its a street car, go with the .63 housing, if you plan to only drag race and do highway racing and what not, then go for .83 housing.

Also VERY IMPORTANT. The 35R has a T04S compressor cover which is larger than the T04E cover on your 57 trim, make sure you have enough clearance to accomodate the larger cover. You also need to redo the intake and lower IC pipe sinec the 35R is 4" inlet 2.5" outlet.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

mine is a .63 anyway so ill stick with that. im still lookin around right now ill probably wont be purchasing it for a couple months i just wanted some feedback for now untill im positive i know what i want. thanks for all the info though guys

An SC61 is a pretty nice turbo as well, that can support quite a bit of power. They offer them crammed into a T04E cover as well, so you wouldn't have to change anything.
    B-Man
    91 Talon AWD
    01 Galant ES

Quote Originally Posted by Halon
    An SC61 is a pretty nice turbo as well, that can support quite a bit of power. They offer them crammed into a T04E cover as well, so you wouldn't have to change anything.
    Thats what I am currently running, but thats not that huge of a step up from the 57 trim, maybe 100hp increase.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

HOW are you monitoring knock?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

With an SC61 You'd be going from a turbo rated at something like 53lbs/min(57trim) to an SC61 rated around 65lb/min. So I'd say you can gain a little more the 100hp. Either way, a 100hp increase is a fairly significant jump in power. This turbo is pretty comparible to a GT35.

He also mentioned he wants it to bolt in without modifying much. An SC61 will yield you noticable gains power wise, yet can come in the exact same housings as the one you have right now, so you wouldn't have to change a thing.
    B-Man
    91 Talon AWD
    01 Galant ES

Quote Originally Posted by Halon
    With an SC61 You'd be going from a turbo rated at something like 53lbs/min(57trim) to an SC61 rated around 65lb/min. So I'd say you can gain a little more the 100hp. Either way, a 100hp increase is a fairly significant jump in power. This turbo is pretty comparible to a GT35.

He also mentioned he wants it to bolt in without modifying much. An SC61 will yield you noticable gains power wise, yet can come in the exact same housings as the one you have right now, so you wouldn't have to change a thing.
    And if you read the first post "the only thing im picky about is it has to be ball bearing" so go ahead and buy a ball bearing SC61 for $1300 when you can get a 35R for $50 more and its a better turbo.

Listen we can piss and moan about this topic for months, for me, this is my last post in this thread because it's just gonna go back and fourth.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I am not sure why you think I'm pissing or moaning about anything. Simply offered a suggestion for a turbo that will give him a significant increase in power, and bolt in without changing a thing since it's in the same shell as his current setup.

My apologies if I came off wrong, but re-reading my post I still don't see that I came off as a whiner. Just simply stating an option.

ExtremePSI sells this turbo, ball bearing, in an E, S, or Ported S cover for $1050 which is a bit cheaper than the $1300 GT35R from them.

Good luck in your choice though, sorry if something I said came out wrong, just trying to throw you some options.
    B-Man
    91 Talon AWD
    01 Galant ES

ive looked around for a while now and ive narrowed it down to either the turbonetics ceramic ball bearing or the garrett t3/t4 hybrid 57trim ball bearing. i like the garrett because its the same size as my turbo now and i found one for under a $1000. still lookin though...

have you done a boost leak test?
    are you 100% positivve that you have absolutely ZERO exhaust leaks... as in not a single one?

why is your spoolup so bad that you are dying for a bb chra right now when all you shoudl be wanting are cams and a higher redline?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

first off, ya ive done a boost leak test and im good. (tested to 28psi) secondly the exhaust has no leaks, i welded to whole thing myself. i am a ASME certified welder dude theres no leaks. im sure of that lol. and lastly i dont know why ur snapping at me i just want a bb turbo and ill work on the engine during the winter. it will all get done just one thing at a time. i can change a turbo in a couple hours. pulling the motor out and building it will take time. as soon as i find a 63' head to build ill start swapping it into the galant but thats gonna wait untill i buy a new car first. the cams and the rest of the internals will come when i am sure i have another vehicel to drive. thanks for the concern though lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast