The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Checking the A/C

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Checking the A/C

I took my father for a ride in my G today and he thought the A/C might be low, not as cold as it could be, so when I stopped to top off the tank, we looked for what he described as a piece of glass, not a gauge, but if it's low, you should see bubbles, and if the A/C is full, no bubbles will be present.

Well, we found the High and the Low valves, but not the compressor or the glass (I have no idea what it's called).

Where can I find the compressor and the glass gauge thing that shows if you are low or not? And um, it's a 1997, what kind does it take? A search came up with everything but anything to do with A/C.

Thanks guys!

The 7G and up all use 134a like all newer cars since it is much safer for the environment.

I don't remember seeing too many guages built in to measure the pressure. If anything you use a guage available in most HVAC areas or one that comes with the A/C recharge kit. You attach the guage to the low side with the car running and A/C maxed and get a pressure reading. Full is around 45 PSI, the amount of refrigerant needed is labeled on the hood.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

dang, it still blows cool air, just not cold like other cars i've owned, but i really don't want to buy a recharge kit unless i need it, i guess they sell gauges cheaper stand alone?

EDIT: um, yeah, forget that, lol, I'll just pick up a PSI gauge then at the local auto parts shop.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the bump...

My father calls it a sight glass by the way, I just never heard of the term, the A/C is the last thing I really care about, if there was a quick fix to it, then I'd do it. I haven't looked into it yet (need new tires and brake rotors first, safety always first) but he also said that just the PSI gauge would be pricey (and yes, for the price consious like me, who's about to lay down a couple hundred on rotors and tires, 20 bucks or so is pricey, lol). So the A/C is on the back burner for now...

Cool, brakes are much more important. You don't have to buy the guage yourself if your lucky :p.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...017926/c-10101
    I have a guage made by this same company except it's not fancy, but mine is capable of connecting to the High/low side and refrigerant can at the same time. Of course JC Whitney is gonna be pricey :p.

My father on the other hand who is a certified HVAC has something along the lines of this. Of course you will NEVER need this more than likely lol.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...017926/c-10101

Only reason I have my own is his isn't capable of connecting to a R134a system without the adaptor.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Awesome, less than 11 bucks, but with shipping hmmm... I think I may put that on my shopping list after all. Thanks!